Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So I found out why my alternator wasn't working...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kellygeorge
I've had my 914 for a few months, and it has had a couple owners before me. But a week or so ago the "Generator" light on my dash went crazy. Eventually the car wouldn't start.

Click to view attachment WTF.gif

I wonder if that is the original belt. Certainly seems like it could be.
Rand
Lol, that would do it. Reminds me of an experience with my first car, a 1970 Datsun 510. I was cruising along about 70mph when all the sudden it sounded like my engine scattered big time. Pulled over immediately, popped the hood, and saw the fan belt started coming apart and the pieces that let go were thrashing around against everything making the noise. Big relief.

Fortunately there was enough left of the belt I was able to trim the loose flappy bits with a pocket knife, snug it up a little and make it to a parts house.

Good reminder to check over all important rubber parts. At least we don't have to worry about radiator hoses too. wink.gif
euro911
Always carry a spare belt in an air-cooled car cool_shades.gif
Rand
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 16 2016, 11:27 PM) *

Always carry a spare belt in an air-cooled car cool_shades.gif

Because it drives the alternator. Unless you have an aftermarket air-driven alternative? [sarcarsm]
einic
Thats the big difference between the T1 bug engine and the T3/4 engines. On the type 1 the belt also drives the cooling fan. Big upgrade with the crank driven fan on T3/4 engines.
Rand
Why did T1 come into this? The TIV has an alternator belt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.