Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would cause a speedo to read high?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matthepcat
Like the title of this thread states, what would cause my speedometer to read a higher speed than I am traveling?

Is this a mechanical issue with the factory gauge?

idea.gif
Jeffs9146
Smaller diameter than stock tires.
tomrev
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 21 2016, 07:08 AM) *

REALLY smaller diameter!
era vulgaris
Wow, that is off by quite a bit. Mine reads about 8-10mph faster than I'm actually going. I'm running 205/55/15's.

matthepcat
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 21 2016, 08:08 AM) *

Duh! For some reason my mind was thinking that the speed was collected at the transmission and is somehow decoupled from the wheel/tire diameter.

whack_3.gif

hitfan[1].gif

Dumb question of the week complete.

Yes my new to me car is slammed and running low profile tires. Works well for the rotary motor.

IPB Image

^^ First project is to remove the BUBs ^^
AZ914
That is quite a bit of difference. You can go to Discounttire . com and use their tire size calculator to see what the speed variance would be between stock tires and your tire size.
toolguy
That is a 50% error, You'd have to have something like go cart tires to read that far off.
Probably the speedometer magnetic assembly has oil / grease in it. .
May be able to take apart and clean but I'd bet someone has a real good deal on a used one. .
porschetub
Only real solution is to have the speedo regeared then you are stuck that profile tyre.
The rims look like 16'' ? I'am guessing the profile is 45 series or thereabouts, from memory my 205/55/16's calculate out at somewhere close to 1% error.
914Sixer
Weight probably came off in the speedometer.
matthepcat
They are 15" rims. I believe 195/50/15...maybe 195/55/15. Because the previous owner lowered the car as low as it would go, he had to run a small tire.
struckn
Mine reads about 10MPH faster then actual speed. I decided to not mess with the Speed O Meter and just added a GPS that gives digitally actual speed. There's also an APP you can get for your smart Phone that will work as a GPS Speed-O-Meter..

The need thing about the incorrect SpeedoMeter reading is if you take some one for a ride tell them to watch the speedometer when you're fast into a tight turn or rolling down the Interstate.
914itis
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 21 2016, 12:55 PM) *

Wow, that is off by quite a bit. Mine reads about 8-10mph faster than I'm actually going. I'm running 205/55/15's.

Same tire size , reads 10 mph higher .
PancakePorsche
Have Palo Alto or North Hollywood speedometer calibrate it for your car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.