Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: newbie on forum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frankieshooz
Hiya 914 forum members just wanted to introduce myself as a new member. Recently just purchased a 73 2.0L 914 Alaska Blue pretty much stock beauty! I'm in Nor Cal bay area just over the bridge and looking for any advice on well anything!!! I'm leaning toward keeping car stock as it is all numbers matching and in very good shape. I'm sure some of you know this car. I'm super excited about becoming the new custodian of this car. I have always admired, coveted, and appreciated this under appreciated model.
I do believe the A/C was dealer installed and I am contemplating removing the whole system as it's just fugly!!!! it does open up a can of worms: replacing the hole it would leave in the trunk, block off plates etc.. Anyway this will not be any trailer queen as it will be sharing driving duties with my beloved Mazda 94 FD3S R2....
comments, advice, help appreciated...if any of you experts are in or near marin county let me know so we can get together for some 914 education...
frankieshooz
Click to view attachment

sorry hers is pic of my new baby!
Gearhead1432
welcome.png

Alaska blue metallic is one of my favorite colors on 914s.

-Rob
iwanta914-6
Wasn't this one advertised for sale here? She's a beauty and that kind of beauty doesn't come cheap. nice buy
rick 918-S
welcome.png
Coondog
Congrats, beautiful 914. Enjoy........ biggrin.gif

Advice:
Get all fuel lines checked
Get a fire extinguisher
Have fun fun fun
Big Len
Nice ride....best of luck !!
Gunn1
Beautiful 914.

Really like the color

Ian Stott
Nice looking car, lots of experts in California, find one and get her checked over. Welcome to 914World, great bunch of people here. Take a drive to Atlantic Canada, stop in Moncton, first beer is on me!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
JOEPROPER
Nice. Yes, i've seen that advertised here too. Looks great. Good Luck!
Cairo94507
welcome.png That is a beautiful 914. Before you embarked on any projects I would get it to a shop that knows these cars well and go over it front to rear looking for any issues that might not be apparent. Even on cars as nice as yours there might be something that was missed by a previous owner.

I would then focus on the fuel system to make sure it is up to date and 100% reliable. Stainless steel fuel lines in the tunnel and new rubber anywhere else with new clamps and filters. That includes taking a look into the fuel tank to see if it looks clean or not. Don't forget the fuel tank sock filter.

After that for me it would be electrical. I would look for anything not original. I am not a radio or alarm guy so for me if it did not come factory, it would be removed. I would want to make sure the factory harness and fuse block were all up to snuff and the correct fuses were installed. It is not unheard of for people to swap in higher rated fuses when they start blowing a particular fuse. I would clean all of the ground connections and tighten them. Check to make sure every single item on your car is fully functional. Once you are sure all the wiring is 100% good, then I would add whatever you desired so you know it is added correctly - stereo, etc.

Of course brakes are a big deal on our cars. At the minimum, unless the seller had just done it, I would flush the entire system and check all the rotors and pads. Make sure the emergency/parking brake is correctly adjusted and functional. Eric Shea at PMB performance in Utah http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog.html is the go-to guy for all things brakes.

Actually, Eric is now doing complete restorations so he is a valuable source for anything on these cars. We are blessed to have many people here who are dedicated to maintaining and restoring our cars. Chris at Tangerine Racing who sells the SS fuel lines http://www.tangerineracing.com/about_us.htm is a terrific guy too. So many experts supporting our community and they are all available to you.

Mechanical issues are next. Make sure the suspension, engine and transaxle are in good repair. Oil leaks? I personally can't tolerate them. I realize on an older Porsche that is more of a challenge than say newer Porsche cars, but it is possible to have a 914 that does not leak. Do a leak down and compression test to make sure the motor is healthy. If the numbers are good, unless it had recently been done, I would do a valve adjustment and complete tune-up to set a base line for driving.

Lastly, comes all the cosmetics. That is more involved too. Weather seals (Mikey914 at 914rubber.com http://914rubber.com has almost anything you need in this department), any visible body rust, bumpers that are not aligned correctly, exhaust systems that are rusty, have holes in them or are leaking.

