Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank dripping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris914n6
Seeping out of both nuts. Besides the stainer, is there supposed to be a seal of sorts?

What are my options? I have places to be in a week driving.gif beerchug.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif driving.gif piratenanner.gif
Mikey914
Should be a seal between the tank and expansion tank. No seal on the top of the expansion tank. only metal flange.

http://shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-subm...words=expansion
Chris914n6
I'm talking about the outlets on the bottom of the tank.

Expansion tanks add weight laugh.gif But thanks for the quick response beer.gif
Mikey914
Yes, there is a thread here somewhere about copper washers if I recall correctly.
Rotary'14
There are fiber washers that act as seals. You should not use copper as you will get an electrolytic reaction between the two metals.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Apr 20 2016, 10:12 PM) *

There are fiber washers that act as seals. You should not use copper as you will get an electrolytic reaction between the two metals.

Yep, makes perfect sense. Anyway, there was a thread here. Pretty sure Crusty sent me a bunch at one time, but I don't know where they went. Sorry. Probably why I remembered this subject.
Rotary'14
PM me your address and I can get you some.
74ravenna
Hi,

I'll be disconnecting my tank again this weekend to replace my feed line washer.

What are peoples thoughts on pipe sealant when putting it back together?

I have a can of pipe dope rated for gasses, chemicals, gasoline, even jet fuel. Its rated at 10,000 psi (way more than I need I know).

Thanks in advance.
bdstone914
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Apr 21 2016, 05:36 AM) *

Hi,

I'll be disconnecting my tank again this weekend to replace my feed line washer.

What are peoples thoughts on pipe sealant when putting it back together?

I have a can of pipe dope rated for gasses, chemicals, gasoline, even jet fuel. Its rated at 10,000 psi (way more than I need I know).

Thanks in advance.

Do not use any sealant on the gas tank fittings. It is a flat sealing surface. They seal with a fiber washer. Remove the tank and hone flat the threaded nipples on the tank. The sealing surface is only 1mm wide. Get a new filter sock. Note the orientation of the nipples before removing them. It is trick to route the rubber hoses from the nipples without kinking the rubber hose.
I once installed a tank and could not get it to not drip. Had to remove the tank and hone flat the surface to stop the leak.
Bruce
76-914
agree.gif Pipe dope will help to seal tapered ips threads. Otherwise it is just a lubricant.
rhodyguy
You should consider replacing the in tank screen ( or at least have one on hand) when you have the tank out. Robert should have one. Plan on flushing the tank too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.