Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uhh-Ohh….
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
mb911
QUOTE(Catorse @ Oct 5 2016, 08:55 AM) *

No heat required, they just spin right out with the right collet tool. You would NOT replace these with bolts, use bolts only for affixing the case to the yoke, then toss them and put the studs back.

Studs are ALWAYS stronger than bolts in this application which is why Porsche made it like that.

And the fact that bolts are meant to be removed thus potential for stripping threads etc. For some reason when I got this engine it didn't have studs.. I would like studs but I am using a factory engine mount so I need to search for the correct length.

You can use some heat if needed though it wont hurt anything.. I weld mangnesium at least once a week as I have a pile of fans and housings I am repairing for people.. It can be done safely
Larmo63
As far as the long studs on the fan side, I think I'll take out the two lower ones and the upper left side one. The right side can stay. (I'm using the Patrick mount, and it mounts flush.)

I love how when you download a newer version OS to your phone, you have to learn everything over again. For some reason, now I can't upload photos from my phone to my computer so I'm stuck explaining things in words.
forrestkhaag
I did the same thing / downloaded new software and my phone lost all data. Restored from the clown (D) and half of my photos are cloudless. WTF.gif Apple Sucks but they own the world and work and keep profits off shore to it.

Anyway, Larmo: Your parts look great ( 914-6 conversion parts Blue 6 ..not his parts)

My engine stand is awaiting your arrival for pickup if still needed as my motor is now in reassembly staging in LA with the Vasek Polak mechanic in charge. This is fun stuff and the cost is incidental compared to the living life part.

I like the PMS mount you invested in but will go with the Rich Johnson piece as it is in use on Steve's 3.6 and works fine.

A point is made as to weather or not one would ever take off all of the linkages cables, exhaust or headers and other tidbits just to lower the tranny to access the valves. I did enough valve tuning on my previous 911's to know the motor can stay where it is and accomplish the V-tune.

In the meantime my lowly 2.2L 4 has had a change in life moment for the past two +weeks. The character that built the motor in Dallas put on the build sheet "Weber/Empi" Carbs) for the intake and I didn't know enough at the time to know the word- "scam"..... So the EMIP 40 HPMX carbs (Not Weber) have died yet again / ran great thru rain and driving snow (can you say Flagstaff ramble 2016) for 362 fine days and since then have been a nightmare to keep in tune.. WTF.gif One day perfect. The next. DayOdd.

And to compound the dead (pronounced DayOdd) 914, one of my 2 ML's has a fried framasetter and is need a dealer infused ensquinchment ERG wobbler to correct the problems. 2500 hundred bucks later, my SUV works fine but the 914 still has EMPI carbs. To correct the problems I offered 2500 hundred bucks to the MBZ oraginazition and for that, my SUV works but the 914 still has EMPI carbs.

To get the 914 on the road again, I dropped a half grand on two brand shiny new REAL Webers for the 4 / this investment made, as I will not enthusiastically drive a Mercedes ML with all of the comforts of home while I sort out the 6 conversion..... which could go on for a while.....

Some call it crazy,... I call it ... romantic. (line from K-Pax)

beerchug.gif

Sidebar: Its like Christmas. You buy a bunch of cool toys for the kids and a really classy yacht for the wife...but you secretly buy a 911 motor for yourself - and get a present that keeps on giving.. lol-2.gif

76-914
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Oct 5 2016, 03:40 PM) *

I like the PMS mount you invested in but will go with the Rich Johnson piece

Damn it all, Lawrence. Now your mount has PMS! You truly are experiencing some bad times. av-943.gif lol-2.gif Surely it's not Karma stirthepot.gif beerchug.gif
euro911
I heard those PMS mounts:

1. Are extremely difficult to get into the right position to actually mount without liberal massaging

2. Produce a lot of whining and creaking noises the entire time you even attempt to mount it
Steve
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 5 2016, 04:31 PM) *

I heard those PMS mounts:

1. Are extremely difficult to get into the right position to actually mount without liberal massaging

2. Produce a lot of whining and creaking noises the entire time you even attempt to mount it

Those young whipper snappers always have to try something new. LOL
I have Rich Johnson's mount, boxster brake adapters and throttle cable kit. If he sold socks and underwear, I would buy that too!!
I do have a PMS oil cooler, 915 clutch adapter, 911 oil return line and 914-6 throttle cables from him, so i am an equal opportunity purchaser.
Larmo63
If Patrick uses their mount on all of the beautiful 914s they build, I think I can too. I like the PM mount as it spreads the weight distribution evenly. We shall see how difficult it is to get the motor in and if it makes any noise. Thanks for the buzzkill.

