Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uhh-Ohh….
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 14 2017, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 14 2017, 03:34 PM) *

I had my car up at Richard's shop in San Clemente. It's nice to get a real 911 expert to look your build over and tune the car. He re-jetted the carbs, re-torqued the heads and adjusted the valves.

It runs so much better, it was lean all around. He also caught a few loose bolts here and there, gave it the once over.

driving.gif

first.gif Always nice to have a third party go over your build.

Excellent points "real 911 expert" and "third party". Sounds like a smart thing to do and I look forward to a similar experience. smile.gif
white914.jpg
Larmo63
Some good Dallas Steering Wheels love came FedEx today, expensive, but WTH, it's Christmas.....

Click to view attachment
raynekat
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 16 2017, 04:22 PM) *

Some good Dallas Steering Wheels love came FedEx today, expensive, but WTH, it's Christmas.....

Click to view attachment

Very nice looking.
Bet it'll feel great in your hands as well.
Krieger
agree.gif Excellent looking wheel!
mepstein
They have done 7 wheels for me. Always very pleased.

It’s not cheap but it’s the part you look at and touch so much, it’s worth it.
Larmo63
We went out by Camp Pendleton for a little father-son-Porsche bonding. My 26 year old drove the /6 for the first time, he didn't want to drive it back to Dad's house....

(can't attach the video)
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 26 2017, 08:57 PM) *

We went out by Camp Pendleton for a little father-son-Porsche bonding. My 26 year old drove the /6 for the first time, he didn't want to drive it back to Dad's house....

(can't attach the video)

I've downloaded and watched several times, nothing like a long empty road with a screaming flat six-engined 914 going by driving.gif
Marty
Larmo63
My clutch seems like it is chattering a bit lately. Is this a symptom of a throw-out bearing going out? Warped flywheel? Clutch going? Everything seems like it is adjusted correctly, all gears and trans working fine. Clutch tube? Something loose? I need ideas on diagnosis before I pull the transmission to take a look. Everything in there is new; 228mm FW, PP, & matching clutch. Irritating, only about 2500 miles on this set up.

I mostly have issues in low RPMs, then it seems to go away at full scream.

Not looking forward to pulling it, but I know something isn't right. headbang.gif
euro911
My Vanagon started exhibiting the same thing no too long ago ... when taking off from a dead stop, but only intermittently.

The motor is currently out (being built up to a 2.1L) so I'll take a look at the clutch components and ask my builder (Randy at Automeister) what he thinks was causing it.

When he pulled the trans to replace a leaking RMS in it back in 2014, all the clutch components looked fairly new. Only put a couple thousand miles since then confused24.gif
djway
Glazing, oil on the assembly, broken clutch tube. You can look in the tunnel to see of the clutch tube is moving with pedal compression. I am restoring a 914 right now that the tube was broken away in several spots. Most VWs I have worked on have the same problem. I add extra bracing when I do the repair. Good luck.
76-914
Clutch tube would effect cable moment and movement. Do some hard starts a few times and let the clutch out slowly so it kinda slips. If there is oil on the disc it will burn off and get better. That won't stop the oil from getting on the disc but it will help you rule that out if'n that's what's happening. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
Do the rubber/fuzzy track seals just slip in from the top? I think you take the plastic cap/top thing off, then slide 'em in?

I'm talking about the front ones of the roll up window, on the wind wing post.....
IronHillRestorations
Fuzzy strips go in the aluminum channel before the channel is installed, there's holes in the strips that should line up with the mounting holes. Those are a pain
Larmo63
I'm looking at this closer window, my track has the plastic rollers. I hate the rattle when I close the door.

I don't think this rubber is right for my car. And, I ordered two rubbers, I guess they come as a set, I received four.

I have an early '73, I thought this would be considered a "late car?" Do I need new rollers?
76-914
Yours isn't early style so your good on the rollers. The aluminum track that the fuzzy attaches to has 3-4ea small #3 or #4 Phillips head countersunk screws. They're almost always frozen and you need a screwdriver with a small tip. I've drilled them out but that's a PITA too. I use a 10" long #40 bit and flex the bit to line up and drill out. Once you finally get that little bastard off your mostly done. You still need to anchor the aluminum strip which has the new fuzzy strip and sometimes you need to relocate where the screws go because the old spot is trashed after you get it apart. Many steps. I've got this coming up on the '70 in the next few weeks. beerchug.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 16 2017, 04:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Wheel looks great smilie_pokal.gif !! Is that horn configuration an OE or aftermarket option?
Larmo63
Porsche "hockey puck" set up.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 14 2018, 07:05 PM) *

Porsche "hockey puck" set up.

Cool! Looks like a repro is made smile.gif

https://www.zuffenhaus.us/product/911rs-horn-button/
Larmo63
What is the trick to a rattling driver's side window? It rattled when rolled down anywhere past full closed, so I've been working on fixing it.

My car is an early '73, early cable style window mechanism:

1) I put a new (used) lower corner block in the rear (it was missing) and greased the track a bit

2) New rollers (914 Rubber kit) in the front track and cleaned it

3) New top of the door felts/fuzzies (914 Rubber)

4) New rear plastic guide/end top block (914 Rubber)

The whole thing is better than it was, but still rattles a bit too much for my taste.

Am I missing something? Grease in the front track?

