Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing engine compartment sound absorber?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillC
What's the best way to remove the engine compartment sound absorber in a '73 914? I'm talking about the sound insulation sheet/panel attached to the firewall in the engine compartment. Mine is in very nice shape, and I'd like to re-install it when I get done cleaning up the engine bay.

There are 3 or 4 large plastic "washers" that are holding the center area of the insulation. Any trick to getting them off? I can't figure out how to do it without breaking them. I tried turning, pulling and turning-and-pulling, but they won't come off.

Also, is 914-559-377-10 the correct part number for those plastic fasteners? Porsche calls them "plastic plug", but the pictures online don't match what I see in the car. The pictures look like a large plastic "Christmas tree" that gets pushed into a hole. But, the parts on the car look like they fit over studs welded to the firewall (i.e., the plastic fasteners on the car look like they are female, but the pictures show male). One of mine is broken, and the others should probably be replaced anyway once removed.
EdwardBlume
The pad is glued on so take it slowly to preserve the pad. i never tried to save the clips.
jack20
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 22 2016, 06:24 AM) *

The pad is glued on so take it slowly to preserve the pad. i never tried to save the clips.

Depending on how brittle they are the plugs will either break off or pull out. I used needle nose pliers. Carefully work the pad away from the wall. Be prepared for the weight. It's like moving a small mattress.

The plugs, as you described are available from Pursche. $.40 ea. They simply push into the existing holes after you push the remains of the old plugs into the wall with a punch.
They're graduated and look like a little Christmas tree.

Hope this helps.

Jack

malcolm2
Or just clean and paint the firewall and leave it off. Lots of folks do that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.