Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What did you find in your 914 today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
Taking apart a 40+ year old 914 can be a very interesting and rewarding hobby.

In my limited time doing this I have found everything from mummified mouse corpses to a vise grip that was being used as a clamp for one of the fuel lines, to paper clips inserted in the fuse block instead of the fuses.

So what have you found?
mepstein
Some used 22 cartridges, woman's earings and lots of change.
Jonathan Livesay
Change is the best, I have recouped as much as 3% of the purchase price by simply removing the seats. :-)
Mike Bellis
I found a bunch of stuff today because my trunk is open and has become a catch all... dry.gif
GaroldShaffer
Over the years with all the parts cars I have had I have found mouse nest, squirrel bones, money, small hand tools, nice set of 40IDA carbs in a box in a front trunk, condoms icon8.gif , smoke.gif , $100 bill, pictures & old drivers license........
Larmo63
I found one solid gold 24K earring under my center console.

I was wondering how it got down there? drooley.gif
bretth
Found an old house key under the access cover in the center tunnel. Looks like it was placed there as a backup key.

Brett
napasteve
Cr*p, I only found a dime during my SS fuel line replacement adventure. Maybe I need to keep digging???

Edit: I did find some strange CB radio frequency/morse code table laminated tables. Tapping out morse code while driving your car??? Time capsule stuff...
Cuda911
I found this gem in mine!

Gunn1
Just found a 150 mph speedo wrapped in a towel under the spare tire complete with the Odometer cable

Nice!
Gunn1
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 21 2016, 04:51 AM) *

Just found a 150 mph speedo wrapped in a towel under the spare tire complete with the Odometer cable

Nice!

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 21 2016, 05:53 AM) *

Nice!

Click to view attachment

Add that to your cars total mileage. The odometer on speedo's usually go at 80K.
TM_Corey
When I bought mine I was going through the glove box and door handle box and I found a silk scarf. I told the owner that his wife might want to keep it for old times sake. He quickly put it in his pocket and said "except, I don't think it's my wifes!"

lol, he hadn't been in the car since he had been married. It sat for 25 years.
tygaboy
12mm socket rattling around inside the tunnel.
Oh, and I found some rust, too... lol-2.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2016, 05:56 AM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 21 2016, 05:53 AM) *

Nice!

Click to view attachment

Add that to your cars total mileage. The odometer on speedo's usually go at 80K.

Thinking this is the original speedo and mileage. The hole in the dash was vacant, just had the tach and other gauge cluster were filling the holes....

But how about that 150 mph! Sweet!
Optimusglen
As others have said, change. Lots and lots of change. Most of it so dirty I didn't actually want to touch it, i just flung it out on my garage floor and swept the pile into the corner, haha.

Other than that, some pens, mouse mummy, mouse houses, mouse diarrhea, etc.
76-914
I'm superstitious about that stuff. Don't remove it from the car. It's Juju. Magical! Car's run better if you don't remove this stuff! I have a small plastic bag in the glove box of each 914 containing the booty I recovered from each. beerchug.gif Mostly coins but a .32 casing and a Mont Blanc pen.
EdwardBlume
A foot long lizard, ross perot pin, golf pencils, and lots of spare change.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 21 2016, 10:09 AM) *

blink.gif , alive or dead?
6freak
Nords picture in the glove box! I think ill just leave it there
slotty008
Tooth picks (in a blister )
Betty
Shortly after I got the car in 1988 I found a ticket issued to the original owner by the Police in Tulsa, OK for driving left of the centerline.

I wonder if he was busted racing?
nathansnathan
When I was going through my project a few years ago, I found a length of police do not cross tape, a lot of broken glass, pot shake, cassette tapes - the collected speeches of Martin Luther King, Mohalia Jackson, and a water-damaged California temporary registration from 1994.
914four
I worked in the healthcare field in the mid 80's and had to be on-call. I used my 914 as a daily driver but could not hear the pager when the top was off so I put the pager on vibrate when I was driving. It apparently fell off my scrubs and ended up under the seat where I found it a year or so ago when I took the seats out for parts for another 914.

