Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breakdown #2 this week, AAA tow gets more business
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Well, those electrical gremlins are at it again....this time it was not the relay board or at least I'm pretty sure it is not.

This weekend I'll be taking the engine harness out and clean and inspect it all.....

skline
That sucks, I hope you get it figured out soon, the WCC is coming up in 22 days.
pete-stevers
good luck! I hate electrical "poltergiests" mad.gif
Joseph Mills
That's gotta be frustrating. sad.gif

But looks like you have a good plan of action..

Lemme guess... cellphone camera? biggrin.gif
Randal
Mike,

Just a heads up that AAA only allows 3 tows per year under the 100 (whatever) program.

Randal

ppickerell
QUOTE (joseph222 @ Mar 31 2005, 01:57 PM)

Lemme guess... cellphone camera? biggrin.gif

andycam laugh.gif
neo914-6
about time for a transplant... laugh.gif
datapace
Whelp, better get it back up on the jackstands, like the rest of us!

-bryan
Mueller
QUOTE (Randal @ Mar 31 2005, 02:58 PM)
Mike,

Just a heads up that AAA only allows 3 tows per year under the 100 (whatever) program.

Randal

I was told 4 per year...too bad they don't roll over the unused tows...I think I was tow free last year smile.gif

It's my b-day next week, I'm looking at Haltechs and SDS systems right now, I'll have to ask the wife if I've been a good boy, hahahahaha
Andyrew
That sucks!!!

Make sure you have one tow saved up for the wcc!!!

Andrew
TimT
I'm looking at Haltechs

Mike if you go with Haltechs, dont forget about us biggrin.gif
scruz914
Mike,

Sounds like you should change the title under your avatar. It is hitting too close to home.
neo914-6
AAA only allows 3 tows

I can't get any long tows for my first year. Can I borrow your card biggrin.gif
john rogers
Mike, for our stock 1974 D-Jet car we have two sets of jumpers with banana pins at the ends, small flashlite and a small drawing for my daughter so that if this happens she can pull the relay cover and replace the relays at connectors 30 and 87 and then get home. So far it has been used twice in 7 years, both times at night, of course. One of the things I did was open the top of both large connectors and clean out the corrosion (green stuff) and repair a couple of bad pin connections and that has never been a problem since. Good luck
brant
QUOTE (datapace @ Mar 31 2005, 03:30 PM)
Whelp, better get it back up on the jackstands, like the rest of us!

-bryan

good one!
LvSteveH
Glad you made it back home ok. This type of stuff really makes me question whether a 914 is a good daily driver in this day and age. “My car broke down” is no longer an acceptable excuse in the world of Hondas and Toyotas that simply don’t break. 30+ year old wires, sensors, lines, and relays make it a challenge.

Someone should build an emergency engine harness that you clamp to the battery and bypass all factory electrical, including the relay board, in an emergency. Might be a bit complex for FI though.
Brando
QUOTE (LvSteveH @ Mar 31 2005, 04:10 PM)
Glad you made it back home ok. This type of stuff really makes me question whether a 914 is a good daily driver in this day and age. “My car broke down” is no longer an acceptable excuse in the world of Hondas and Toyotas that simply don’t break. 30+ year old wires, sensors, lines, and relays make it a challenge.

Someone should build an emergency engine harness that you clamp to the battery and bypass all factory electrical, including the relay board, in an emergency. Might be a bit complex for FI though.

1. Run a wire from the - side of the starter solenoid, or starter itself into the engine bay or battery location.
2. Turn the key "on".
3. Tap the wire to the + terminal of the battery.
4. Drive smile.gif

I have fuel injection and sometimes I have the dreaded 'hot start' problem. Usually if I let it cool down a bit it won't happen. Other times I have to jump back into the trunk and tap the wire to the battery. It's usually a hit-or-miss thing. Very random.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.