Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: which high torque starter from ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
has anyone recently bought one of the 130$ ebay starters?

I remember one needed a shim and didn't engage correctly
(I remember helping silva pull his damaged -6 flywheel after it ate the teeth off)

does anyone remember which are the better ones, versus the ones to stay away from?

last night the car did the hot start thing again after 20 minutes of idling in the garage
I think I need to give in and buy the ebay starter before RT66

thanks all!
brant
Kansas 914
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 18 2016, 03:01 PM) *

has anyone recently bought one of the 130$ ebay starters?

I remember one needed a shim and didn't engage correctly
(I remember helping silva pull his damaged -6 flywheel after it ate the teeth off)

does anyone remember which are the better ones, versus the ones to stay away from?

last night the car did the hot start thing again after 20 minutes of idling in the garage
I think I need to give in and buy the ebay starter before RT66

thanks all!
brant

Brant - you might check with Clay Perrine. It is all he will use and should know which one. I have one on my red car and it has been on there for years - works great but know where it came from. It has a bright blue rubber boot on the electrical lug if that helps.
Kansas 914
Double Post
Cuda911
I was having terrible hot start issues. Replaced the starter with this one. So far (fingers crossed) have not had any hot start issues.

BeatNavy
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Apr 18 2016, 07:46 PM) *

I was having terrible hot start issues. Replaced the starter with this one. So far (fingers crossed) have not had any hot start issues.

I've had one of those sitting on my shelf for several months waiting for the chance (or requirement?) to install. But the ol' stock starter has been hanging in there. Today it was in the 80's for the first time this season, and after a brief stop at a store on the way home from work it wasn't very happy. I think I barely got the car started after prolonged cranking. May be time to bite the bullet and put that one on.
tomrev
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Apr 18 2016, 03:46 PM) *

I have also used this one on my Chevy powered 914's with good results.
stownsen914
I think that's the one I have on my 3.5L 911 racecar. Mine did come with a shim but I didn't use it. I've had it in the car a few years and a bunch of events on it with no issues - I'm happy with it.

Scott
brant
anyone recommend an affordable source?
there used to be many knock off's on ebay for 130?, but I don't see any listings now...

brant
Cuda911
WOW... that sure worked out great! What a coincidence that someone posted up one for sale, just as you were looking for one!
brant
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Apr 19 2016, 03:40 PM) *

WOW... that sure worked out great! What a coincidence that someone posted up one for sale, just as you were looking for one!

Yes. Today somebody was looking out for me..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.