Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uhh-Ohh….
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 28 2017, 09:57 PM) *

I'm waiting on our carb guy to get my stuff back.

The wait is killing me.

Click to view attachment

Lawrence, your car is looking KILLER. Can't wait to hear what you think of it after you get to take your first drive in it.
Larmo63
Ethan, he has my turbo covers that he volunteered to mill a few weeks ago. He goes AWOL and is hard to get a hold of at times.

This is driving me mad, but I'm trying to stay calm.
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 28 2017, 09:57 PM) *

I'm waiting on our carb guy to get my stuff back.

The wait is killing me.

Click to view attachment

Is it the angle of the pics or does your exhaust stick way out?
Larmo63
I cut the pipes down to 6". I measured Andy's tail pipes at Jim Geer's (Banananose) house the other day, and I thought his looked about right.

I'll start with this muffler, but I may end up with something different. Stainless steel mufflers seems to sound pretty good.

I'd rather just use what I have.
76-914
You can always trim it later. It IS all about the sound. Looking good, kiddo. You should be driving this weekend. Just don't get down and out if you have a new set of problems to sort out once it runs. It is ALWAYS worth it for a SIX. beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
Lawrence, was gonna mention this to you, but you seemed "fragile" at the time. poke.gif

I bought this muffler as a placeholder on my way to one of the stainless mufflers (was hemming and hawing over which one, and bored to death of the stock muffler), and now the only thing I need to do is figure out what ceramic coating will get me close to a very light gray factory finish. This muffler made my 2.2 sound like a 3.0 down low, but it's still a screamer up top. Also, and I don't know what Dansk or Patrick Motorsports did, but it has none of the drone and other offenses usually associated with these sport mufflers—it goes away nicely on the freeway in fifth, and can be driven "quiet" on the street in second and third if you don't want to offend others. But, off the intersection, it sounds glorious, and on full throttle... wub.gif Everyone who has been in the car emerges wide-eyed at the sound. A certain ex-962/RSR driver remarked that it was the best-sounding 914-6 he'd ever been in, and a friend with expensive tastes (Ferrari F12, etc) wouldn't give the car back, mainly due to the sound. (I think he also has a sweet spot for 914s.)

Oh yes, and the price is right. Only bummer with the purchase was being offered a PCA discount (didn't ask for one) of 10 or 15% and then never getting it...wasn't so impressed with the salesperson, but we all make mistakes, and that includes me. And this may be the best $650 I've ever spent on my 914. YMMV. smile.gif

Muffler is here:
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/spo...er-911rs-914-6/

And, how it looks on the car:
mb911
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 30 2017, 08:37 AM) *

Lawrence, was gonna mention this to you, but you seemed "fragile" at the time. poke.gif

I bought this muffler as a placeholder on my way to one of the stainless mufflers (was hemming and hawing over which one, and bored to death of the stock muffler), and now the only thing I need to do is figure out what ceramic coating will get me close to a very light gray factory finish. This muffler made my 2.2 sound like a 3.0 down low, but it's still a screamer up top. Also, and I don't know what Dansk or Patrick Motorsports did, but it has none of the drone and other offenses usually associated with these sport mufflers—it goes away nicely on the freeway in fifth, and can be driven "quiet" on the street in second and third if you don't want to offend others. But, off the intersection, it sounds glorious, and on full throttle... wub.gif Everyone who has been in the car emerges wide-eyed at the sound. A certain ex-962/RSR driver remarked that it was the best-sounding 914-6 he'd ever been in, and a friend with expensive tastes (Ferrari F12, etc) wouldn't give the car back, mainly due to the sound. (I think he also has a sweet spot for 914s.)

