Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting Dwell/ Hit & Miss ???'73 2.0 FI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
I must'a spent, all totaled, 3-4 hours on this dwell shitthing dry.gif Started out at 25 then got it to 40 unsure.gif up'd it a wee bit & hit 50 huh.gif got it down to 47 & thought, "that's cool" smile.gif I'll see how the timing does...

Sheese mad.gif now I can't get it to adjust to the 27 BTDC it's supposed to be.... I can't win.

How do you adjust yer dwell?
and no fair answering "I got Pertronics" or "I got that other expensive electronic thingy" cool_shades.gif

I'm just doin this points thing cuz my Petronics shit da bed.

Prolly gonna go back!

........b
Joe Ricard
Get a reference point with a feeler gauge. Then you can go tight or loose on the blade. actually changes dwell quite a bit.

What zackly do you mean can't set timing to 27 BTDC? Timing is timing just give the dizzy a twist.
unless you are jamming up the mechanical advance.
What dizzy you using? vacuum lines disconnected and plugged? and the advance plate does it's deal correctly?

IDONNO confused24.gif
Bleyseng
Dwell is the gap between the points, Bruce. Timing is the point where it sparks in relation to the crankshaft. 27 degrees before top dead center at 3500 rpms is the correct timing.

Geoff
Gint
On my 4 bangers, I learned what the inital point gap setting was for each engine and distributor that corresponded to the correct dwell. After the first time figuring out what that gap was, I could usually hit it dead nuts afterwards even when installing new points.

But I too don't understand why you can't set you timing after setting your dwell.
Dave_Darling
On my car, when it still had points, the 0.016" gap just about hit the dwell angle perfectly. Of course, the points would then crud over and the car would run like crap 500 miles later, but hey... I figure a business card would be just about perfect.

--DD
redshift
lol

I think Dave is on(to) something here.. the business card should be a reputable local Porsche mechanic's.

M
Bruce Allert
Initially I had the points set at somewhere around 45 - 47. Had it timed at 27 BTDC. It ran crappy so I put in brand new points. Got them set the same. Then, while running the car at 3500, it refuses to bring the red 27 degree mark into view. Never had such a thing happen before. Just dumbfounds me. The book says to set dwell between 44 & 50. It idles fine but has trouble taking throttle. I'll piss wit it for awhile longer then, if it still won't work fer me I'll piss on it huh.gif

........b
redshift
Experience: Piss won't help dwell.

M
anthony
I had a wandering dwell until I took my distributor apart, cleaned and lubed it. After that things improved greatly. I did add a pertronix as well and that helped a little more.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 30 2005, 11:04 PM)
Experience: Piss won't help dwell.

M

but ya might get a charge if ya do it whilst it's runnin' laugh.gif

.......b
ArtechnikA
dwell is NOT ultra-critical. it will however affect the timing if it's not set right.

just for background, because i haven't seen the procedure spelled out yet, turn the engine to *around* TDC #1.

move the points rubbing block to the high spot on the distributor cam. you can do this either by turning the engine or loosening the dizzy clamp and spinning the dizzy. i used to struggle with getting the engine positioned just so, then i realised i was going to loosen it to adjust timing anyway, so it didn't matter...

then, by loosening the hold-down screw and moving the stationary point, achieve a 0.016" gap. a matchbook cover (not a business card) is close enough for the side of the road, but use a CLEAN feeler gauge and get it right. tighten the hold-down screw, recheck your 0.016" gap, and you're done.

THEN set your timing. too much dwell (points closed too long) just means that the points open late and you will never be able to get as much advance as you need.
Joe Ricard
I think Rich hit it on the noggin. You are doing it wrong lol2.gif
It just might be that you are not getting the best positioning of the points rubbig block and the 4 lobe cam on the dizzy.
mike_the_man
I've always done it just like Rich said, and never had a problem. I've only used a dwell meter once, but by setting the gap, the dwell was bang on. Of course, now that I have a pertronix, there is no need to set dwell. Much easier. biggrin.gif Just take your time Bruce, you'll get it.

Bruce Allert
(slapping head in "I could'a had a V8" fashion) rolleyes.gif

I feel like a dumbass unsure.gif Thanks Rich for pointing out the easy way. I don't have to push the car no mo' beer.gif

.......b
TravisNeff
Don't rule out having your dwell setting accurate. I forget the figure but for every few degrees of dwell it adust your timing by 2 or 3 or something? As far as it not getting or getting too much advance with incorrect settings, waay out of range your tach will do weird stuff, car will start to miss and whatnot.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 31 2005, 09:28 AM)
Don't rule out having your dwell setting accurate. I forget the figure but for every few degrees of dwell it adust your timing by 2 or 3 or something?

if the dwell changes after you set the timing, the timing will similarly change.
this is why the timing drifts as the rubbing block wears.

and it's why you set the point gap first.
scotty914
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ Mar 31 2005, 06:03 AM)
Of course, now that I have a pertronix, there is no need to set dwell.

actually you do have to check it when ever you put it in or remove and reinstall. years ago i just installed mine and it ran like crap using the piece of plastic they sent as a gauge. once i put a dwell meter on it, it was like 70 degress, so i had to move it out more. i found the card board box that the points come in where the perfect thickness.

btw if anybody needs a dwell meter i can give you my old one for shipping
Bruce Allert
I got home from work yesterday & ran out to the shop with dilusions that I'd get this thing set. After multiple time of setting the gap & testing with dwell meter the engine got real warm.

I started smelling what was similar to someone burning their garbage or trash barrel... didn't pay it no mind rolleyes.gif

Then an abnormal amount of smoke began flowing thru the engine bay ohmy.gif with the same smell (DOH!)

When I work under the car I place a long clean piece of cardboard under it cuz it makes sliding around easy.

Well, when the car was getting hot the cardboard began to curl near the exhause pipes!

It was the cardboard burning that I smelled and it was
H O T!

Dumbass # 2 incident confessed w00t.gif

........b
Rhodes71/914
Guess it was Exciting, Oregon yesterday huh? laugh.gif

But did you get the Dwell and timing set correctly?
Bruce Allert
Ya, it was kinda exciting. I told my wife if it'd have caught fire I'd just push it out into the yard & watch it burn! ohmy.gif She got this smile on her face & said, "insurance would buy it, huh?" rolleyes.gif

Ya, well.......... no such luck laugh.gif

.......b
Bruce Allert
A BIG THANKS TO RICH smilie_pokal.gif I followed yer plan and got it gaped, timed & running on a 1/2 hour of my lunch.

Runs G U D too beerchug.gif

....b
ArtechnikA
you are welcome.

i'm surprised i remembered any of that, except that i tinkered with 4-cylinder Kettering ignition cars for about 30 years, and only went pointless in the 911 a year ago ...

i'll have a celebratory beer for you tonight...

( still got some Guiness left over from St Patrick's day... beer3.gif ... )
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 31 2005, 03:16 PM)

i'll have a celebratory beer for you tonight...

( still got some Guiness left over from St Patrick's day... beer3.gif ... )

& I'll grab me a F A T T I A R

I gotta remember the famed slogan

KISS

keep it simple stupid

......b beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.