I have my hands full now with installing the PM oil tank, and detailing the engine compartment.

I can't wait to start grinding in there. Not.

welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
euro911
Yes ... grinding comes before mounting laugh.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 5 2016, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Catorse @ Oct 5 2016, 08:55 AM) *

No heat required, they just spin right out with the right collet tool. You would NOT replace these with bolts, use bolts only for affixing the case to the yoke, then toss them and put the studs back.

Studs are ALWAYS stronger than bolts in this application which is why Porsche made it like that.

And the fact that bolts are meant to be removed thus potential for stripping threads etc. For some reason when I got this engine it didn't have studs.. I would like studs but I am using a factory engine mount so I need to search for the correct length.

You can use some heat if needed though it wont hurt anything.. I weld mangnesium at least once a week as I have a pile of fans and housings I am repairing for people.. It can be done safely

You are welding it with TIG right?

Steve
The PMS mount wasn't available when I replaced my MSDS cross bar motor mount with the Rich Johnson mount 16 years ago. Otherwise I would of looked into it. I used to live in Chandler, AZ and visit Jims shop a lot and druel over all the projects. I wish I had the money to let him build me a ground up restoration dream machine. I ran the MSDS motor mount from 1986 to 2000 and only swapped it out because it didn't support heat exchangers. It only worked with headers.
Bulldog9
Sorry to hear Lawrence....

It looks like the situation is well in hand and you have a great new project.

Can you share any history on the motor that crapped out? Was it a main bearing or something else? How many miles and did you know what brand main bearing?

Good look on the new project, will follow with interest.

Thanks!
Larmo63
My engine is now properly on an engine stand. I took the 911 headers off and intend to drop the bottom plate. A little proctology with my new boroscope.

It should be a bit interesting to inspect the inside as there is not one thing I've seen in this engine that isn't shiny and brand new.

I did well on this purchase.

Steve
Can't wait to hear it!!
euro911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 6 2016, 08:08 PM) *
My engine is now properly on an engine stand. I took the 911 headers off and intend to drop the bottom plate. A little proctology with my new boroscope.

It should be a bit interesting to inspect the inside as there is not one thing I've seen in this engine that isn't shiny and brand new.

I did well on this purchase.
Get your damn phone camera issue squared away ...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

poke.gif
Larmo63
Apple Store Genius bar tomorrow…….

…..will report back
Larmo63
I spent a good deal of the morning at Apple, new hard drive to be installed in my laptop. 3-5 days until I get it back.

So, I soldier on....It's amazing how much I depend on my computer.

I took out the back pad and got the car on the really nice Esco jack stands that there was a thread on here. I'm working on getting the engine compartment in order, engine mount going in, drilling out the oil tank ports, usual stuff.

Still no photos..., sorry.
altitude411
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 8 2016, 09:20 PM) *

Still no photos..., sorry.

...huff dry.gif

popcorn[1].gif

Larmo63
So frustrated with Apple. Their new "photos" app yields no photos. I have tried everything. I can't get it to work.

headbang.gif
76-914
poke.gif Are you sure it's the computer? It took me about 15 tries before I figured out how to post pics off the Mac Book pro. It's intimidating if you just came off a PC. iPhone 6 or 7? One other thing. We tried everything to update my wife's 9 yo Mac. She spent hours on the phone with them and time at the Genius bar also before I broke down and bought her the latest model. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
The new OS works differently. I've always loved how the Apple system works. I've never owned a PC, always Apple.

It's not an old machine either, just a new hard drive and OS.
Larmo63
I think I fingered it out. This is the PM motor mount bolted in, I'll grind off the paint to prep for welding it in. Then the weld through primer.

Click to view attachment
altitude411
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

it's like the power going on after a three day blackout.
euro911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 10 2016, 07:41 AM) *
I think I fingered it out. This is the PM motor mount bolted in, I'll grind off the paint to prep for welding it in. Then the weld through primer.

Click to view attachment
Congrats.

You need to take care of that rust above the engine shelf, Goob.
Larmo63
No shit, Sherlock.

