Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor Vacuum Question /6 2.7l
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I recently built a 2.7 /6. I am getting the final details worked out. I have modified zenith carbs. I am using E cams cause I am going more for lower end torque. Anyway- I have a 2.7l distributor which has a vacuum advance. The carbs have been modified and have the vacuum ports plugged. I can unplug them if needed. Do I need to hook up the vacuum advance on the distributor? If I don't, what ill effects will I notice? My car is setup for spirited street driving.

I know very little about vacuum advance distributors. My previous engines did not have them. I am finding a lot of conflicting information.
colingreene
Really you dont want to run that distrubtor at all.
you have so much throttle area that the slightest movement of the throttle pedal will drop all vac.
What you want is something that is entirely mechanical or crank fire.
The best thing you can do if you insist on running it is, hook up all the vac lines to a manifold then feed a vac signal straight to the distributor.
patssle
You can have the the vacuum advance removed and the distributor recurved for carbs and rebuilt. That'll give you even better throttle response and performance. But it's costly.

This guy is probably the best (and he did mine) but $$$$: http://flat6recurve.com/
PanelBilly
Had mine done by Jerry Woods. Price was reasonable and it was done quickly
porschetub
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 24 2016, 01:45 PM) *

Had mine done by Jerry Woods. Price was reasonable and it was done quickly

True billy its not rocket science you need a dizzy tester and the knowledge to change to the right advance springs and that's what JW has been doing for decades.
Have just purchased 2.4T one and that's easy cause the vacuum advance is actually a 10 degree retard and can be removed...done and dusted for me ,next job is to strip it and clean it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.