Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For v8 Folks...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cracker
...maybe not good ideas but ideas nonetheless. Time will tell soon.

Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tomrev
Almost a shame to race her Tony, she will never be this clean again! (but yeah, start racing!)
3d914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 20 2016, 07:03 PM) *

Tony

Click to view attachment

Tony, I'm intrigued by your setup. Looks sooo clean and well designed. If I understand it - is that single inlet in the center feeding the throttle-body? And is it drawing air from the low-pressure area at the back - where you've diverted to two inlet pipes?

Not meaning to criticize, just trying understand. I have a similar air supply issue for my V6 - with the throttle-body facing rear. Curious how well you think this setup will work.

TIA
Cracker
You think it is low pressure but it isn't - it works great. We tested back in December with the same pick-up location and it was very quick (VERY). Thanks!

Tony

Tom: Things get dirty...that's why there is soap. beerchug.gif

QUOTE(3d914 @ Apr 21 2016, 03:36 PM) *

Tony

Click to view attachment

Tony, I'm intrigued by your setup. Looks sooo clean and well designed. If I understand it - is that single inlet in the center feeding the throttle-body? And is it drawing air from the low-pressure area at the back - where you've diverted to two inlet pipes?

Not meaning to criticize, just trying understand. I have a similar air supply issue for my V6 - with the throttle-body facing rear. Curious how well you think this setup will work.

TIA

cali914
Very nice what does it look like with the trunk lid on.
Cracker
Although the lid might fit with the cooler (it would be very close) - I'm not interested in installing the stock lid on it - even if it fit. I'll most likely have some variation of the old Speedwerks 800 hp twin turbo car - screen and frame. There is allot of heat that needs to get out of this engine/trunk area. Thanks for asking - all the best.

T

QUOTE(cali914 @ Apr 22 2016, 01:04 AM) *

Very nice what does it look like with the trunk lid on.

Click to view attachment
1stworks
I can't imagine how fast this car is.
Thanks for sharing...
Cairo94507
There is absolutely amazing and then there is this build. Off the scale badness. smilie_pokal.gif
siverson
Ok, I'll bite... What exactly am I looking at?

-Steve

rhodyguy
I can't figure it out either.
Cracker
Steve - No problem...it is an oil cooler. I posted a picture of the heat shield in the first post that will protect the intake and fuel rails from the, well, heat. I just re-plumbed the oiling system today bringing both oil coolers on-line - this picture should help.

You know how some jackets/coats are "convertible"? Well, it may be a poor example but my car is a "convertible hot rod/race car" (I hope). I will have a dedicated targa top for the track with a roof scoop permanently attached (I will at least soon); and within 3 minutes or so it can be converted to a 914GT with a stock top. Race-car in one state and a car-show ready hot rod in the other.

beerchug.gif

Tony

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Nice. Couldn't see the oil lines in the first picture.
Justinp71

drooley.gif
siverson
Ah got it. Looks like a fun project.

-Steve
mgp4591
QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 21 2016, 01:56 PM) *

You think it is low pressure but it isn't - it works great. We tested back in December with the same pick-up location and it was very quick (VERY). Thanks!

Tony

Tom: Things get dirty...that's why there is soap. beerchug.gif

QUOTE(3d914 @ Apr 21 2016, 03:36 PM) *

Tony

Click to view attachment

TIA

So do you get a ram air effect from that setup, saying that it's not a low pressure area?
Cracker
Funny story about this...in December, at the track, a major race-shop/support team came up to me and asked, " how did you KNOW to put the intake there?". I replied, I didn't - it just worked for my installation and looked kinda cool/unique. He responded with through their research that area is actually a high pressure zone but is commonly believed to be a low pressure. I'm with you'all when it comes to the logic but the results are irrefutable.

Honestly, I don't know if it is or it isn't but I can tell you my car has no problem accelerating like a banshee. Maybe they were correct... confused24.gif

Not a scientific explanation on my part but hey, the car flies so it must not be "starving" for oxygen. Thanks.

Tony

[quote name='mgp4591' date='Apr 23 2016, 01:00 AM' post='2334742']
[/quote]
So do you get a ram air effect from that setup, saying that it's not a low pressure area?
[/quote]
1stworks
I don't think the LS has any problem pulling air.
I run air box in trunk......
Beautiful build.

IPB Image
ThePaintedMan
It depends on what exact part of the rear of the car you're talking about. The area just above the rear valence, particularly with a spoiler is a high(er) pressure area. The valence itself is a low pressure area. As the area delaminates from the body, it circles back around to "try" to fill that void and preserve laminar flow. However, this is actually turbulence which in your case, is beneficial to stuffing more air back into the intake. This is the same idea with how a cowl-induction hood works on muscle cars. Sticking a scoop up into the air and ramming air in is one way, but you're increasing drag. In this instance, you're utilizing existing flow over the body without adding additional drag.

This is also why diffusers work, if designed well. You're trying to get the air going over the top and bottom of the car to rejoin one another as quickly as possible with minimal turbulence in the wake of the car. In Tony's case a diffuser might even decrease the amount of "suck" going back towards the intakes, though probably negligibly, and the benefit of greater downforce and less drag would outweigh the effect for sure. If you were bump-drafting at Daytona though, the effect would CERTAINLY cost you HP, lol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.