Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Experts needed!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Rein shifter, Tangerine Racing shift linkage, 1/2" free play at clutch pedal. Car shifts fine from 2nd to 5th at speed. When stopped for a light, the gears grind if I try to shift into 2nd or 1st. I usually shift into 2nd and then drop it into first. Sometimes it will go into 2nd and then 1st with no issues and other times is sounds like I am ripping the teeth off the gears and it refuses to go into 1st or 2nd. It will go into 3rd, 4th, or 5th with no problem. Where should I start? headbang.gif
yeahmag
First guess would be the 1st and 2nd gear syncros. 1st gear has unique slider, but everything else is the same. 2nd gear syncro takes the most wear as you use it the most...
injunmort
my first inclination is to tighten the clutch cable, i don't think you want that much free play.
r_towle
QUOTE(injunmort @ Apr 21 2016, 04:57 PM) *

my first inclination is to tighten the clutch cable, i don't think you want that much free play.

agree.gif

How does she respond when you drive around, the at a stop try shifting into reverse?

Rich
Geezer914
Driving around it shifts fine. It is when I have to come to a stop that I am having problems shifting into 2nd or 1st.
r_towle
Reverse, after a stop.
A specific question.
yeahmag
That's a good question. That should tell us whether the clutch is adjusted enough. If it grinds after a stop and is then shifted in to reverse - the the clutch is still dragging.
Geezer914
Yes it grinds in reverse, so tighten up on the clutch cable?
yeahmag
That's a start.

I'd guess if you have only a 1/2" of play at the top of the pedal (make sure you are pulling the pedal "out" and measuring the slack from there) you have a busted clutch cable tube...
r_towle
When in doubt, press no hold clutch to floor.
Get under car and look at clutch release fork.
It should be just about touching the transmission case at th rear of the throw.
Anything more than 1/8 of an inch can be adjusted out, or as stated above may require clutch tube repair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.