Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What has your 914 done for you today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
To carry on with the "what did you do" "what did you find" threads, I figured a "what has your 914 done for you" thread would be appropriate .

Most of us do so much for our 914's they must give something back, or do something for us to continue investing the time, money and effort into them.

The replies can range from true inner philosophical feelings, to the silly or stupid reasons why we are so endeared to our cars.

I will start with what my 71' parts car is doing for me currently.Click to view attachment
bandjoey
Absolutely the best looking Rust Guage I've ever seen.. beer.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Mine took me where ever I wanted.
Gunn1
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 25 2016, 06:16 AM) *

Mine took me where ever I wanted.

I am hoping mine will to someday......
jor
Mine contributed to the retirement plans of a painter here in Los Angeles.
Gunn1
QUOTE(jor @ Apr 27 2016, 05:47 PM) *

Mine contributed to the retirement plans of a painter here in Los Angeles.

That's a good one!
Cairo94507
Not a thing except make me wonder when it will be home.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 27 2016, 06:16 PM) *

Not a thing except make me wonder when it will be home.

I would pass the off ramp and keep driving!
era vulgaris
It makes routine errand running fun.
What would be a boring chore to most people in their modern blah drab wuss-a-matic cars, is for me a challenge to nail every apex of every curve, make every double clutch downshift smooth as silk, for every upshift to be in the next gear and back on throttle at the precise moment the revs fall into place, and most importantly, to find the longest twistiest way to get where I'm going. And to be able to do all that without breaking traffic laws and it still feel thrilling, is what my 914 gives me.
TheCabinetmaker
Double clutch downshift? chairfall.gif
era vulgaris
What, you don't double clutch? I don't let anyone drive any car I've owned that doesn't know how.
TheCabinetmaker
Double clutch is something I learned very young on my 55 Chevy six. 50 years ago! No need to double clutch a 914. I let no one drive my 914!
era vulgaris
Do you HAVE to double clutch a synchro gearbox? No. Should you? Yeah if you want to reduce wear on your synchros. Plus, it's way more fun to double clutch. driving.gif
But then, I also prefer records over tapes, cd's, and mp3's; and I also cook with a stove and oven, not a microwave. Sometimes I think there's a handful of people in my generation that thinks some of the previous generation's conveniences are an inconvenience. And yeah, I'm one of those idiots shades.gif
Besides, I find it amusing to wonder what the people that slow me down are thinking when i rev my engine twice when I come up behind them happy11.gif
mark04usa
914 took wife and I over to Shady Hollow for dinner with friends. Cars first trip out of the neighborhood since last year and a half of upfixin piratenanner.gif Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
I now have three on my ignored user list
green914
My 914 has keep me broke for the last 20 years. lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(green914 @ Apr 28 2016, 10:25 AM) *

My 914 has keep me broke for the last 20 years. lol-2.gif av-943.gif

So basically like having another kid???
matthepcat
My 914 stinks up my garage and helps support the struggling oil corporations.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 27 2016, 10:40 PM) *

Do you HAVE to double clutch a synchro gearbox? No. Should you? Yeah if you want to reduce wear on your synchros. Plus, it's way more fun to double clutch. driving.gif
But then, I also prefer records over tapes, cd's, and mp3's; and I also cook with a stove and oven, not a microwave. Sometimes I think there's a handful of people in my generation that thinks some of the previous generation's conveniences are an inconvenience. And yeah, I'm one of those idiots shades.gif
Besides, I find it amusing to wonder what the people that slow me down are thinking when i rev my engine twice when I come up behind them happy11.gif

So I had to do a search on double clutch shifting. I ended up reading a 4 page thread on the bird site and learned quite a bit about it.

My dad taught me the basics of driving a manual in his Mazda B2200 and then drove his 951 a bit before he sold it. That was about 20 years ago and never got more advanced than the basics of shifting so double clutch and heel-toe shifting are things I'll need to practice if (when) I get a 914. Having not driven a manual for two decades (and only briefly when I did) it may take some time to get proficient with the advanced techniques let alone the basics.
Gunn1
Today one of mine made my back sore and my mind boggle.... screwy.gif
Heeltoe914
Today my 914 completed a 1400 Mile Drive in 4 days from the Route 66 classic... it needs a bath oil change and a valve adjustment and a good vacuum cleaning. Curious what her next adventure might be?
malcolm2
Click to view attachment

DROVE IN THE RAIN.... shades.gif

My daughter ended up behind us driving down town for dinner.

Rain was predicted all weekend and it never really happened. Good thing, I think I put 200 miles on the car.

Yee Haw.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ May 1 2016, 08:20 PM) *

Today my 914 completed a 1400 Mile Drive in 4 days from the Route 66 classic... it needs a bath oil change and a valve adjustment and a good vacuum cleaning. Curious what her next adventure might be?

Beautiful car...is that the Sunflower yellow?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.