Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for lower alternator bracket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldog9
Seems my lower alternator bracket is broken, any recommendations on a good source? I think I bought one from a forum member 3-4 years ago, but cant remember who. TIA
Bulldog9
Well, thanks to Rhodyguy, I have a good OEM lower bracket. I had a great time meeting Kevin and his wife today, THANKS Kevin!
rhodyguy
My pleasure Steve. I look forward to seeing the E in person.
Bulldog9
GRRR, went to swap out the alternator bracket, found that the upper was broken as well. Looks like Mr Gorilla hands (what my grandfather nicknamed be because I used to break everything by tightening too much) was involved with the alternator assembly. Fun Fun....

Changing out the brackets and alternator is not a big deal, pretty easy actually. Once you remove the bolts, loosen the tins and take the front plate off, the alternator moves up out of the way and easy access to the bracket bolts.

Looking at the broken brackets, I have no idea why the lower bracket broke other than I only used wavy washers to bolt to motor. Already have that covered. For the upper, I did bend it by accident when putting the exhaust in and had to bend it back, must have cracked where it was clamped.

Off to see Rhody Guy and beg!
rhodyguy
No begging required.wink.gif only brown vehicles are allowed on the property while fetching used parts.
Bleyseng
70 amp alt?
Bulldog9
Thanks to Rhodyguy, I'm up and running again, a new upper and lower alternator bracket. I think I know why the lower broke. The upper bracket was just a flat bracket and was designed to anchor at the bottom on the exhaust manifold (like on a bus). Because I am running the Tangerine exhaust the long flat bracket just hung there, and because it allowed more flex it probably stressed the lower bracket which caused it to break. The upper bracket broke right where it was clamped on the alternator (got bent a few times). You can see that in the pic above. I also used flat washers on the lower bracket to help get a larger bite on the bracket.

The new upper bracket is short, and has an L to it so will have more rigidity. I noticed an immediate difference when I tightened the belt, it always flexed before, and is super solid now, so here's hoping!

Thanks again Kevin!

New short with angle.
Click to view attachment

I also finally connected the door light switches and was pleasantly surprised that they work!
TheCabinetmaker
Bracket does not attach to the heat exchangers. Lower bracket should have a nylock nut or it will back off and the bolt will slide forward and cut the belt in half
rhodyguy
This is on a 912E. Steve explained to me how there was an attachment point on the stock heat exchangers unlike a 914.
TheCabinetmaker
Hey, thanks kev. Didn't see that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.