There was also a Jimmy Buffett 3/4 time cassette. I'm still a Parrothead and saw Jimmy Tuesday night in Birmingham. That's me in the floral print shirt at the concert tailgate with some of my Parrothead friends. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 21 2016, 08:25 AM) *

Dead
Cracker
Rebuilt and configured the fuel system...also added a swirl pot.

Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
This isn't that thread, man. You have to find something. biggrin.gif
Gunn1
another find.

Original owners manual in the cowl area by the brake reservoir , had many of the service interval squares stamped by the dealership, had VIN, trans, both key code numbers. Day it was delivered, first owner ect.

Not as cool as the dead lizard and the Perot Pin, But a close second.!
bretth
Oh yeah i forgot the pocket bible in the drivers door compartment. Left it there just in case smile.gif

Brett
Gunn1
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 21 2016, 04:27 PM) *

Who's Nord?
sb914
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 22 2016, 05:35 PM) *

Who's Nord?

A former member who passed on sad.gif
Porschef
The '71 I bought a couple years back had a bunch of cassettes including some Sinatra classics, a milk crate full of assorted aluminum and steel pieces in various thicknesses, hand tools, a few bucks in change, and a PanAm marker still in the original wrapper.

Madswede
Joe found this in the defrost duct, driver's side in my '73 while it was being taken apart completely. Still don't know exactly what year it was, but judging by the price of parking, probably mid to late 80s if not early 90s. (Maybe earlier - this is California prices we're talking about here) ...

Click to view attachment
Porschef
March 2nd, 1985? confused24.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(Madswede @ Apr 22 2016, 08:01 PM) *

Joe found this in the defrost duct, driver's side in my '73 while it was being taken apart completely. Still don't know exactly what year it was, but judging by the price of parking, probably mid to late 80s if not early 90s. (Maybe earlier - this is California prices we're talking about here) ...

Click to view attachment

COOL!
Gunn1
QUOTE(sb914 @ Apr 22 2016, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 22 2016, 05:35 PM) *

Who's Nord?

A former member who passed on sad.gif

Rest in Peace Nord
TM_Corey
62240 miles currently so I should be good right?? confused24.gif
Gunn1
Found a Blaupunkt

Click to view attachment

Not sure it works, Not sure if it is worth using
Gunn1
The best find yet

Click to view attachment

Much better shape than the pair from my 74.

Stainless really does make a difference.
Gunn1
Found another set (front and rear) of sway bars......tagged 914-6....
What does that mean? When it comes to sway bars and 914's aren't they one in the same?
Millerwelds
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 21 2016, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 21 2016, 08:25 AM) *

Dead

Ross Perot or the lizard?
MoveQik
I took it on a nice shake down run getting ready for Route 66 this weekend. biggrin.gif driving.gif
Gunn1
Found a red key and a black key, and you know what? Neither of them work on any of the four teeners sitting in the yard.

Oh well maybe one of them will work on the old padlocks I have no keys for....
SKL1
Rewired the signal light wiring on the tach on my '71 so my LED lights now work as God intended. Also discovered one of the little bulbs (for the R signal) is burned out. Hope Pelican has those!
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 28 2016, 05:42 PM) *

Found a red key and a black key, and you know what? Neither of them work on any of the four teeners sitting in the yard.

Oh well maybe one of them will work on the old padlocks I have no keys for....

Nope, the only way to ever find keys for old padlocks is to throw away the locks.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Apr 28 2016, 07:25 PM) *

Rewired the signal light wiring on the tach on my '71 so my LED lights now work as God intended. Also discovered one of the little bulbs (for the R signal) is burned out. Hope Pelican has those!

So, what was done for this to work w/leds?
Gunn1
set of axles under the front fuel tank in the 72'

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.