Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 901 Regear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frankiec@outrageous.net
I have a 914 with a 3.2 in it. It has a 901 side shifter 4cyl transaxle so the gearing is such that I'm using the tranny as a 4 speed, starting in 2nd. This works OK and is fun in some situations but I'd like to get gearing that suits the 3.2 as I'm a back roads kind of guy and take the occasional cruise. I checked with some shops and to regear my gearbox seemed (I'm not being critical of the amounts per se) a bit high for my budget. The cost was in the 2K range. A thought I had was to get a 901 transaxel from a 911 that would be close to what I want for gearing. Anyone out there done this? Cost? Time?
Correct year transaxle?

Thanks, Frankie
Mark Henry
You can regear, get a higher 5th, but it will still be a 4 speed with a granny gear.

You start using 1st gear hard with a 3.2 and your tranny won't last very long.

I'll be using A, F, O, X, HB
r_towle
I never use 1st in the 3.2 911 unless I am at a complete stop.

If it really does not work for you, get a 915 tranny from a 911 and flip the diff, there are kits out there for this.

Rich
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 18 2016, 05:12 PM) *

If it really does not work for you, get a 915 tranny from a 911 and flip the diff, there are kits out there for this.

Rich

Not for a $2K budget. shades.gif
brant
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 18 2016, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 18 2016, 05:12 PM) *

Rich

Not for a $2K budget. shades.gif

agree.gif
r_towle
The solution to his issue won't match his budget.....at least today
AZ914
I have an X gear (4th) and a flipped H (5th) in my 3.2 1st is worthless. This 5th is a great freeway gear.

You could check with member Dr. Evil as he does trans work to see if its more affordable than your local shop. You can always just send him the gear stack (instead of the entire unit) if you don't want to do the work yourself.
toolguy
Just a thought before you make 5th longer. . the reason the factory used a ZA for the 6 vs the ZD in the 4 cylinder engine was associated with engine cooling. . They determined 'somehow' that the Six needed to turn more RPMs for best efficient engine cooling from the fan at highway speeds. . granted a 3.2 won't be working as hard as a 2.0 so maybe it's a toss up. . Just a thought.

As far as changing gear sets, you can do it with the trans in the car but lowered at the rear. . cuts work effort and should cut costs but I'd wonder if a shop would tell you that. .
PanelBilly
Or save up the $ and get the gears that you want.
r_towle
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 18 2016, 08:38 PM) *

Or save up the $ and get the gears that you want.

Ding.
Winner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.