Oh yes, and the price is right. Only bummer with the purchase was being offered a PCA discount (didn't ask for one) of 10 or 15% and then never getting it...wasn't so impressed with the salesperson, but we all make mistakes, and that includes me. And this may be the best $650 I've ever spent on my 914. YMMV. smile.gif

Muffler is here:
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/spo...er-911rs-914-6/

And, how it looks on the car:

The dansk along with my new to the market muffler are just as factory but with the factory guide are made into the sport muffler amd experience no drone.
Larmo63
I'm sticking with it until otherwise convinced that there is something better. My pipes are 6" and the ones on the Patrick part look longer.

I think I'll be fine.
Steve
6" is average. There is nothing to be ashamed of. I also have muffler envy and have compared mine to Andy and PMS.
Larmo63
By the way, my car has "officially" been christened......UNDERDOG.

That's the name, I can't argue.
euro911
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 30 2017, 08:07 PM) *
6" is average. There is nothing to be ashamed of. I also have muffler envy and have compared mine to Andy and PMS.
laugh.gif
Larmo63
My carb guy came by last night around 7:30 to drop off parts. I have the turbo covers we had milled, and other small things I needed like the 38mm crow's-foot to tighten the lower oil tank hose.

Carb linkage gets here today from Rich Johnson.

I still don't have air cleaners, but I can fire it this weekend. Maybe after cars and coffee tomorrow?
sb914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 1 2017, 08:32 AM) *

My carb guy came by last night around 7:30 to drop off parts. I have the turbo covers we had milled, and other small things I needed like the 38mm crow's-foot to tighten the lower oil tank hose.

I still don't have air cleaners, but I can fire it this weekend. Maybe after cars and coffee tomorrow?

Great news Larry ! I'm stoked for you.
ndfrigi

Sir Lawrence, Can't wait to see a video of the 1st start and hear the sound!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 1 2017, 07:32 AM) *

After watching this with awe for so long, don't use the word "fire" in relation to the build!

Wishing you luck!
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 2 2017, 03:32 AM) *

Getting close...wow,to speed things up you can fit the oil tank suction hose first,I simply had to ,no way in the world I could get any type of spanner in there headbang.gif ,it tales a couple of attempts to get it in the right spot but it worked for me,maybe it depends on what tank you are using and how the hose end comes off the tank suction.
I spent a fair amount of time fitting the hoses in a "relaxed" positions to remove any stress on the oil cooler and case return for instance,I think this is important.
BTW sent you a PM beer.gif .
porschetub
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 2 2017, 03:49 AM) *

Sir Lawrence, Can't wait to see a video of the 1st start and hear the sound!

Me too Noel,one of the best days for me when my six coughed ,farted, smoked then cleared and settled to a nice idle....priceless w00t.gif w00t.gif
forrestkhaag
Yes. A nice idle is worth its weight in gas at California prices.

Perry has given me some great advice on the effect of crap in the gas even with four filters in line. Keith and i did a little fine tuning on my carbs and shift linkage for the wonderful early drive to C&C in San Somewhere South of here tomorrow am / then on to Larmo's for some final (HA!) tweaks / then oil in, smoke out, and cheers all around.

The Tortoise is finally coming around the bend and we are beating the backside of that chassis until she crosses the 3/4 pole. The rest in in the winning.

By the way / Keith is the new Weber 40 Guru on tuning. One can wait forever for sage advice from the Guru that has experience / experience that never shows up to help / but repeated trial and retrial has solved most all of my carb issues described in earlier ravings.......... Methodical careful adjustments / correct jetting / correct and balanced linkage / all play a part

We could have a cool barbecue somewhere where we could have maybe 6 or 8 Weber festooned cars to discuss and demo tuning tricks for things like the hidden passage blockages, linkage demons, venting on one's venturi's, and getting jetting.

Of course red meat will be on the barbi.......

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 30 2017, 06:48 PM) *

I'm sticking with it until otherwise convinced that there is something better. My pipes are 6" and the ones on the Patrick part look longer.

I think I'll be fine.

