Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sand or Media Blasting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
I know there are lots of discussions about rust on this site, but I can't find what I am looking for using the Search tool. Bear with me.

I need to clean up rust, and then paint, a car hauler trailer. I have an air compressor. I see siphon and gravity feed types. What is preferred? Is there a type that will make it go faster/easier? Also, what blasting material should I use and where does one procure that? All at Harbor Freight?

I wire brushed, primed and painted plenty of rust on ships in the Navy, but using a blaster is new to me.

Thanks!
PanelBilly
Take it to a shop that specializes in it. It's a messy job and they make it easy.
Mark Henry
You need a BFC ...big fuching compressior, my 5 hp barely keeps up with a little sandy jet blaster.
If you do go this route I'd do as much as you can with a wire wheel on a grinder first.

I have to do the same job soon on my trailer.
brant
Also, you don't really want to use sand...

silica in the lungs is really really bad
the media made for blasting is actually silica free

google it and you will decide its well worth the trip to the tractor supply store for a 12$ bag of media
Amphicar770
Do not use sand, very bad for your health.

Probably want something like aluminum oxide which is more aggressive. Glass bead and such is more for thinner metals where you are worried about warping or penetrating the metal.

I agree with PanelBilly. For something big like a trailer, it is often best to outsource it. I have had entire cars done for a few hundred $$$. If you must DIY then try Northern Tool or TP Tools. Something like this.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...36724_200136724

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.