914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mk114
I have two ea 1.7 l motors but with two different trans
one is a side shifter the other is a rear which is better

(both work perfect) will be a summer cruiser no racing or other apps
mk114
also do anyone know where I can get a windshield seal top and bottom
CptTripps
Side shifter is the better of the two. The 'tail shifters' bar is a lot longer, and not as easy. They tend to get real sloppy.

Your other question needs to be posted in the 'Classifieds/Parts' section.
Joe Ricard
Depends on what your car is set up for. if you decide to use the side shift then you have to use all of it including the gear shift selector as it is different too. There is a special fire wall bushing for early car swapping to side shift. Going from late to early is near impossible without getting the pivot ball located on the firewall. not that I could imagine why anyone would do that.
DonTraver
Go with the side shifter.

My 6 came with the tail shifter. It was a sort of hunt and peck, hope I'm in the right gear, let the clutch out, oh damn, wrong gear.

Go with the side shifter, muuuuuch better.
tat2dphreak
I'll agree with everyone here... neither are as good as say, a modern, honda tranny, or anything modern really, but the sideshifter is still better... unless the bushings are bad... then you are screwed...

with my first 914 they had converted it to side-shifter, but didn't replace the bushings, or even instll the firewall bushing... and they bent the rear shift-bar instead of changing the engine mount bar... that thing was NOT fun...
Rhodes71/914
I just converted my 71 to a side shifter when I replaced the 1.7 with a 2.0. I have to say that once I figured it out the shifting is as easy (almost) as any other stick I'v had.

With the tailshifter and worn out bushings it was anybodies guess as to what gear I would end up in. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.