Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 960
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
Porsche 960 May Be On It's Way
TheCabinetmaker
Why would a mid engine flat eight be anything like a "new 911"?
Cupomeat
Although I will never be able to afford such a thing, I still want it!
pray.gif
r_towle
Looks like a modern 928 .....front engined rear drive two door.
BuddyV
Looks like Ferrari's mean cousin....
bretth
Damn make it air cooled and the world will be a better place.

Brett
johannes
QUOTE(scotty boy @ Apr 27 2016, 05:50 PM) *

2 door panamera smash.gif

I second you ... Looks like a 2 doors Panamera and I bet it will have a V8 and not a flat 8... and optional hybrid V4...
EdwardBlume
Is there an Audi / VW version on the way too?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(johannes @ Apr 28 2016, 05:23 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty boy @ Apr 27 2016, 05:50 PM) *

2 door panamera smash.gif

I second you ... Looks like a 2 doors Panamera and I bet it will have a V8 and not a flat 8... and optional hybrid V4...

agree.gif
JmuRiz
I'll believe it when I see it...there have been rumors of this for the past 10+ years.
And these renders are just hack-jobs of current models stretched and squished to make them look like something realistic.
rhodyguy
"Horribly cool..." WTF.gif cringe. rolleyes.gif Incredibly? Sure. Extremely? Abosolutely.
iwanta914-6
I'm all for them making something like this. Porsche can almost do nothing wrong. No matter what they build, people will buy it.

I thought the Cayenne was a horrible idea, but it sold well (and saved Porsche)

The Panamera is ridiculous to me, but people bought 'em up.

The Macan, I see them fairly often.

The cars I mentioned above are a bit of a departure from what I think a Porsche should be, but they sell and sell well. A possible 2-door "panamera" type Porsche with a big motor doesn't scream Porsche to me, though they did something similar back in the late 70s with the 928.

Bring it on, sell a ton of them, and keep Porsche profitable.
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 28 2016, 07:24 AM) *

I'm all for them making something like this. Porsche can almost do nothing wrong. No matter what they build, people will buy it.

Bring it on, sell a ton of them, and keep Porsche profitable.

People will buy it because they want to be " cool" vs for the capability of the car.

As for PAG being" profitable " if you research back a good 17 years. They are the most profitable car manufacturer in the World.

They are hyping the Mkting too. Is it a good thing, ya I guess.
EdwardBlume
I studied Porsche in grad school prior to the Panamera. It is the most profitable car company on a per unit basis, but larger car companies make more money.

The key to Porsche is a decent unit sales volume which the Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera have delivered, as well as the differentiations in the 911 lineup.

What also keeps Porsche ahead is its technology which it licenses to other car companies. However, with the age of electric cars, I'm not sure where Porsche is.

One thing is for sure, the make is still a source for dreams, but rich guy dreams. The secondary market for their cars stink. Reliability issues, no dipstick, expense to maintain.. IMHO the enthusiasts on the secondary market is where Porsche really perpetuated the dream in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, but that system is failing.

A healthy secondary market and lots of UIOs is healthy for a premium make. I think there's a get it while you can mentality around air cooled because of this gap.

So what's the prescription: a lower end club Porsche with a 35-50K price point, a new 914 if you will. The problem - if its a really great car, it will just block out the cayman / boxster line. Not with the Boxster going to a Turbo 4, you can guarantee there will be no cheaper option.

Too bad. I think Porsche could sell many more units and take a high / low strategy far, but here in 2016 - the high / high strategy is working just fine.
Rob, excellent dissection of PAG. I guess that's why you have an MBA vs my BS degree.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 28 2016, 08:16 AM) *

Rob, excellent dissection of PAG. I guess that's why you have an MBA vs my BS degree.

There's plenty of BS in my MBA. I also thought the Panamera would be a colossal failure based on its price point compared to the 7 series BMW and other high end variants. It turned out Porsche expanded the category.
Darren C
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 28 2016, 02:12 PM) *

Hmmm,

Looks a lot in profile like the Bentley EXP 10. I'd place a bet they share the same platform and base cockpit shell.

A real Pity.

I thought Bentley had sold out to the wishy-washy bland "all look the same" designs.

Take away the badges from the latest offerings from Aston Martin, Jaguar, Bentley, and now Porsche and the layman would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

I don't know about you guy's but I like my Porsches to be trail blazers in iconic design, to stand out from the crowd and shout PORSCHE......not melt into indistinguishable cloned blobs.

To me the 960 needs a paternity DNA test on a Jerry Springer show.

Yes it has it's fathers nose, but sure looks like a "brother from another mother"

Sure it's bound to sell well. A lemon with a Porsche badge would sell, young folk today are pretty dumb when it comes to heritage, style, taste and individuality.

