Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best to repaint in original colors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
Hi, my 'new' car is going to get a total re-paint, it's a 74 in the optional silver. Will it be more valuable if I keep the factory color?

Thanks,
RickClick to view attachment
mepstein
Probably. And it's probably easier to make it look right. But it's your car....
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 22 2016, 06:26 PM) *

But it's your car....

Unless you paint it red. And then it will eventually be Mark's car biggrin.gif
Porschef
Silver is a great color for a 914. Or any other Porsche for that matter. Keep it, plus your Künzhartlack number will be correct...
beerchug.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Porschef @ Apr 22 2016, 03:39 PM) *

Silver is a great color for a 914. Or any other Porsche for that matter. Keep it, plus your Künzhartlack number will be correct...
beerchug.gif

same here! i like silver and since it is the original color. But that's me!
iwanta914-6
You have to ask the question, "do I plan on selling it someday?".

If so, go factory color. If you plan on keeping it and enjoying it till you are no longer able, then do whatever makes you happy.
BENBRO02
If the car is not original color I consider it less desirable. Even ugly colors are cool because they become a snapshot of Porsche history.
somd914
The questions are:

1) What are your goals, hopeful investment or enjoyment?

2) How much does the current color attract you, or do other colors really attract you?

3) Are you planning to deviate from stock in other areas?

Ultimately it is your car, do with it what makes you happy - you can't please everyone, and it's your time and money... My two cents worth...
Gearhead1432
I have to agree, go with a color that makes you happy.

Having said that, the only reason why I chose a newer VW color over the original Gemini Metallic Blue on mine was I couldn't find a local shop to mix that color.

-Rob

QUOTE(somd914 @ Apr 22 2016, 05:52 PM) *

The questions are:

1) What are your goals, hopeful investment or enjoyment?

2) How much does the current color attract you, or do other colors really attract you?

3) Are you planning to deviate from stock in other areas?

Ultimately it is your car, do with it what makes you happy - you can't please everyone, and it's your time and money... My two cents worth...

steuspeed
Keep it silver.
Cairo94507
Silver is a terrific 914 color. But as others have said, it all depends upon your plan for the car. Keeping it forever? Paint it what ever color makes you walk into the garage and just smile. Going to put it together and sell it, paint it the original color.

Regardless, do a correct paint job and whatever color you choose will enhance the value of the car.
PanelBilly
Is everything else original? Engine, ect? Has there been accidents and what was replaced? In my eyes, if its not the entire package, it doesn't matter.

But that's me
Coondog
Paint it whatever color you like. Decent 914s are rare so I really don't think someone will be turned off by a non original color. Mine was silver and PO painted it white. So glad he did only wish it was yellow or red.
silver914.jpg white914.jpg
orthobiz
Original.

Paul
Rand
I appreciate the respect to question this, and how with some cars it can impact the value. But I don't think I would even want to own a car that it mattered so much, because I might be afraid to drive it if that was a really such an important factor.

I buy and build cars that I want to enjoy for myself. I'm not in a place to consider cars as investments. You have to be in a pretty elite class for that to seriously matter and pay off. With most 914s, the condition of the body is so important that a paint job isn't the first concern.

What color would you choose for your driver if nothing else mattered? If your answer was silver, this would be a pointless thread. Since it's not..... Make it what you WANT.
Garland
Yes, you will want silver.

Click to view attachment
brooks944
Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't plan to sell this car anytime soon but you never know. The rest is stock so I will stick with the factory silver. The two silver cars in the replies looked great!

Rick
Gunn1
I also think the color change or not to change issue has a lot to do with the quality of workmanship. If a color change is in the cards, then everything needs to be removed and or masked off.

Just like anything, if the work is shoddy it will effect value.....
johannes
Unless you hate silver (or wife hates it) go for original color.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 23 2016, 07:44 AM) *

I also think the color change or not to change issue has a lot to do with the quality of workmanship. If a color change is in the cards, then everything needs to be removed and or masked off.

One exception is the colour change on my 914.

My teen was white the PO changed it to orange. They did take of the doors and did the jams and doors, but on the trunks and engine bay everything was masked off. The lids were painted wrapped around to the to the bend seams.
The white trunk interiors actually look real cool, in fact my non-914 friends I've shown it to just thought the factory did this.

It would be quite easy to return it to the factory white colour. But this could only be done on a white or black 914.
Amphicar770
Original colors will generally always be worth more. That said, are you doing the car for yourself to enjoy, to resell and make money, or for the next owner?

Silver looks great but its your car so do with it as you please.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 23 2016, 07:30 AM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 23 2016, 07:44 AM) *

One exception is the colour change on my 914.

My teen was white the PO changed it to orange. They did take of the doors and did the jams and doors, but on the trunks and engine bay everything was masked off. The lids were painted wrapped around to the to the bend seams.
The white trunk interiors actually look real cool, in fact my non-914 friends I've shown it to just thought the factory did this.

It would be quite easy to return it to the factory white colour. But this could only be done on a white or black 914.

So then it would be acceptable to take a white 914 and paint the outside a white mother of pearl?
Larmo63
As far as mother of pearl, any 914 aficionado would know right away that it isn't a true 914 color.

To me, if you changed your color, you would have to do a TOTAL repaint and do it in a 914 Porsche color.

Adriatic blue is a great color, and you should take a long look at some cars in in that color. Slate gray is a great Porsche color too, but I don't think that 914s came in that color. I think you could probably order a custom color and wait for it from the factory at the time, but I'm sure that not too many people ordered the cars that way.
Tom_T
Generally speaking with any classic cars Rick, it is better to keep the original color on them, & better for value - unless it's a resto-mod, which changes the value more anyway.

You can always dress it up with the 74 MY Porsche negative side script (like on the silver one above), &/or with some tasteful hand-painted old school pin striping in accent colors of your liking along the fenders & doors F-to-R - either of which can be removed later.

If changing colors from factory issue with any classic car, then it's better to change to another period correct color from the MY of that make & model.

I wrestle with it myself - my being a blue car guy, & my 73 2L being an OE light ivory.

As others have said - ultimately it's your car & your money, but be aware of what the consequences of your decision are.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
earossi
Choice of paint depends on what you plan to do with your 914. If you intend to restore the car retaining all the originality of the car, then it is probably more practical to choose an original Porsche color, with preference given to the car's original color.

However, if you intend to modify the car, as I did into a 916 style car with early bumpers, then you might want to consider a non=stock color. Personally, I spent weeks looking at pictures of cars in original colors and though I "liked" several stock colors, I could never get excited about them. Then one day, I had my BMW at the dealership for service, and while waundering the showroom floor came upon an M3 convertible finished in a brilliant blue metallic with a red interior that blew my socks off.

Today, I am probably the only owner of a 914 with a blue exterior over a red interior. I can not tell you how many compliments I get about the cars finish. It's been a year since I painted it, and I'm still in love with the choice.

But, if you do choose to change the color from original, whether it be to another 914 standard color or to a wild departure such as mine, be sure to paint the trunks and engine compartment. Its horrible, in my opinion, to show off the paint on your car when the trunks are different and clash with your exterior.
brooks944
Thanks guys. I do like the scarlet red on my '75 (which I'll have to sell to complete the '74 restoration...) but think I will stick with the factory color. That should be easier on the paint and body guy. Even though all the windows and trim etc. are removed I don't think a color change will ever be factory looking like keeping the OE color.
Rick
Mark Henry
Surprised no one suggested this, but you could paint it the factory colour and if you want a change you could DIP your car, or wrap it in vinyl.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.