Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 oil tanks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
paintracer1
Finally getting my 914/6 together and one question I don't think I've seen asked is what tank is best in your alls opinion. Stock/reproduction oil tank or go real cheap just use a 911 oil tank( will work fine ?)(just gonna have to figure out how to mount it?) Don't be that cheap! or get a Peterson 16 qt up front and be done with it ? More oil the better? Dropping in a 2.8 later may switch to a 3.6. Is it all about $ or How nice you want it? or size of motor and what ya going to use it for. It's going to be used 95% of the time as a weekend street car and it might see a DE a handful of times in it's life. Thanks for any insight into this decision.
Dr Evil
Check with Eric Shea at PMB. They had a tank at Hershey that they are producing, IIRC, for sale and it is very nice. Not the most expensive thing. 911 tank wont work.
colingreene
based on the questions you are asking i would say you have some more reading to do.
a 911 tank will not work in this car at all.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 27 2016, 07:58 PM) *
911 tank wont work.

QUOTE(colingreene @ Apr 27 2016, 08:08 PM) *
a 911 tank will not work in this car at all.

agree.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(paintracer1 @ Apr 27 2016, 05:44 PM) *
Stock/reproduction oil tank or go real cheap just use a 911 oil tank( will work fine ?)(just gonna have to figure out how to mount it?) Don't be that cheap! or get a Peterson 16 qt up front and be done with it ? More oil the better? Dropping in a 2.8 later may switch to a 3.6. Is it all about $ or How nice you want it? or size of motor and what ya going to use it for. It's going to be used 95% of the time as a weekend street car and it might see a DE a handful of times in it's life. Thanks for any insight into this decision.

I'm not sure if anyone still makes reproduction tanks, Patrick Motorsports maybe?

I have a DW reproduction tank for my 3.6L and it works great, but he stopped making them a long time ago.

I don't like the tanks up front as it puts the oil far, far away from the engine (too far IMHO).
popcorn[1].gif

mepstein
Eric Shea sells Ben's new reproduction tank. Ben used my oem Porsche 914-6 tank as a template to make his tank. He is an expert welder and his reproduction tanks are top notch. I am using one in my 6 conversion. The comment from our Porsche 962 mechanic was - very nice product. Yes, buy his tank. He is also making other 914 conversion products for our cars.
porschetub
QUOTE(paintracer1 @ Apr 28 2016, 12:44 PM) *

Finally getting my 914/6 together and one question I don't think I've seen asked is what tank is best in your alls opinion. Stock/reproduction oil tank or go real cheap just use a 911 oil tank( will work fine ?)(just gonna have to figure out how to mount it?) Don't be that cheap! or get a Peterson 16 qt up front and be done with it ? More oil the better? Dropping in a 2.8 later may switch to a 3.6. Is it all about $ or How nice you want it? or size of motor and what ya going to use it for. It's going to be used 95% of the time as a weekend street car and it might see a DE a handful of times in it's life. Thanks for any insight into this decision.

Please read up a bit more and then go the the wtb/fs section and bingo theres one on there for sale at this moment or the guy that's makes them you can contact ,don't forget the oil filler pipe,oil filter console,oil lines return and suction,tank breather hose,it mounts up to be very expensive and then you add an oil cooling system for the larger motors.
You could just contact PMS and get what you need but that's $$$$ that you could spend elsewhere.
welcome.png sorry nearly forgot.
mb911
Welcome to the board.. I infact build 914-6 oil tanks and Eric Shae from PMB sells them for us.. They have 22mm fittings so you can use the stock oil lines or go larger if you want.. That is the norm for reproduction tanks. I use internal baffling and .625 id plumbing just as stock factory tanks did.. Tanks are $600 oil fill necks are $135 and oil filter consoles will be done so shortly (waiting on machinest) and will be very commpetive as well..

My belief while developing them was to make a very high quality tank but yet very cost effective. If you look at the competition we are priced in such a way you will save about 400 on the package..hope this helps.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
barefoot
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 28 2016, 07:14 AM) *

Welcome to the board.. I infact build 914-6 oil tanks and Eric Shae from PMB sells them for us.. They have 22mm fittings so you can use the stock oil lines or go larger if you want.. That is the norm for reproduction tanks. I use internal baffling and .625 id plumbing just as stock factory tanks did.. Tanks are $600 oil fill necks are $135 and oil filter consoles will be done so shortly (waiting on machinest) and will be very commpetive as well..

My belief while developing them was to make a very high quality tank but yet very cost effective. If you look at the competition we are priced in such a way you will save about 400 on the package..hope this helps.

What is the capacity of your tanks ? nice looking product
mepstein
Here's the guy who gave the the thumbs up on Ben's oil tank. Taking a break on the 962 to work on the V12 Mirage.
Since you have the opportunity to mingle with these exotic.
Any 993RS intake laying around ? I know, I should unload vs buy......
mb911
QUOTE(barefoot @ Apr 28 2016, 04:23 AM) *

What is the capacity of your tanks ? nice looking product

They are about 1/2 quart larger then stock because of the squared off edges..
mb911
V2.0 laser cut nowClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 8 2017, 11:04 AM) *

Why buy PMS with quality like that ,top notch Ben ($200 cheaper than PMS),as mentioned the 911 tank is a no go ...ask me how I know,bought one real cheap with the intention of modifying it or making my own using parts off it ,just not easy,selling it to a 911 guy who can't find one so all is golden.
As I have mentioned before the PMS filler doesn't work with a stock tank (dipstick length) sure Ben will have his fitting right.
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 7 2017, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 8 2017, 11:04 AM) *

Why buy PMS with quality like that ,top notch Ben ($200 cheaper than PMS),as mentioned the 911 tank is a no go ...ask me how I know,bought one real cheap with the intention of modifying it or making my own using parts off it ,just not easy,selling it to a 911 guy who can't find one so all is golden.
As I have mentioned before the PMS filler doesn't work with a stock tank (dipstick length) sure Ben will have his fitting right.

I have one of Ben's old tanks and fillers. Fits and works great. New tank looks even nicer. smilie_pokal.gif

Ben took the measurements for his tank from my original 914-6 tank so that's probably why everything works so well.
gms
Unless you are building an original 914/6 to show I would get one of Ben's tanks.
They have more oil capacity, are more thermally conductive and are cheaper than the PMS or OEM Porsche tanks.

As others have indicated a 911 tank will NOT fit in the original 914/6 location with modification.
mb911
Also a note if you look at the pictures this one is built for a passenger fender. sad.gif . one of my guys bent it backwards..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 8 2017, 04:37 PM) *

Also a note if you look at the pictures this one is built for a passenger fender. sad.gif . one of my guys bent it backwards..

Aussie version?
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 8 2017, 01:45 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 8 2017, 04:37 PM) *

Aussie version?

Lol yup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.