Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fake 914GT medallion on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Watch out for this and others that are fakes, they show up on the market from time to time. The real 001 medallion was damaged and is the second photo below which is also on the 914 LE Registry, I am sure you can see the differences between real and fake if you compare them.

These medallions were made and supplied to owners of the Euro 1974 914GT cars, and factory numbered. The 914GT was the Euro market version of the USA market 1974 914LE. Details on my 914 Can Am website.

VW PORSCHE 914 GT SL Limited Edition Badge 100000 VW-PORSCHE engraving NR. 001

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351710995202?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
gereed75
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 20 2016, 06:47 AM) *

Watch out for this and others that are fakes, they show up on the market from time to time. The real 001 medallion was damaged and is the second photo below which is also on the 914 LE Registry, I am sure you can see the differences between real and fake if you compare them.

Jeff, what was this badge issued for?......never mind, read the rest of the e-bay ad. Thanks
Mark Henry
dry.gif

I asked "Hi is this item an original or reproduction?"

Let's see how he replies. popcorn[1].gif
Mark Henry
His reply, at least he was honest in the reply. Should I ask him why it's not in the ad?
At that price I wouldn't be interested anyways.

It is a Reproduction. I would never sell this piece with original Nr. 001 for this price :-)

But is minted with original tools. The Badge is a later production - approx. 5 or 6
years ago and comes from the Fritz Reu Factory in Heubach/Württemberg. I have
purchased a couple of years ago from Mister Hofmann - a former employee of the factory.

I also have another one without the engraving.

Greetings from Giessen/Germany
Michael
bandjoey
Would make a great belt buckle biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
Seller says its a 'reproduction' but it clearly is no less than a forgery because he embossed NR.001 into it does not represent it as a reproduction. An unknowing purchaser could easily be mislead to thinking it was rare and authentic...and he would only pay $250 for it! "What a bargain"

There would be no issue if these were clearly embossed as a repro (on the backside?) and represented as a reproduction in advertisements.

Even I would probably buy one as a souvenir piece. He could even repro the similar key chain and that would be cool...as long as it was clearly marked as a repro.
EdwardBlume
Maybe it's time for a replica and a GB?
johnhora
Jeff...
Thank goodness your are around to educate us on this stuff...I never knew this existed....
Thanks...John
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 20 2016, 07:48 AM) *

His reply, at least he was honest in the reply. Should I ask him why it's not in the ad?
At that price I wouldn't be interested anyways.

It is a Reproduction. I would never sell this piece with original Nr. 001 for this price :-)

But is minted with original tools. The Badge is a later production - approx. 5 or 6
years ago and comes from the Fritz Reu Factory in Heubach/Württemberg. I have
purchased a couple of years ago from Mister Hofmann - a former employee of the factory.

I also have another one without the engraving.

Greetings from Giessen/Germany
Michael

You do good work sir. Not really sure how to take this but echo kudos to Jeff. Thanks to you both. Of course years hence, when living memory is gone, the reproductions might be indistinguishable. The problem with this sale is the number 001. A tip off.
r_towle
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 20 2016, 04:31 PM) *

Maybe it's time for a replica and a GB?

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.