Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two quick L-Jet questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob-O
Doing some initial refitting as I go back to L-Jet.

Question #1: Are there supposed to be any gaskets between the head and the intake manifold OTHER than the roughly 10mm thick phenolic gasket? I ask because the carb set up I pulled off had both metal gaskets and cardboard-ish gaskets.

Question #2: Trying to determine the correct orientation of the oil filler neck. Does the vacuum hose fitting point towards the passenger compartment firewall? Or towards the rear of the car? See pictures.
orthobiz
Oil filler vacuum hose points to the rear.

Pau
jim_hoyland
Oil port point to the rear; a hose will join the FI boot. Be sure it seals, a vacume leak hear will be a problem

Manifold only uses a thick phenolic spacer/gasket
r_towle
L-jet is very sensitive (won't run right) to vacuum leaks.
So, at the manifold gaskets, a paper covered phenolic spacer, and I use a thin covering of liquid gasket (copper) on both sides of that spacer....

You need to be super detailed in assembly to ensure no leaks.

Make sure you have both the gasket and o ring in the oil filler cover...

The vent line faces the intake manifold on the engine, not away from it.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 18 2016, 02:37 PM) *

L-jet is very sensitive (won't run right) to vacuum leaks.

agree.gif In addition; use new hoses and replace any T connectors. I've had T-connectors crack and cause leaks as well as hose' ( especially the small ones ) get real brittle and slowly break apart. An air leak will become apparent when the engine rpms seems to hunt at idle; up then down. In any case, it's critical..... Good luck with the reinstall smile.gif smile.gif
Rob-O
Thanks for the replies, gentleman.

I've got new manifold gaskets, new vacuum hoses and a ton of other stuff coming from Pelican. Sent the injectors to WitchHunter and expect the TB back from Phil Eslin any day now (there is a recent thread on his TB restorations). The only vacuum hose I'm reusing is the one from the oil filler to the elbow between the AF meter and the TB. But I've cleaned that one up and inspected it thoroughly. I also have some hose clamps to make sure it's getting a good seal.

Good idea on the copper sealant, I'll pick some up today. I've checked the heads and removed any of the old carb gaskets. The intake runners were powder coated. Not where the manifold meets the head however. That part was lightly bead blasted to remove any crud.

I'll put a proper thread together once I start assembly. Oh, and I've got Clay Perrine in the wings who will be helping with install when I get to that point. Hopefully in the next week or two.

Now I'm off to check continuity on the FI harness and the engine harness.
Rob-O
Forgot to add that I have and installed a new O-ring on the oil filler cap. Also a new cork gasket at the bottom of the filler assembly. The seal at the top of the cap is on back order from Bug Depot. If it does t get here soon I'm sure I can find one sourced locally from Zims.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.