Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Windshield Chrome Replacement Rubber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
Question on installation. I plan to install the windshield this weekend and was wondering if I need to glue this 914 Windshield Chrome Replacement Rubber to the perimeter of the windshield prior to mounting the windshield to the car. Anyone with experience in this?

thanks

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Windshield-C...bber-914WSR.htm
Jonathan Livesay
I had some windshield install adhesive left from trying to repair the rear hatch of my 968 so I used it to hold the seal in place while I lowered the windshield into position. I tried it first without it and that was kind of a PITA. One thing I would say for sure: get some black paint for glass and mask off and paint a 1" border around the windshield. I didn't bother to do that and it looks shitty, the rubber does not cover as much of the windshield as the trim piece and you can kind of see everything that is going on in there, some of the adhesive ribbon, whatever color the inside of the windshield frame is painted and the back edge of the interior trim. It's not a very good look. :-(
Mikey914
I have it on my Palma Metallic green car. Here's a picture with it was a little more close up.

To do this correctly you need to center the windshield in the hole (no gaps on sides), and to be neat with your choice of adhesive as it will be visible. I used the urethane on mine, and I'm happy with the result. It did take 2 of us to install.
The frint on the windshield will hide your sins, but if you are neat there's not much to see.
The windshield chrome covers about 1/4" more surface of the glass so it hides the adhesive.
orbit398
thanks for the info. I painted a 1 inch black strip all the way around the window and will glue the rubber gasket deal to the window prior to installing the window
76-914
QUOTE(orbit398 @ Apr 23 2016, 06:22 PM) *

thanks for the info. I painted a 1 inch black strip all the way around the window and will glue the rubber gasket deal to the window prior to installing the window

If you used regular paint it will come off.
green ernie
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 22 2016, 06:38 AM) *

I have it on my Palma Metallic green car. Here's a picture with it was a little more close up.

To do this correctly you need to center the windshield in the hole (no gaps on sides), and to be neat with your choice of adhesive as it will be visible. I used the urethane on mine, and I'm happy with the result. It did take 2 of us to install.
The frint on the windshield will hide your sins, but if you are neat there's not much to see.
The windshield chrome covers about 1/4" more surface of the glass so it hides the adhesive.

Where do you have the join? At the bottom?
Mikey914
Mine is joined at the bottom. If you look closely you can just make it out.
Costa05
QUOTE(orbit398 @ Apr 23 2016, 08:22 PM) *

Resurrecting an old thread here as I am doing this very thing in a few days. Planning to use the 914rubber 8mm butyl rope, and rubber outer replacement trim. My own cut 1/4" thick rubber centering blocks as that appears correct comparing frame opening to windshield measurements. Planning to paint the outer 1" edge of the windshield black prior to install. Question is what kind of paint for glass and paint both sides of the glass? Any other advice is appreciated. Great thread. TIA to all.

Rich
Mikey914
The rubber replacement is designed to be used like a modern windshield and requires urethane rubber to install. It will not working correctly with the OEM style chord.
mlindner
Mikey, do you have now detailed instructions as to how to install your rubber replacement windshield trim. I'll need to buy another trim and try for the third time. Mark
autopro
QUOTE(mlindner @ Nov 19 2021, 05:18 AM) *

Mikey, do you have now detailed instructions as to how to install your rubber replacement windshield trim. I'll need to buy another trim and try for the third time. Mark

Agreed, this would be very helpful. I already bought this from you and will be installing my windshield soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.