Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car died. Engine won't run
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
Drove it about 30 miles half on the freeway at 60mph. Running completely normal and smooth. Car has been sitting about a week. Not driving it much now. The power cut out kind of like it ran out of gas. The gauge says 1/4 tank and I can see gas down inside it. Checked my fuses and moved my relays around on the relay board. Car has spark. Stock 2.0 with D-jet. It does have pertronix points. Battery is strong. It tries to fire, but sounds sick and won't run. Smells like gas when you crank it.

help confused24.gif
ndfrigi
hhhmmm sounds familiar. Well I'm currently in the process of fixing mine with same issue. Tim (timothy_nd28: the gauge cluster LED guy) Clay, Joeproper and several members have been helping me. That's what a member here can get being here in this site. A good parts, good friends and good support in fixing our car.

Well check the thread, read the first page then check last page of the update as of yesterday.
My moral lesson I learned, after several test, my new points was defective and even my new timing light is defective. Wow took a lot of time, swapping of parts just because of the defective points and timing light.

Mine has a pertronix ignitor and the update yesterday after using an old points from my core engine, i was able to get spark on all spark plug wires. At first we only get the spark from the center coil wire going to the end wire for distributor cap. Maybe check your ignitor and maybe replace it with points for now since points and condenser is not really expensive. update on my car: running but rough idle.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=276630&hl=
steuspeed
So the problem was that the fuel pump quit running. 12V direct on the fuel pump and it works fine. Checked all three relays and they were fine. One cool trick I found was one relay had a loose cap. I could just press the relay closed with my finger and operate the heater fan or the fuel pump (depending on socket).

Can anyone explain how the start circuit works. Looks like the fuel relay gets power from the power supply relay. I don't understand what makes the fuel pump just spin and stop on the key turn and not just keep spinning. Does the power supply relay run the control unit and the fuel pump? Can I drive the car with a jumper on the fuel relay socket from pin 30 to 87 in case this happens again?
steuspeed
Pelican says:
If pump relay shows 12 volts at terminal 86, but terminal 85 has no ground.

NOTE: The fuel pump relay is active for only about 1- 1 1/2 seconds after the ignition has been switched on. Check with voltmeter; relay is wired from ground through control unit. Do not connect terminal 85 to ground without first disconnecting wire 19 leading to the control unit, otherwise the control unit will be damaged. If no ground is available to wire 19 (switch ignition on and off), replace control unit.

Once the engine fires, how is the fuel pump controlled?
ndfrigi
I hope Tim will respond to your concerns. His the best! He helped me all the way! But not sure if knows djet too since mine is ljet!.
76-914
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Apr 21 2016, 05:39 PM) *

Pelican says:
If pump relay shows 12 volts at terminal 86, but terminal 85 has no ground.

NOTE: The fuel pump relay is active for only about 1- 1 1/2 seconds after the ignition has been switched on. Check with voltmeter; relay is wired from ground through control unit. Do not connect terminal 85 to ground without first disconnecting wire 19 leading to the control unit, otherwise the control unit will be damaged. If no ground is available to wire 19 (switch ignition on and off), replace control unit.

Once the engine fires, how is the fuel pump controlled?

By the FPR where gas pressure is stepped down and returns to the tank. Pump runs all the time.
r_towle
Timing light on plug wires will verify spark.
Then if you have spark you need the check fuel pressure.
Could be a bad maps also.
Rich
timothy_nd28
I'm not proficient with the D-jet system as I am with L-jets but I did help a member with a Djet which had a very similar problem that you are experiencing. It ended up being a very intermittent connection at the ECU plug, more specifically pin 19 happened to be partially pushed thru the shell of that connector. Pin 19, IIRC is the fuel enable feed for the fuel pump relay on the relay board.

I would recommend removing the ECU plug and inspecting all pins that they are fully pushed forward and that there is no corrosion or burnt pit marks.

Best of luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.