Nobody into " 3 is a crowd " ?
Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Steve, Keith, and Forrest arrived this morning to check up on the build and to help me adjust the transmission, shifter, and clutch. Much kudos for the help!Oil tank is full, tomorrow is gasoline day and fire up. Keith will be here to help me adjust the carbs and linkage. Steve lent me the tools to tighten up the bugger oil hose up underneath the oil tank. Adam/Catorse also contributed to the build with a few linkage parts.

Forrest arrived with his sly sense of humor and typical banter.

I can't thank these guys enough.
euro911
Geez, I guess I'm gonna have to buy a house in OC to get any help poke.gif

When are you going to turn the key?
Larmo63
Today is engine start day. Hopefully I can drive the car around a bit, too.

Stay tuned.
Larmo63
Carbs and linkage work, gasoline, and BINGO!!!

The GT Dansk sounds growly and real 911. I couldn't be happier. There are a few things to rearrange and re wire, but I drove it, and to those who told me "wait until you drive one," OMG, lots of power, I got wood, and.....

This was all worth it.
horizontally-opposed
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
Steve
Congrats!!!!
beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif
Lucky9146
Saw your post this morning that today was the day and have been waiting and checking all day for the good news.

Congrats! beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif

And really good to hear you say it was worth it!
Coondog
Congrats
ndfrigi
Congratulation sir Lawrence and I'm sure worth the wait and for long patience!
Any video of the 1st drive?
Maltese Falcon
Congrats Lawrence... and many smiles per gallon clap56.gif clap56.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif smilie_flagge24.gif smilie_flagge24.gif
Marty
Socalandy
Congrats Man driving.gif Big day!!!
Blue6
Congrats Lawrence, and doing most of it yourself should make you very proud..... cheer.gif
Krieger
piratenanner.gif Awesome! Way to hang in there and make it happen!
Larmo63
I'll try to get some video up tomorrow. The car idles nicely and sounds really good.

I still have a few things to work out, but I got over a huge hump today.
porschetub
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif ,wow been waiting and watching ...excellent you must be stoked.
Now the real work begins all the little tidy up jobs,mind you hopefully you won't be as slow as me confused24.gif .
banananose914
Hey Lawrence. Ya done good! It appears you have also found a way to siphon large amounts of money to feed your project.
AZ914
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

beerchug.gif
flyer86d
Great news! Congrats!

Charlie
sb914
Way to go Larry!
914_7T3
Even with your VW exhaust set-up, the car looks pretty awesome! Hope to see it out in Temecula. poke.gif

clap56.gif clap56.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif MDB2.gif MDB2.gif rolling.gif rolling.gif dance.gif dance.gif rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif party.gif party.gif monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif rock_band.gif rock_band.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Jumpy.gif Jumpy.gif clap.gif clap.gif dancinnanner.gif dancinnanner.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
IronHillRestorations
Huzzah! Huzzah!
Larmo63
The GT Porsche muffler sounds like no VW I know of!!!!!

beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 4 2017, 08:50 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Right... beerchug.gif Congrats,
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 4 2017, 08:48 PM) *

Again congratulation sir Lawrence! Thanks for the video. Sounds is great! A real six sound!
914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 4 2017, 09:50 AM) *

beerchug.gif

You're right on that one, sounds nothing like my 1,600 cc. It's pretty bad ass!

pray.gif
euro911
Awesome, Goob. beerchug.gif
Steve
Sounds awesome!! Do your neighbors hate you yet?
Larmo63
Joey across the street said "I didn't know you got a Harley."

(that was before the air cleaners went on)
horizontally-opposed
Dude. That thing sounds GRRRRRRRREAT.

(and kinda familiar) biggrin.gif

Looks great, too. Love the black and the deep sixes in rough finish. Your car has really come together. Just wait til you start driving that mid-engined symphony around..

Congratulations, again, Lawrence. beerchug.gif
SixerJ
Congratulations, massive achievement and officially on the down hill from here on in. Enjoy

Oh and BTW a little bit of you will forever be in England - thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.