And, it's surface rust Goob.
boogie_man
You bastardo !! Efffing hate you Lamo...... shades.gif
PlantMan
I have to live vicariously through your efforts Lawrence.
With 4 kids, all my spending cash is going to private school!
No 6 for me anytime soon!
Larmo63
Boring holes in your car isn't boring......in fact, you really need to be on your game and not fuch up.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Kind of hard to see, but here's a rough draft. This is the first fit, things lined up well. I love the crawling in and out from under the car a thousand times! You think you have everything you will need, but there is always that one thing you forgot that is over on the workbench.....

Hanging out in my engine compartment is interesting. I may sleep there tonight. And, like I said before, black paint is your friend.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
This is the goal....

Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 10 2016, 11:47 AM) *
No shit, Sherlock.

And, it's surface rust Goob.
Yeah, but just pointing out that you might wish to do it before installing the motor ... otherwise, when you get it in and running, you might wonder ... in all the excitement, did you remember if you shot five, or six?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/V7Nci-GVuHE

poke.gif
Larmo63
I'm doing all the construction stuff first, then the pretty.....

Click to view attachment
Bulldog9
There's likely a few thrash cans filled with empty Bud Light and Keystone cans behind this sign........... classic.

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 10 2016, 06:40 PM) *

I'm doing all the construction stuff first, then the pretty.....

Click to view attachment

Larmo63
What do you do with the relay board when doing a conversion?

Move it? Remove it? Keep it?? idea.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 15 2016, 06:39 PM) *

I leave it in and use it to hold the voltage regulator. If you run an internally regulated alternator, you can remove it. If you are running an early 911 engine, you will need to find some place to put a tach amplifier. Without one, the tach won't work. The factory used the 914-6 relay board for that, but you could put it in behind the tach.

Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 15 2016, 04:39 PM) *

I dumped it 30 years ago. Never missed it.
Larmo63
I'm going to use the Clewett Engineering ignition set-up which I think has its' own wire to the tach.

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?main_page...p;products_id=2
Steve
I would check with Clewett for recommendations. Otherwise 30 years ago I bought a 914 and 911 Haynes manuels and did a stare and compare. Both the 911 and 914 tach have a black and purple wire that goes from the tach to pin 1 on the coil. All I did was replace the tach with a 911 tach and trace the wires with an volt ohm meter. Pretty simple.
Larmo63
I'm running these gauges, all vintage 914-6, notice the KPM speedo.....

Click to view attachment
Steve
Nice!!! The real sixes had the relay board. I liked the extra room, so I dumped it. I used a 928 connector to connect to the plug that plugs into the relay board. I made my own harness. Patrick sells the same thing. A carbureted engine is very simple.
Larmo63
I'm just planning out how all of this goes together and I'd rather not have the board in there if I can help it. I'd like to grind the holders out now, before I detail, weld, and paint the engine compartment.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions! beerchug.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 15 2016, 11:08 PM) *

I'm just planning out how all of this goes together and I'd rather not have the board win there if I can help it. I'd like to grind the holders out now, before I detail, weld, and paint the engine compartment.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions! beerchug.gif

Just make sure your alternator has a built in regulator. Mine did.
I still have receipt somewhere for the plug to build a harness.
Pretty simple.
Larmo63
I was going to have Kroon do my harness.
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 17 2016, 01:48 PM) *

Why? Perry did mine and real happy,uses standard relay board and it all works,great workmanship,he can custom build also.
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 17 2016, 05:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 17 2016, 01:48 PM) *

Why? Perry did mine and real happy,uses standard relay board and it all works,great workmanship,he can custom build also.

agree.gif save the overseas shipping and long turn around. Perry's your man.
Catorse
Harness? Come on Lawrence there's like 5 wires there!
Larmo63
I drained all remaining gas out of the car, pulled the tank and had my handy-dandy machinist friend make this custom aluminum tank plug for the return line inlet in the tank that I will not be using. It is made to be press fit, and with a bit of gas Permatex, it should do the trick.

Click to view attachment
McMark
Smart!
euro911
Cool idea, but can't we find a cap nut to do the same thing? Anybody know what size and TPI is that bung is?
Catorse
A cap nut would not seal as well. When you torque this down, you have a press fit on the tit that sticks out, which plugs the hole. THEN, the aluminum on the top side crushes against the nipple on the gas tank, like a crush washer. So it won't leak for sure.

That's the idea behind it. A cap nut would rely 100% on the threads to seal it which is sketchy for gas.
euro911
Not if a fibrous washer or an impervious rubber gasket were used in the cap nut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.