OK, I have kind of rambled on here as I have my first cup of coffee.... Sorry and best wishes on your beautiful car.
rhodyguy
Congrats! As you look deeper into the AC install you're going to note a lot of 'fixes' to reverse the install other than just the front trunk. Holes everywhere for the related lines/hoses, a piece cut from the pass side engine shelve and the same for the pass side upper engine tin, the front tin apron, and the shelve seal will need to be replaced. Prob will require an engine drop. Then the "while you're in there" fun begins and can start to overwhelm you, drain your savings, and kill the joy.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

You'll enjoy the car up there! Welcome!
76-914
welcome.png
napasteve
Welcome to the madness and congrats on the fine purchase. I love that blue. Nice to see your car staying in the bay area. It's great that the previous owner installed SS fuel lines (I just did this and it was a PITA) so your risk of engine fires is greatly reduced. You might consider fixing and keeping the A/C. That's a rare dealer installed option that adds value to your car (and there are at least a few summer days in Mill Valley that A/C might be pretty nice). I hope to see your car in person sometime.
frankieshooz
Wow! Thanks for the all the good tidings and advice! Will definitely look into some of these areas... some of which have already been sorted. Dave over at Modderman looked over it for me before I bought the car and seemed very impressed. Fuel lines have already been replaced with SS lines, Longs and HH are in fantastic shape, harnesses look good as well. I have found evidence of bodywork that everyone seemed to have missed but what damage was done seems to have been repaired very well and other than a little rot that has seemed to have been arrested under front passenger side fender there is no rust anywhere. BTW the A/C has been converted to modern R22 and works perfectly....still bugs me though...I agree with Carlos as aftermarket stereo and all that comes with it will have to go....now how do i get new door panels to replace the ones that will have big holes in them from where the aftermarket speakers go. Also need to replace front struts, front wheel bearings. Brakes are in good nick as is fuel management system and new rear shocks and springs are on there.
Anyway. if anyone has experience with Hi Tech or S car go up here in Marin or anyone/anywhere else let me know what you think or recommend.
sb914
QUOTE(frankieshooz @ Apr 23 2016, 07:49 AM) *

Wow! Thanks for the all the good tidings and advice! Will definitely look into some of these areas... some of which have already been sorted. Dave over at Modderman looked over it for me before I bought the car and seemed very impressed. Fuel lines have already been replaced with SS lines, Longs and HH are in fantastic shape, harnesses look good as well. I have found evidence of bodywork that everyone seemed to have missed but what damage was done seems to have been repaired very well and other than a little rot that has seemed to have been arrested under front passenger side fender there is no rust anywhere. BTW the A/C has been converted to modern R22 and works perfectly....still bugs me though...I agree with Carlos as aftermarket stereo and all that comes with it will have to go....now how do i get new door panels to replace the ones that will have big holes in them from where the aftermarket speakers go. Also need to replace front struts, front wheel bearings. Brakes are in good nick as is fuel management system and new rear shocks and springs are on there.
Anyway. if anyone has experience with Hi Tech or S car go up here in Marin or anyone/anywhere else let me know what you think or recommend.
914 rubber will have your door panels amongst tons of other parts you'll
Need and welcome.png
napasteve
914Rubber is working on a group buy for new door panels (thread title is "New GB door cards early and late LIKE OEM!"). I need to remove my door speakers and stereo too so I'll be replacing my door panels also. I've heard good things about Hi Tech but have not used them. Original Customs was great but sadly decamped for Michigan. I still miss them!
frankieshooz
Awesome advice keep it coming....the few things I need to do (mostly cosmetic as of now as really the mechanical seems to be in good order) BTW Michael (Cairo 94507), no leaks compression at 120 on all cylinders..
1) speedometer seems to be a replacement (no silver dot and plastic lens as opposed to glass like my other gauges) need to replace
2) exhaust system old, tired and not in great shape. recommendations anyone?
3) put original steering wheel, side mirrors (I have two stock drivers mirrors and someone drilled holes for passenger side...is it a sin to have a passenger side mirror on these cars?) and antenna (what kind?) back on the car.
4) take off aftermarket seat covers (they're ok) and have seats redone...kits?
5) rear valance looks a bit shoddy some rust needs to be repainted
6) get rid of current stereo set up from the 80's....
7) center console upholstery welded seams split...can this be fixed?
napasteve
3) as the holes are already there, passenger side mirror is nice.
4) 914Rubber has all the seat replacement stuff you'll need. I want to do a Plaid Material Kit in blue. They look great.
7) my console was splitting too and I elected to go sans console. I just mounted the temp/volt gauges under the dash with a simple 2 gauge holder. I like the additional leg room and love the look.
Dominic
Welcome to the 914 family! beerchug.gif There a bunch of owner enthusiasts here in Nor Cal.

