Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield install - proof of how great this site is.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

This weekend I re-installed the windshield and trim, using info from a bunch of the great threads on this site.

The PO set the windshield with way too much butyl and no trim...so it looked pretty gnarly. The glass was sitting too proud and low to just add trim, which is why I had to pull it out and reinstall.

I never installed a windshield before...but thanks to you guys it came out way better than expected and I thought I'd recap what I learned from this amazing community.

- Use piano wire to cut out the old butyl and remove the windshield
- Mineral spirits to clean up the butyl residue
- Chop off the old trim clips using a putty knife and hammer
- Dry-fit the windshield and use tape to mark the proper placement so it goes down right.
- Apply butyl primer before laying the butyl down
- Use 5/16 butyl bead
- Don't push too hard on the corners when setting the windshield
- The trim installs with a satisfying "snap" (totally!)

And here's one extra tip to add to the knowledge base... Buy a few extra trim clips. The stud can bend like a nail if you don't hit it just right.

Mark and his team at 914rubber.com produce gorgeous trim...and it arrived in perfect condition due to their careful packing. The dash pad and top are also from them.

Just wanted to say thanks and share some pics!
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
LowBridge
sweet job...
mepstein
Looks like a new car.
rick 918-S
Wow! That trim looks awesome!
ThePaintedMan
Very. nicely. done.

At this point, I think everyone should start considering replacing both the front and rear windshield sealant. My car's windshield was only being held in by the trim when I got it. The butyl does have a finite lifespan, and I'd hate to see someone pop out their windshield on a panic stop, avoiding the car in front of them only to see their windshield shatter on the ground.
iankarr
Thanks guys.

I agree with the painted man. The butyl in my windshield was only 15 years old, but I could already see it getting a bit tough in spots. Def not as pliable as new.

The job is a bit of a bitch...but not difficult. Probably a 3 on the scale...mostly because cutting out the old stuff and cleaning up the residue takes time and patience (and a shit ton of rags). That, and you'll have butyl under your fingernails for a week.

A second person is needed to pull the glass and set it. Unless you don't mind breaking it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.