Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at making floor mats - thoughts and my observations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
So I noticed that Lloyd started making floor mats, and the design is pretty stupid. They put grommets in (which is great), but they don't look like they are in the right place. Irregardless, you could not use them with the stock floor mats in place, as the pins in the car are only 1/4" long.
If you use the grommets, you can't use the floor carpet, at the mats do not cover the pedal board, looking goofy.

My thought was to offer just the carpet pieces to make them replaceable easily. I can do this with a foot pad or without out and in several choices of material. I'm looking at staging a GB, and was trying to figure out, if there was demand, and get an idea of preferences.

Please feel free to chime in with options you may like as nothing is set in stone.
Cairo94507
Great idea. I voted.
banananose914
Are there any 914 concerns you haven't addressed? Great job. Thanks for being a great source for the 914 community. My vote was cast.
toolguy
I prefer to NOT have black. . but in something close to factory gray. Black shows wear and dirt too much. . Black looks great when new but any wear and they look horrible. . . Make the backing stiff enough so they don't flop around and skid around when your feet move.
Hopefully the heal pad will be full width and molded as factory mats.
Mikey914
Yes heel pad would be full width. The German black (pre 75) is a nice option. I will be putting some pics up tomorrow, to show what I'm looking to do. I'm thinking that I can do a large enough group I can offer variations. So let know if I have missed anything here.
Larmo63
Mark, I LOVE my Coco mats, they are really well made and look great. If you are going to make mats, do it how they do it and make them go just up to the pedal area. Don't go up and around. IMHO.
Coondog
agree.gif
Mikey914
Looks like most - so far agree. I'm leaning towards the same myself.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 18 2016, 11:23 PM) *

Mark, I LOVE my Coco mats, they are really well made and look great. If you are going to make mats, do it how they do it and make them go just up to the pedal area. Don't go up and around. IMHO.

i love mine to but, IMHO, it would be fine to have an option to not go up pedal area at all, because if you have the new pedal boards that are metal, it would be nice to see that and have the mat stop at the bottom of the pedal board, at the end of the pad, it would be similar to the race mat trays like companies like rennline make.
rhodyguy
Parts Obsolete used to have stacks of new coco mats.
Mikey914
The rubber is actually about the same as the sheet, so not as much cost as I thought for the better material.
Mikey914
Here is one of the German options. It's more correct for the pre75. We will b using the grey edge binding on these.
Mikey914
Here is the domestic material in black, not a bad material, definitely less expensive.
Note the edge binding is the dark charcoal.
Mikey914
As far as heel pads go, I can get the hard plastic ones or sew these in for about $2 more. In my opinion a better look. It's not as durable as the hard plastic, but is an option.
Mikey914
As far as shape on the drivers side this is the one we patterned. A little bit of an optical illusion, the top is parallel to the bottom, just shot this in a hurry.
johnpierre
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 18 2016, 06:34 PM) *

So I noticed that Lloyd started making floor mats, and the design is pretty stupid. They put grommets in (which is great), but they don't look like they are in the right place. Irregardless, you could not use them with the stock floor mats in place, as the pins in the car are only 1/4" long.
If you use the grommets, you can't use the floor carpet, at the mats do not cover the pedal board, looking goofy.

My thought was to offer just the carpet pieces to make them replaceable easily. I can do this with a foot pad or without out and in several choices of material. I'm looking at staging a GB, and was trying to figure out, if there was demand, and get an idea of preferences.

Please feel free to chime in with options you may like as nothing is set in stone.

this is so timely. i just ordered Lloyd mats and guess what they came with holes in the driver side mat that one don't line up with the stays on my floor and two are the wrong diameter for the stays. called pelican and asked why this is the case and they said due to the Toyota issue a few years ago with the accelerator sticking that they [lloyd] was pro-active in addressing the issue. btw i would prefer no holes in the mats

ps like mikey said they won't work if unless you remove the carpet anyways...
Mikey914
Also going to offer early and late option for the passenger side. Late is short.
Mikey914
We can use a 3/16" plush for a little more than domestic. The Lloyd mats are this type of material. Cost would be $10 more than domestic.
Mikey914
Pending my satisfaction with these I will start a GB. Thinking of making a matrix so there is some variations available.
Mblizzard
Mark on the backing. If you think about how all mats wind up moving it is forward toward the front of the car. Backing that has vertical spikes or texture performs very poorly at resisting this forward movement. A slight angle of the spikes toward the front could mKe a huge difference in keeping the mats in place.
Mikey914
My thought process is they will grab the carpet underneath that has grommets holding it. So as long as there is carpet, it should work well, but not to be used without as it will not grip the smooth surface well. This is why I decided not to use the sheet rubber, and it's not much more in this configuration.
Mikey914
So if I put the GB together, options should be
Choice of carpet - most prefer the German, but offer the others
Heal pad pretty much a no brain er
Backing a rubber material - probably just going to use the spiked as cost diference is negligible if I do enough.

Anything else I may want to offer ?
Mikey914
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Apr 19 2016, 11:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 18 2016, 06:34 PM) *

this is so timely. i just ordered Lloyd mats and guess what they came with holes in the driver side mat that one don't line up with the stays on my floor and two are the wrong diameter for the stays. called pelican and asked why this is the case and they said due to the Toyota issue a few years ago with the accelerator sticking that they [lloyd] was pro-active in addressing the issue. btw i would prefer no holes in the mats

ps like mikey said they won't work if unless you remove the carpet anyways...

Got to thinking more on this. If they provide with the holes, do they provide a method to anchor them as they don't line up with the ones in the car?
Mikey914
Just opened up the GB, these are being made to order so you will have about a 10 day wait + shipping time.

All are rubber backed unless you do not want.
Both early and late styles.

All right here-

http://www.shop.914rubber.com/914-Floormat...ORDER-914FM.htm
struckn
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 18 2016, 07:23 PM) *

agree.gif

Yep to COCO Mats and in the vote post you mention a rubber backing to keep them from sliding. Mine don't slide and don't have any backing, they're heavy and thick.
I'm not sure what they cost as they came with the car when bought.
slotty008
A velcro pad underneath the mats will definitely keep them in place.( 2 for each mat)
Mikey914
the 1st of these will be ready this week more pics soon!
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 9 2016, 06:44 PM) *

the 1st of these will be ready this week more pics soon!

Could you please indicate the weight of the finished mats,thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.