Tom_T
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 23 2016, 12:06 AM) *

Wasn't this one advertised for sale here? She's a beauty and that kind of beauty doesn't come cheap. nice buy

Yes, it was DanK's car & advertised on here, CL, etc.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(frankieshooz @ Apr 22 2016, 11:14 PM) *

I do believe the A/C was dealer installed and I am contemplating removing the whole system as it's just fugly!!!! it does open up a can of worms: replacing the hole it would leave in the trunk, block off plates etc.. Anyway this will not be any trailer queen as it will be sharing driving duties with my beloved Mazda 94 FD3S R2....
comments, advice, help appreciated...if any of you experts are in or near marin county let me know so we can get together for some 914 education...

Frankie, I'd advise not removing the AC - since yours IIRC is the original dealer installed AC - & you're in North Bay Area where it gets hot some, & in CA/Southwest USA in general - it's a nice feature. Back then Porsche didn't really install factory air in 914s or 911s, so the dealers did them with either a DPD or VPC system, with approval from Porsche NA (same with many accessories & options, including radios for most 914s being from dealers).

I've always wished that mine had AC - being in SoCal, especially back when it was my DD & I'd get to work meetings with my back soaked with sweat & have to leave my suit or sport coat on all the time to hide it! dry.gif

What you should do - if Dan didn't already - is to convert it to the R134 with the newer rotary type compressor which are more efficient & only rob 1-3 HP, vs. the old school York one robbing 5-8 HP. IIRC AutoAtlanta has the parts, & RetroAir (see ads in "Panorama"), & maybe some local Bay Area vintage Porsche AC shops can set you up with it, or install the proper compressor from the other sources.

Enjoy your new FUN go-cart ride! driving.gif
welcome.png

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
frankiec@outrageous.net
Not sure about your statement " I realize on an older Porsche that is more of a challenge than say newer Porsche cars"??? Have you ever tried to work on a newer Porsche??? I'll wrench on a 914 any day before trying to deal with the nightmare of the newer cars. Basically on a newer Porsche's you've got to it take to the dealer or a reputable shop at $125-$150 and hour. The 914 is a simple, straight ahead car and the owner, with a little motivation, smash.gif can work on their own cars.

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 23 2016, 06:03 AM) *

welcome.png That is a beautiful 914. Before you embarked on any projects I would get it to a shop that knows these cars well and go over it front to rear looking for any issues that might not be apparent. Even on cars as nice as yours there might be something that was missed by a previous owner.

I would then focus on the fuel system to make sure it is up to date and 100% reliable. Stainless steel fuel lines in the tunnel and new rubber anywhere else with new clamps and filters. That includes taking a look into the fuel tank to see if it looks clean or not. Don't forget the fuel tank sock filter.

After that for me it would be electrical. I would look for anything not original. I am not a radio or alarm guy so for me if it did not come factory, it would be removed. I would want to make sure the factory harness and fuse block were all up to snuff and the correct fuses were installed. It is not unheard of for people to swap in higher rated fuses when they start blowing a particular fuse. I would clean all of the ground connections and tighten them. Check to make sure every single item on your car is fully functional. Once you are sure all the wiring is 100% good, then I would add whatever you desired so you know it is added correctly - stereo, etc.

Of course brakes are a big deal on our cars. At the minimum, unless the seller had just done it, I would flush the entire system and check all the rotors and pads. Make sure the emergency/parking brake is correctly adjusted and functional. Eric Shea at PMB performance in Utah http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog.html is the go-to guy for all things brakes.

Actually, Eric is now doing complete restorations so he is a valuable source for anything on these cars. We are blessed to have many people here who are dedicated to maintaining and restoring our cars. Chris at Tangerine Racing who sells the SS fuel lines http://www.tangerineracing.com/about_us.htm is a terrific guy too. So many experts supporting our community and they are all available to you.

Mechanical issues are next. Make sure the suspension, engine and transaxle are in good repair. Oil leaks? I personally can't tolerate them. I realize on an older Porsche that is more of a challenge than say newer Porsche cars, but it is possible to have a 914 that does not leak. Do a leak down and compression test to make sure the motor is healthy. If the numbers are good, unless it had recently been done, I would do a valve adjustment and complete tune-up to set a base line for driving.

Lastly, comes all the cosmetics. That is more involved too. Weather seals (Mikey914 at 914rubber.com http://914rubber.com has almost anything you need in this department), any visible body rust, bumpers that are not aligned correctly, exhaust systems that are rusty, have holes in them or are leaking.

OK, I have kind of rambled on here as I have my first cup of coffee.... Sorry and best wishes on your beautiful car.

SirAndy
QUOTE(frankieshooz @ Apr 22 2016, 11:14 PM) *
Mill Valley, CA

I used to live in Mill Valley, back in the canyon on Eldridge ...
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.