Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to me 914 that's been sitting for 8 yrs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RacingDreamz
This is my second post here on 914World. My first was a post about "Auto Tranny" for the 914. Well, we finally got our 914 but after researching the auto tranny conversion(it can be done), it's expensive. So for the time being, we want to get this car back on the road and use as our 'flagship' car.
Now, this car has been sitting since 07. Previous owner wanted to do a V8 or Subie conversion. He broke an exhaust stud and then let the car sit in his garage since. 8 years ago. Now that we have it, we have the task of getting it going. We finally got the exhaust manifold back on. Siphoned out most of the old gas(yea, it was really rotten and smelled up the neighborhood). I put some carb cleaner(whole can) in the fresh gas(about two gallons of fuel). I charged the old battery but it was just too weak to crank engine. So I jumped it off from another vehicle. The engine turned, not fast, but turned. It would not start but it must have flooded the cylinders as that old gas smell was very strong. Then for two days, I let it sit and put a slow trickle charge on battery. Today, I got the motor to turn over a few times again and it drained the battery. I could smell the old gas again, but not as strong. I bought some new NGK plugs to put in it and plan to tomorrow. I also put some Marvel's Mystery Oil in the crank case, but the oil that was in the engine did look good. No separation or discoloration. So when I change plugs, I plan on putting a few tops of the Marvel's in each cylinder top to help lubricate it. Aside from a new battery, what else should I be doing to get this engine running again. I was told by previous owner that the car ran fine when he started the conversion and left it. So any suggestions, advice, tips or whatever will greatly be appreciated.
Optimusglen
The old "ran when parked" line, haha.

Is the car still fuel injected or was it converted to carbs?

It's advised to essentially replace the entire fuel system. If the tank is good, keep that but ensure the copper sock is still good. Replace everything else if possible, especially the fuel lines if they're not stainless already.

Buy a new battery, don't try to breathe life into an old one that's been long dead.

Plugs as you've said. Replace the belt. Wouldn't hurt to adjust the valves. Any and all filters.

This for me would be the bare minimum before even trying to crank it over. But personally, I'd want to dig deeper into the engine before trying to fire it up.

Once you get it running, next you'll want to go through the brake system. No use going if you can't stop.

dflesburg
In addition...

I suggest you go thru the vacuum lines and replace them all. This is a key reason these cars don't run right.
larryM
BASICS

air - probably (see note above about vacuum lines, etc)

- fuel (yes, maybe)

as above - injectors or carbs ????????????

if injection - likely gummed up from yrs of varnished old fuel - pull 'em, clean 'em

SPARK (you don't say)

- Spark at right time? - get a timing light on it & check

if injection - tens of other probables - get a Haynes manual and start there

Chris914n6
Everyting rubber is toast, vacuum hoses, fuel hoses, seals. Didn't say you replaced the fuel pump but you will need to. Didn't say you replaced the oil, but after 7 years you need to. Pull the spark plugs and build up oil pressure first. Blow out the fuel lines, run some cleaner thru them. Fresh battery or a jump box. Pull the carbs and dump them, 7 year old gas has nothing left that's flammable.
Good news is new gas will clean up old gas, so after a while it will start to run normally.
r_towle
You keep smelling gas because it may be leaking out from one of the fuel lines.
Please take the time, replace th fuel lines.
emoze
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 22 2016, 04:50 AM) *

You keep smelling gas because it may be leaking out from one of the fuel lines.
Please take the time, replace th fuel lines.

X2 X2 X2 !!!!!!!!!!!! smash.gif
RacingDreamz
LOL.. I think I'll be changing the fuel lines. smile.gif

Thanks everyone. We appreciate the advice. smile.gif
brp986s
The obligatory thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
RacingDreamz
Now, for the ultimate question on the fuel lines and vacuum hoses..

Does anyone know how many feet of fuel hose and vacuum line I will need to replace the whole system?
Gunn1
Its easy to do, I just did it. The previous owner wasn't sure how many years it had been, but the last time it had been licensed was 2003. when I got the car home today I first pulled the Plugs and shot some deep creep in them. I then rigged up a already working fuel pump from one of my other 914's. The oil looked clean but I dropped it anyway and replaced, cleaned and replaced the strainer. Then I grabbed a old but clean outboard motor remote tank (the one with the two lines, supply and return) put a couple of gallons of fuel and injector cleaner with some sea foam in the remote tank. then basically replaced the stock fuel system with the remote one. also used a tee fitting and a gauge on the supply side between the pump and the delivery rails. I pumped up the primer bulb, burped the fuel lines a little. with a good battery I cycled the fuel pump a few times using the key but not turning it fully to start. after watching the gauge and that it did not lose pressure (Held at 40 PSI) I had my wife turn the key and I stood in the back and with a few revolutions of the crank the engine was running! not much smoke and I didn't let it do anything more than a normal to fast idle. ran five minutes, let cool, then started again, ran five minutes. Now will drain the oil, change filter, clean strainer. The car Body is to far gone to repair (bought it for parts) Click to view attachment
RacingDreamz
Is there any post anywhere that can walk me thru the steps of removing the fuel injectors?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.