Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bearing like noise at left rear suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I have a noise on the left rear suspension that sounds like a bearing but it's not .
I checked the wheel for play , there is none, I swapped the tires, no change , brakes are new proper clearance set , rotors are new.

The noise seems to come at all rpms , all gears when I hit 70 mph.

Any help appreciated .
okieflyr
I had a similar noise at one time and it turned out to be a small stone wedged in a brake pad joint. I hope yours is as simple.
rgalla9146

I once changed a rear wheel bearing on a 930 only to find out it was worn tires.
914itis
Ties are good , I even swapped them to make sure .
Geezer914
Jack the car up and spin the wheel. You will hear it grinding if the bearing is bad. Also grab the tire at 3 & 9, then 6 & 12, and check for any play.
914Mike
CV Joint?

Wheel bearings usually have some play when they start getting noisy.
rjames
Does it go away when turning left or right? If yes likely the bearing. Fix it and inspect the CVs as that's a good time to do it. Both jobs really suck. biggrin.gif
914itis
Non play on wheel , no noise when making turns, I have a feeling that it is the CV.
Rockaria
I had the exact same problem. Turned out it was my CV joints. I was able to add grease to the joints without removing them from the car. I squirted grease past the rubber seal. I then massaged the grease with the rubber cover to get grease into the small areas.

Three years later I still have no noise and the car drives perfectly. I even have a new set of joints an bearings ready to go when its time for a full rear end rebuild. But for now it is working perfectly.

QUOTE(914itis @ Apr 17 2016, 06:25 PM) *

Non play on wheel , no noise when making turns, I have a feeling that it is the CV.

djway
I had the same noise especially when turning left. Changed the bearings both sides, no change. A mechanic friend said it was on the right side and I argued it was left as the angle increased. It wound up being a loose CV on the outboard drivers side. One broken bolt and the rest were loose. The inner spider showed metal fatigue in several spots.
Well on the good side everything in the rear has been replaced or serviced and it has no more noise smile.gif
malcolm2
I love taking things apart. This video from Van is perfect. If you remove the axle you think is noisy (after you check for CV bolt tightness), you can follow part 1 and part 2 of Van's videos and you will find a worn, pitted spider, or broken cage or something.

If you are not on a strict budget, buy 2 joints from Tangerine and install them. While you wait on shipping you can spiff up the half shaft. If you do have a strict budget, you can probably find a few guys here that will help find a replacement for the worn part. Have fun and get some gloves. piratenanner.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsytyVzokBg

and part 2 (the re-assembly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOma2BMhrzc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.