Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestion About Thread Titles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Many of the forum's contributors are literary wits, which I respect, but wit, humor, cleverness and purposeful vagueness should be put aside when choosing titles for new threads. If the title of a new thread does not contain words that are key to the thread's content, then it makes it practically impossible to be included in search results when using the search by title only option.

This is especially important when submitting threads about technical problems and their solutions. You might write an incredibly valuable article on how to fix a 914 problem that everyone is up against, but if it is not easily searchable no one will reap the benefits of your wisdom. Titling a thread like "Nasty Little Gremlin Solved" (just a made up example) that is really about fixing a headlight problem is pretty much useless when searching by title in the future. I like to search by title as it is quicker and usually more specific to what you are looking for.

Am I off base on this? I hope none of our more creative writers are offended but following this guideline would make the forum more of a treasure trove of knowledge than it already is.

Ansbacher
'74 2.0
timothy_nd28
Did you check the relays? biggrin.gif
Cuda911
I agree with you 100%, but it's tilting at windmills. The clueless will remain clueless, and still title threads like "Help" or similar useless things.
76-914
I am extremely "search challenged" and could not find a thread if it's title were "this is the thread". sad.gif
sfrenck
Google search your term and add site:914world.com at the end such as:

" this is the thread site:914world.com " turns up this thread.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Apr 20 2016, 11:23 AM) *

agree.gif easiest and best way to search 914 world. Sorry o.p. seems like a solution to a non problem. I see no harm in being clever in a title wording to draw interest to your thread. When I see the same title over and over I tend to skip that thread.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 20 2016, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Apr 20 2016, 11:23 AM) *

agree.gif easiest and best way to search 914 world. Sorry o.p. seems like a solution to a non problem. I see no harm in being clever in a title wording to draw interest to your thread. When I see the same title over and over I tend to skip that thread.

From google you just have to start your boolean search with 914world
Also try to break it down to as few key words as possible.
Elliot Cannon
Writing a clever title to a post is as useless as using a clever site name for yourself rather than your real name. poke.gif stirthepot.gif
76-914
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Apr 20 2016, 09:23 AM) *

I'll try that next time. Maybe I can avoid Andy's wrath using this. lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 20 2016, 09:55 AM) *
Maybe I can avoid Andy's wrath using this. lol-2.gif

Not a chance ...
ninja.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Apr 19 2016, 09:52 PM) *

I agree with you 100%, but it's tilting at windmills. The clueless will remain clueless, and still title threads like "Help" or similar useless things.

Is this the thread about windmills?
Dion
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 20 2016, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Apr 19 2016, 09:52 PM) *

Is this the thread about windmills?

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
boxsterfan
Can someone help me with my poor idling 2.0L? shades.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 20 2016, 11:54 AM) *

Writing a clever title to a post is as useless as using a clever site name for yourself rather than your real name. poke.gif stirthepot.gif

Maybe it just takes some wit and a sense of humor. confused24.gif poke.gif
biggrin.gif
Cuda911
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 20 2016, 08:54 AM) *

I agree. Most of the clever site names I can figure out. But, an "Elliot Cannon"? No idea. I'm guessing some type of tank from WWII?

poke.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Apr 20 2016, 01:59 PM) *

I agree. Most of the clever site names I can figure out. But, an "Elliot Cannon"? No idea. I'm guessing some type of tank from WWII?

poke.gif

No, it's old enough to be from WWI and its a cannon that shoots blanks. sunglasses.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 20 2016, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 20 2016, 11:54 AM) *

Maybe it just takes some wit and a sense of humor. confused24.gif poke.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey! I have a sense of humor. "There once was a man from Nantucket"______________________________ fill in the blanks. laugh.gif
Elliot Cannon
Yeah! See? Double post. Now ya got me really ummm?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 20 2016, 02:23 PM) *

poke.gif

No, it's old enough to be from WWI and its a cannon that shoots blanks. sunglasses.gif

And as far as site names go, this one is an out and out lie. lol-2.gif He sure is cute though. And check out the size of that wrist watch. av-943.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 20 2016, 03:29 PM) *

poke.gif

And as far as site names go, this one is an out and out lie. lol-2.gif He sure is cute though. And check out the size of that wrist watch. av-943.gif

Jesus...you would think I was a pilot or something with a watch that big. And I'm flattered that you keep that pic so readily available. You continue with these compliments and I'll bring you some beer to R66 as well! wub.gif

worn
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Apr 19 2016, 08:52 PM) *

I demand the right to be clueless. Personally I thought my thread about punitive maintenance would have gotten one bite at least. Beyond that, the search tool is hard to do on something without a full keyboard, but responds to persistence.
914_teener
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 20 2016, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 20 2016, 03:29 PM) *

poke.gif

Jesus...you would think I was a pilot or something with a watch that big. And I'm flattered that you keep that pic so readily available. You continue with these compliments and I'll bring you some beer to R66 as well! wub.gif

I think the OP makes a point.....things are getting too loose and all...

How many angels CAN dance on the head of a pin..?????

Did someone say Mike is buying..now I AM really gonna show up.
Mark Henry
You know.... you could just ask the question again..... rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.