Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 or Boxster?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WolfR32
I haven't driven a boxster how do they compare? I was thinking of a 1999 to be able to keep it in the BSX regs. But if I ignore that, then what is a good year, keeping price down say under 10k.

The 914 is street legal, but not really streetable... full cage makes in and out not so fun...

Thanks!
Larry L.
dflesburg
that's like saying I have a 68 mustang and am thinking of getting a 2003... they are the same but different.

the mid engine convertible Porsche is still the mid engine convertible Porsche.

at least the engine is in the right place and there are two trunks, no back seat and the top comes off (or goes down).

jmo
stevegm
I've got both. The Boxster is a Cadillac compared to the 914. Completely different experience. Both have their place. Daily driver with a commute? Probably the Boxster. Fun car a few days a week? 914 all the way.
EdwardBlume
914. I would drive a 2015 S, but that's about it.
matthepcat
I think 2009 is the first year with no IMS bearing issues.
Cuda911
QUOTE(stevegm @ Apr 20 2016, 05:31 AM) *

I've got both. The Boxster is a Cadillac compared to the 914. Completely different experience. Both have their place. Daily driver with a commute? Probably the Boxster. Fun car a few days a week? 914 all the way.

I have a Boxster and 914 also, and agree with your comments completely. Boxsters can be had dirt cheap.... troll Craig's List, and you can easily find a good one for well under $10k.
flyer86d
I also have both. Mine is a 99 that was the original owners daily driver and I am doing the same thing with it as long as there is not salt on the roads which is 6 months a year here. It has high miles and needed a clutch so the price was very right. It also came with all the records, two sets of wheels and tires and the hard top. I did the clutch, IMS, RMS, clutch slave, clutch fork (which is the reason the clutch slave failed) and alternator over the winter and started driving it this week.

I left the engine in the car and pulled the trans. It's not as easy as a 914 but it is not all that bad to do. My original IMS bearing looked perfect when I removed it. I should sell it on ebay. Changing the IMS bearing itself was actually very straightforward and went fairly quickly. I think the key is that the car was a daily driver, it had regular oil changes, and had the early double row bearing. All of the internet horror stories are doing a wonderful job keeping prices low.

I like the car. It has a good ride and handling and the heat and A/C work wonderfully. Handling wise, you can get away with shit that would have old style 911 and 914 spinning like tops.

I would buy one that has had the IMS done with documentation or a higher mileage one that has not and change it immediately after purchase as long as it is priced accordingly.

Charlie
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Apr 20 2016, 02:25 PM) *

Handling wise, you can get away with shit that would have old style 911 and 914 spinning like tops.

Huh? 914, spinning like tops?
Racer
I had a 2000 Boxster for a bit. Thought it would be like a 914. It was and it wasn't. Engine in the right place. Really good handling.. but not nearly as much "fun". The trade off was niceties like great HVAC, ABS, Airbags, Crumple zones etc.

One reason I looked for a 2000 (this was back in 2006) was the minor improvements over the 2.5 cars. 1) 2.7 motor with more HP (rated 217 vs 201). and slightly nicer interior appointments (and options). Since you are buying used, you might find one with Litronics, full leather, 18" wheels etc etc.

Also consider, if you aren't wedded to BSX, perhaps you can find an early Boxster S (250+hp, 996 front brakes, 6 speed, 3rd radiator etc)

For 2003, they changed out the plastic rear window for a glass unit. Although aftermarket tops for early cars are available with glass or plastic windows.

As mentions, IMS is the big issue. Those didn't go away till '09 for good, although many say post 06 appear more reliable than the earlier cars.

As with most used cars, buy the nicest you can afford for your intended use.
WolfR32
Thanks for the feed back!
Cuda911
Drove my '99 Boxste' at the Festival of Speed two weekends ago. Paid $4,600 for the car and set a track record.
Cuda911
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.