Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: factory Sway...........Yep they're there!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
The Sunflower yellow 75 I brought home this week end has the sway bars front and rear.

Click to view attachment Front sway bar and arm
and rear sway bar and arm Click to view attachment

They're there, but do they make a difference? any information or experience would be helpful.

Thanks
914Sixer
YES ! They help on cornering and suspension control. They were a big help prior to gas shocks.
porschetub
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 19 2016, 11:52 AM) *

The Sunflower yellow 75 I brought home this week end has the sway bars front and rear.

Front sway bar and arm
and rear sway bar and arm

They're there, but do they make a difference? any information or experience would be helpful.

Thanks

The PO I bought my six conversion off stated that the rear one didn't achieve much,I personally don't know but his comments made me think it is rather small in diameter and it is a mid engine car afterall so he could be right,he had race experience when he had the 2 litre in the car.
The front one really helps as seen on here with many members retro fitting them.
I had turbo sway bars on my 944 2.7 but the rear bar was changed back to stock as the ride was ...really firm,the front one was really large and helped cornering however.
Reason I mentioned the 944 as it has a similar weight balance to the 914.
JeffBowlsby
Won't do any good for your car. It has no engine.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 18 2016, 07:16 PM) *

Wrong...........It has a engine. it just isn't installed. bootyshake.gif

JimN73
In autocross and fast turn situations, the rear swaybar lifts the inside rear wheel. Very weird and uncomfortable - I took it off after a couple of events.

On the street, I didn't feel much difference with the rear bar.
pete000
Front bar is a big plus, rear bar has its pros and cons depending on the situation and set up.

Many who have a rear bar pop off one of the links for some situations where the rear bar isn't helping.

I like my rear bar, the car corners very nice, but I do not track it so I would imagine on a track event it might be a different story possibly requiring it to be disconnected.
JamesM

Every 914 that gets driven should have a front swaybar, I wont own one without it.

Rear bar may be more trouble than its worth on a car that didnt have it from the factory.
Larmo63
Your rear "bar" is invisible, as is your engine and your CV joints.

My experience with sway bars was that in my first 914, I liked my front sway bar, then loved it with both front AND rear, but I will delete the rear one when my /6 goes in.

This is pretty common 914 knowledge.
EdwardBlume
I'm a believer in the stock rear bar with 140s, a 19MM front, and 21MM torsion. I've heard it said that the front boxes the rear and vise versa....
porschetub
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 19 2016, 12:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 18 2016, 07:16 PM) *

Wrong...........It has a engine. it just isn't installed. bootyshake.gif

good on you for the reply, mines in the car but not running so that reply was a little sarcastic...don't know ,appears that way.

Click to view attachment

many members on here are in between body repair and a rebuilt motor ready to go in that's what makes it interesting to me otherwise we would have a fairly boring forum..really.
The replies so far say keep what you have and you will be good.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.