EdwardBlume
I like the 718...

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/718/usa.a...dium=email#home
Darren C
Don’t get me started on the new Boxster 718…….they are all very nice, look stunning and sound fantastic but after having one for a few days I failed to “bond” with it.
There’s something that I have thought long and hard trying to identify that’s missing. At first I couldn’t put my finger on it.

It’s like when you have a really bad cold, and you don’t quite feel you’re “with it”

The driving experience is disconnected. It’s blatantly obvious that your actions are being turned into binary 1’s and 0’s, precisely analysed, computed and acted upon. The feel and driving experience in return, coming from the car is also subject to this process.
It’s a little like having a conversation with someone from Kazakhstan using “Google Translate”

A proportion of the meaning and nuance is lost in translation.

It’s akin to wearing a 1890 heavy brass divers helmet. You feel safe, yet claustrophobic with weighted down shoulders while your senses are suffocated and oppressed; desperate to escape, so as to draw a breath of clean fresh air.
It’s a total enjoyment vacuum for a car enthusiast who likes driving. The knife through the heart is the Bl**dy “blue motion” engine turn off within a Nano second of the car being stationary. Stop, start, stop, start, stop, start, stop, start, the hesitancy between releasing the foot brake and pulling away while you wait for the engine to start drives you nuts. I know you can disable it but for heaven’s sake it’s supposed to be a sports car not a Greenpeace campaign bus.

Would I have one….good god NO!

This is all very sad; from a chap who’s owned many Porsche cars for over 30 years and is a true enthusiast for the Marque. It was as disappointing as being seduced by the beauty and allure of a siren, only to find out it was a Taiwanese lady-boy.

Driving my 914 is 1000 times more enjoyable and engaging.
QUOTE(Darren C @ Apr 29 2016, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 28 2016, 02:12 PM) *

Hmmm,

Looks a lot in profile like the Bentley EXP 10. I'd place a bet they share the same platform and base cockpit shell.

A real Pity.

I thought Bentley had sold out to the wishy-washy bland "all look the same" designs.

Take away the badges from the latest offerings from Aston Martin, Jaguar, Bentley, and now Porsche and the layman would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

I don't know about you guy's but I like my Porsches to be trail blazers in iconic design, to stand out from the crowd and shout PORSCHE......not melt into indistinguishable cloned blobs.

To me the 960 needs a paternity DNA test on a Jerry Springer show.

Yes it has it's fathers nose, but sure looks like a "brother from another mother"

Sure it's bound to sell well. A lemon with a Porsche badge would sell, young folk today are pretty dumb when it comes to heritage, style, taste and individuality.

If funny you say that lots of these cars that are under the VW Corporate Brand...do share lots of the same components. Smart strategy to reduce development cost and drive up profits....per my high school Porsche Master Tech.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Darren C @ Apr 29 2016, 12:43 PM) *

Don’t get me started on the new Boxster 718…….they are all very nice, look stunning and sound fantastic but after having one for a few days I failed to “bond” with it.
There’s something that I have thought long and hard trying to identify that’s missing. At first I couldn’t put my finger on it.

It’s like when you have a really bad cold, and you don’t quite feel you’re “with it”

The driving experience is disconnected. It’s blatantly obvious that your actions are being turned into binary 1’s and 0’s, precisely analysed, computed and acted upon. The feel and driving experience in return, coming from the car is also subject to this process.
It’s a little like having a conversation with someone from Kazakhstan using “Google Translate”

A proportion of the meaning and nuance is lost in translation.

It’s akin to wearing a 1890 heavy brass divers helmet. You feel safe, yet claustrophobic with weighted down shoulders while your senses are suffocated and oppressed; desperate to escape, so as to draw a breath of clean fresh air.
It’s a total enjoyment vacuum for a car enthusiast who likes driving. The knife through the heart is the Bl**dy “blue motion” engine turn off within a Nano second of the car being stationary. Stop, start, stop, start, stop, start, stop, start, the hesitancy between releasing the foot brake and pulling away while you wait for the engine to start drives you nuts. I know you can disable it but for heaven’s sake it’s supposed to be a sports car not a Greenpeace campaign bus.

Would I have one….good god NO!

This is all very sad; from a chap who’s owned many Porsche cars for over 30 years and is a true enthusiast for the Marque. It was as disappointing as being seduced by the beauty and allure of a siren, only to find out it was a Taiwanese lady-boy.

Driving my 914 is 1000 times more enjoyable and engaging.

Well done sir! Very nicely written! aktion035.gif
Darren C
Didn't know if any of you guy's had seen this?....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y25dYXbr5M

and behind the scenes

http://petrolicious.com/behind-the-scenes-...-718s-in-sicily

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.