Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A simple way to check your charging
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
My oem voltmeter just pegs when I turn the key on.

Click to view attachment

I had check the battery with a multi meter, but its nice to be able to monitor the charging. I found a thread on the bird site that
recommended this simple gauge that plugs into the lighter. $12 from Amazon. Not the final fix, but better than nothing

Click to view attachment
zambezi
yup I've been using one in my 928 for a year now because my guage stopped working too.
r_towle
Are you sure that gauge is not wired up backwards?

Rich
barefoot
I've had a DVM that plugs into the lighter in my boat for some while now, works fine and cost about $3 from some Chinese source.
billh1963
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 21 2016, 11:48 PM) *

I had check the battery with a multi meter, but its nice to be able to monitor the charging. I found a thread on the bird site that
recommended this simple gauge that plugs into the lighter. $12 from Amazon. Not the final fix, but better than nothing

I have three of those I use in my 911's...very quick way to verify charging smile.gif

Innova 3721- Amazon
Papermaker
The simplest way that I know of to check your charging system is to load up the electrical system by turning on electrical loads such as headlights. turn signals, while beeping the horn with the engine at idle. As you increase the engine rpms the pitch of the horn will increase as well as the turn signal blink rate and headlight brightness.
--Papermaker
Coondog
Just bought one off Amazon, $ 12 bucks, free shipping and I get it tomorrow. Worth the chance. Thanks for the hot tip.
BillC
Just ordered one as well. Thanks for the tip! first.gif
rjames
Just bought one, too.
Will probably just mean more work for me in the long run because it'll just point out something else that needs fixing. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.