Help?
76-914
Post a side view pic of your window fully down sitting in the drivers seat. I want to see the top of the window in relation to the wiper or squeegee. Take another from the top looking straight down. You didn't wear that damned Speedo anywhere near that car did you? That could have warped your entire 914. av-943.gif

EDIT: Is #3 the fuzzy strips?
rhodyguy
How are the little rollers that ride up and down in the front post? Did you replace the press on fuzzy strip that goes on the inner top door lip?
Larmo63
New roller kit and new fuzzies
Larmo63
Say hello to my lil' frenn...........1955 bug arrivedClick to view attachment

TravisNeff
Beautimous!
euro911
Nice drooley.gif
ValcoOscar
April fools deja vu..... dry.gif
Lucky9146
That's a nice Dub! beerchug.gif I'm with Oscar, hard to believe after that last stunt you pulled in April but I do see the 914 in the garage still, so I think it is for real. popcorn[1].gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
What a cool pairing. shades.gif

What I am trying to figure out is how your 914 has not yet been COTM. Just has "the look," which isn't always easy to do with narrow body cars.

Keep on keepin' on.
Larmo63
Thanks, Pete.

No, no trick. I'd been looking for a while for an old bug and this one was family owned for many, many years in San Diego. I took the train down on Friday to drive it back. It's a two owner car, I'm the third owner. The guy I bought it from is 86 years old and suffering from Alzheimer's. He was so happy for me, but I don't think he really knew what was going on. Great family to deal with, and I bought it at a very fair price too. It's quite complete, some things need to be addressed as far as upholstery, but nothing bad.

Funny, when I was getting ready to sign the paperwork and get going with it, they kept loading it up with old parts. Mostly brake drums and other heavy stuff in boxes. I haven't gone through it all, but it was a LONG drive home up the coast.

I wanted to toss brake drums out on the side of the freeway to lighten the load. I goes about 65 top speed. 36 horsepower isn't quick.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 3 2018, 01:31 PM) *

Thanks, Pete.

No, no trick. I'd been looking for a while for an old bug and this one was family owned for many, many years in San Diego on Friday.. Two owner car, I'm the third owner. The guy was 86 and suffering from Alzheimer's. He was so happy, but I don't think he really knew what was going on. Great family to deal with, I bought it at a very fair price too. It's very complete, some things need to be addressed as far as upholstery, but it's nothing bad.

Funny, when I was getting ready to sig paperwork and get going with it, they kept loading it up with old parts. Mostly brake drums and some other heavy stuff in boxes. I haven't gone through it all, but it was a LONG drive home up the coast.

I wanted to toss brake drums out on the side of the freeway to lighten the load. I goes about 65 top speed. 36 horsepower isn't quick.

Sounds like a Type IV upgrade is in your future
ValcoOscar
Okay..upon further review I can't see any evidence of photoshopping.

Congrats..what a perfect stable mate.
Beach914
Hey let's put my set of AA flares on it.......that way you can leave the teener alone. lol-2.gif
Maltese Falcon
Decades apart and a perfect pair from Germany ...congrats !
mgp4591
Wow, what a beauty! You could build your old 4 and drop it in... 100hp would be better for safety, cruising, your patience, etc. You'd never need to push it and just enjoy the ride - of course keep the original engine. But an amazing find - congrats!
porschetub
My girl friend and I did one of these up years ago,the motor had been fully recond with all new parts by the aircraft engineer we bought it off,the gearbox was really sick so we adapted a later box,the old girl drove really well after we did the brakes up.
Great score enjoy beerchug.gif .
76-914
What's next; an Isso Moped?
Larmo63
The tires were out of date and cracked, so I put a new set of Firestone bias ply on today.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Even though I'm not a bug fan (hated being shoved in the back of them on hot days), Just opening your garage door and seeing the two cars, side by side, must make you very happy. Congrats. beerchug.gif
914_7T3
Even I am hesitant to call bs.gif at this point. However, I expect to see it first hand at Suspension Swap Saturday before offering heartfelt congratulations!

smile.gif
Larmo63
Will 911 3 1/2" spacing aluminum (908 style) calipers fit under 6 x 15 deep sixes?

I think they will, but I'm asking for another opinion.....
sixnotfour
#1 908 style ? 911s had aluminum calipers ..76 turbo back,,so yes they. will fit......#2 what year do you have??

take pic ask pmb
flyer86d
Yes, they will fit. Way back when in the early 1980’s, my sister and her husband at the time had a 73 914 2 liter autocross car that had 911S front suspension with big aluminum calipers and 15 X 6 deep six alloys. I have both the suspension, brakes and those wheels off that car. My sister flipped it at Lime Rock and wrote the car off.

Charlie
horizontally-opposed
If you are talking about 911S calipers, yep, they should fit just fine. If you're talking about 908 calipers, that's a question for Dave Conklin and/or Eric Shea (there are others, I am sure).

As for the alloy PMB calipers, I can confirm they sit behind deep sixes very nicely, with or without spacers.

Your 914 is looking great....and I find that garage shot next to the Beetle, also in black, mesmerizing.

beerchug.gif

mepstein
908 calipers fit and function the same as 911S. Our set of 908 calipers have thick pads and quick change hardware but except for some minor differences that I understand was to fit 13” wheels on the 908 hill climb cars, they look just like 911S calipers.
Larmo63
They aren't 908 calipers and they got bought out from under me. headbang.gif

I'm looking to lower unsprung weight.
Larmo63
I'm still thinking of doing the complete 911/914-6 steering column switcheroo. And left side switch.

Should I do an early dash too? I have the clamshell now too.Click to view attachment

mepstein
When you say “early dash” do you mean steel sub dash, top and bottom dash pad and larger glove box? Re-route the side vents. How far do you want to go?

Eric’s GT made it on Leno’s garage with a column mounted ignition.
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 9 2019, 09:39 PM) *

They aren't 908 calipers and they got bought out from under me. headbang.gif

I'm looking to lower unsprung weight.

If you have 3.5” struts then yes, 911S calipers. Alfa Romeo calipers for 3” struts.
Ends up costing about $100 per pound saved.
sixnotfour
5 holes no rewire,914-4 ign switch...just sayin..REDRUM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.