Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent rough running... what should I be looking for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cuda911
Spent all day driving down the coast. Stopped a bunch of places. All day long, the car ran perfectly.

Then stopped for a couple hours for dinner. When I started it up, it ran fine, but then stalled out at the first traffic light when I let up on the gas. This happened a few more times. When running, it would buck like a bronco. Heel-toed it at every light to keep it from stalling. Got on the freeway, and it was still bucking. But, after about 5 or 10 miles, everything went back to running fine.

So, what's up with that? What should I be looking for to prevent this in the future?

'74, 1.8, FI.

Thanks!

JeffBowlsby
Oil the advance weights lately? 1 drop 30 wt in the center of dizzy shaft every year.
dangrouche
Heat soak on fuel pump? . Is pump in factory location? Dirty fuel tank? I had a 911 that drove well but once the dirt stacked up on the fuel fiter it sputtered. Shut it off. Then restarted and ran well.
boxsterfan
Shorting of the seatbelt interlock relay under the passenger seat?
AZ914
I had the 'stop-light-stall' problem back when I was still running with points... just a thought.
jor
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Apr 18 2016, 11:44 AM) *

I had the 'stop-light-stall' problem back when I was still running with points... just a thought.

agree.gif

It sounds like points to me.
Cuda911
Thanks, all. The points is is were supposedly replaced when I bought the car, but I have since found that a number of items, for which there were paid invoices, were not actually done by the mechanic that billed for the work.

I did have the seat belt interlock bypassed, so that's a good place to check too.

Fuel pump is in stock location. It has a pretty new fuel filter, but that's sure easy and cheap to replace. Nope, I have never oiled the dizzy shaft, so another cheap and simple thing I can try.

Thanks, all!
TheCabinetmaker
Points will not go wonky then go back to normal. When the dwell degrades it stays that way till points are closed and will no longer run. A bad coil will cause those problems, as will a failing condenser.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.