Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New lightweight air cooled power plant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
Click to view attachment
Gunn1
Click to view attachment
bretth
Looks like an old snow mobile Wankel rotary motor? Cool.

Brett
Gunn1
QUOTE(bretth @ Apr 24 2016, 11:14 AM) *

Looks like an old snow mobile Wankel rotary motor? Cool.

Brett

Yes it's a 303 Curtis Wright (wankel)Made by Sachs. Came out of a mid 70's Arctic Cat snowmobile. While I was joking about it being a possible power plant. They are quite powerful for their weight, also far less moving parts than a traditional internal combustion engine.

Still runs like a top!
matthepcat
.3 liters? smile.gif
ssuperflyoldguy
Those things rocked! I wrecked my Grandfather's brand new snowmobile that had one of those - it wens so quick that my hand was on the trigger and couldn't let go an Gpa tumbled off the back - I dead centered a tree - Good Times!
Gunn1
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Apr 24 2016, 09:38 PM) *

.3 liters? smile.gif

303 cc's blink.gif
veekry9
Well then,12 X 0.303=3.64 L.
Like the offshore boat guy's 12 rotor,meeting a need no one could supply.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=12+rotor+wankel
Nothing easy about it though,pricey to develop.
biggrin.gif
love it tho.
/
bretth
Would be funny having to reach into the engine compartment to tug on the pull starter at every start up. biggrin.gif I used to have an old 1970 Skidoo 335cc single that I revived from the dead several years ago. Was a damn tank and loud as hell with the intake pointing right at your belt line. One good backfire there would be very bad. Can only imagine the sound of that rotary engine winding out.

Brett
Gunn1
QUOTE(bretth @ Apr 25 2016, 07:48 AM) *

Would be funny having to reach into the engine compartment to tug on the pull starter at every start up. biggrin.gif I used to have an old 1970 Skidoo 335cc single that I revived from the dead several years ago. Was a damn tank and loud as hell with the intake pointing right at your belt line. One good backfire there would be very bad. Can only imagine the sound of that rotary engine winding out.

Brett

Had a 72 Ski doo TNT white face, very fast and light sled.
Back in the day while banging across the lake it backfired on me
No burns but the percussion from the bang shredded the heavy duty zipper leaving my old Wheelhorse snow bibs hangin from my shoulders. Not cool!
Gunn1
Maybe?

Click to view attachment

a 2.0 liter 4 wheeler
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bretth @ Apr 25 2016, 08:48 AM) *

I used to have an old 1970 Skidoo 335cc single that I revived from the dead several years ago. Was a damn tank and loud as hell with the intake pointing right at your belt line. One good backfire there would be very bad. Can only imagine the sound of that rotary engine winding out.

Brett

Ha-Ha, my buddy had one of those when we were kids. Someone broke down and with 3 passengers the crotch of his suit kept getting stuck in the intake. The old rotax engines had no air cleaner. He was swearing all the way back to the cottage.

For years we bugged him for years about having a dick big enough to choke a ski-doo. laugh.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 25 2016, 04:09 AM) *

Not sure but think these were used in some microlight aircraft also?
mb911
Yup I used to work for Leading edge air foil a ultra light engine supplier/rebuilder and always had calls to rebuild those.. No thanks
bretth
Found this pic from 1994.
Click to view attachment
Gunn1
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 1 2016, 03:23 PM) *

Yup I used to work for Leading edge air foil a ultra light engine supplier/rebuilder and always had calls to rebuild those.. No thanks

the manual that came with it is titled "Curtis Wright" rotary engine
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bretth @ May 1 2016, 07:55 PM) *

Found this pic from 1994.
Click to view attachment

I think that's the one my buddy had, maybe a couple years later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.