Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Stud Nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Put my H/E's on last night and tried using the nice new copper nuts I got from Pelican. I, nor my son could get them started. When I looked closer I noticed that they are oval. Are they supposed to open up as you put them on?
SLITS
I don't think so......did somebody crush your nuts ohmy.gif .................. in shipping?

Don't worry, I'm sure we can come up with some round ones dry.gif

PS....call Wayne and tell him he crushed your nuts....it'll brighten his day!
Allan
I found some to at least get them on and snugged up for the ride. Got my exhaust on as well. It's an interesting set-up. I think I'm going to need to add a brace or strap to it. Seems like it's going to bounce around alot at the tip.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 31 2005, 10:13 AM)
I found some to at least get them on and snugged up for the ride. Got my exhaust on as well. It's an interesting set-up. I think I'm going to need to add a brace or strap to it. Seems like it's going to bounce around alot at the tip.

do you have an exhaust hanger on the back of the trans to support the exhaust????
Joe Ricard
The copper alloy exhaust nuts are supposed to be oval. 8mm x 1.25
eeyore
Every replacement copper exhaust nut I've used has been ovaled.

If I recall, they were flanged on one side, and ovaled on the other.
Dave_Darling
The nuts are oval, and they are hard to turn down onto the studs. That's their "self-locking" feature. If they're hard to turn onto the studs, they'll have a hard time backing themselves off of the studs.

--DD
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 31 2005, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 31 2005, 10:13 AM)
I found some to at least get them on and snugged up for the ride.  Got my exhaust on as well.  It's an interesting set-up.  I think I'm going to need to add a brace or strap to it.  Seems like it's going to bounce around alot at the tip.

do you have an exhaust hanger on the back of the trans to support the exhaust????

Yep, hanger and muffler are on.
Cap'n Krusty
They are, indeed, supposed to be oval on the outside end. That's what makes them "lock nuts". However, they are NOT "copper alloy", they're copper plated steel. IIRC, the factory didn't use locking nuts on the exhaust, just regular nuts with helicoils inside rather than cut (or rolled) threads. The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
Kap'n, check your factory exhaust nuts again. Mine had a slice in the side of them, which deformed the nut slightly and gave it a self-locking property.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.