Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lemfoerder turbo tie rods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
Gents,
I am about to purchase Lemfoerder turbo tie rods for my build. I am going to buy the the boots separate from them and am curious if I need to buy the washers. I can't remember what came off with the stock 914 tie rods and if they did have washers are the compatible with the turbo tie rods. Thanks.
ThePaintedMan
Order them. There has been some debate on whether different years of racks require them or not - but if you don't order them, but need them, you'll be stuck. They're not that expensive.
Gearup
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 23 2016, 01:37 PM) *

Order them. There has been some debate on whether different years of racks require them or not - but if you don't order them, but need them, you'll be stuck. They're not that expensive.

Thank very much Sir
TheCabinetmaker
To my recollection, the boots and washers come with the kit.
ConeDodger
I don't recall what does and does not come with the kit, but I do recall the difference before and after! aktion035.gif
TC 914-8
QUOTE(Gearup @ Apr 23 2016, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 23 2016, 01:37 PM) *

Thank very much Sir

If you order from pelican parts they include them in their kit. Also order the bump steer washer kit for $12.00 or so.
I just installed the whole kit and enhanced my steering No
wheel shimmy and my steering is tighter than ever!!!
r_towle
You do not use the large washer on the rack end when installing turbo tie rods or you won't be able to thread in the fitting enough.
No debate on that fact.

There is zero difference in the racks at the tie rod end, or bushings and fittings.
The only difference in racks from early to late is the pinion gear assembly.

the thick washer gets tossed in the trash.
This is a safety issue, so please use common sense and look at the setup versus reading online forums.
It must be threaded in enough to be safe.
The washer has no purpose in a 914 application.
The boot mounts without it.
You will not be able to adjust your toe in enough when using the washer.

Rich
ThePaintedMan
Sorry Rich, I guess I remembered wrong. So that washer was only for 911 applications?
r_towle
Turbo tie rods are a 911 part.
The kit comes with parts for a 911 (sorry, not sure what year 911)
For the 914, due to both geometry and safety, the washer is not used.

Rich
mepstein
Don't 914's/914-6's have the same front geometry as a 911.
r_towle
Try adjusting the toe with a washer....it will be toe out...
ThePaintedMan
There must be a difference in track, or a difference on at least the 930 Turbo, for which these were designed.
ctkellett
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 24 2016, 09:25 AM) *

Try adjusting the toe with a washer....it will be toe out...

I am confused, if the washer does not allow enough adjustment wouldn't that mean it would be toe in, not out? If it was toe out, you would just dial in more threads, right?

I am in the middle of doing replacement this so that is why it is fresh on my mind. The stock kit that I took off of the car had a large treaded washer between the rack and tie rod arm that was fairly close the the thickness of the washer that came in the new turbo tierod kit from pelican. The threading on the rack side of the tierods are not threaded all the way down to the base so they will need some sort of spacer anyway I am guessing then?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.