Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.8/6 with CIS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
Anyone have a realistic estimate of the potential output of a 2.8 (rsr) with CIS?

M
TimT
250hp

CIS doesnt like radical cams like RSR grinds though. Is this a running engine?
Part Pricer
96 HP biggrin.gif
seanery
I hate CIS barf.gif boooooring
redshift
I was shown pictures of the 911 it is in, today.

Guy has about 20k in the motor, and his ex-wife has the title, so he is either selling it, or less likely, turning into a club racer project. He has a terrible back problem, and big metal rods.. just to stand up.

M
Cap'n Krusty
The answer is zero HP. An RSR engine wouldn't even start if it were CIS equipped. The Cap'n
redshift
Oh well, I don't need more trouble.

smile.gif

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 31 2005, 07:09 PM)
Anyone have a realistic estimate of the potential output of a 2.8 (rsr) with CIS?

well, first, agree.gif with those other guys - the right answer is somewhere between 0 and 250, because "something" is wrong with that picture.

"RS" and "RSR" are letters lots of guys like to toss around hoping few will understand what they mean really.

*real* 2,8RSR's were rarer than hens' teeth since they required special heads, cylinders, and pictons

a real 911/72 high-butterfly MFI 2,8 RSR produced 308 HP at 8000 rpm.
like John says - you'd never get it started with those cams and the 10,3:1 compression wouldn't live on pump gas.

my guess is it's a 2,7 with 92mm cylinders and something like 964 cams. i'm sure it's a very nice engine, but $20k won't buy you the parts for a 911/72. the high butterfly injection is about $15k itself. add in $5k for the twin-plug distributor, cap & rotor and a couple-grand for each cylinder head and you'll be in the ball park.

i see lots of guys talking about their "RS-spec engine with Webers"... pick one, it ain't both...
redshift
The guy is an auto rebuilder, with a super-collision center chain, and a bunch of vettes.

He said, "2.7 done up to 2.8, with blah, blah, blah..." and I asked him if it had carbs, and he said, nope.. CIS..

I don't think he really knows what all is done, but he named Eilbach as the builder, and said he paid $20k+ to upgrade it. FLA guy, from south of JAX. He also claims to have a semi load of 911 front ends, wheels, interiors, motors, injection, etc, and he has a 930TT I have seen.. and a ship load of early vettes.. damn!

The most interesting thing I got out of him was that he sees WRX motors everyday, but he said they go fast to experimental aircraft guys, for real money, if low miles. He also said he could hook me up with Chevy crate motors for cost, and has a line on a couple Pantera transaxles, from wrecks.

He crushes 200 cars a month, and rebuilds mostly chevy trucks, for export.

M
ArtechnikA
donno the name Eilbach, but i believe all the rest.

with that kinda money available i'd put on Motec or Haltech.
$20k goes in a hurry at a $100/hr shop...
redshift
Yeah..

I threw the rest of that out there to see if there were any bites from East Coasters on snagging 911 upgrade parts. It's not far away, I want to drive down, and sneak a peak..

I am in such a state of indecision on my 914 situation, I can't do much but drool on myself, and wish I knew what I wanted to do. The last plan was throw money at it.

Honestly, I am sickly depressed over my car, and I think we all know that it's something I can't get beyond. I bring it up every chance, it's not healthy, and shouldn't be a factor in how I feel.

I need a bit more than a nice car.

How sad.. smile.gif

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 31 2005, 09:05 PM)
see if there were any bites from East Coasters on snagging 911 upgrade parts. It's not far away, I want to drive down, and sneak a peak..

I need a bit more than a nice car.

i am always interested in snagging 911 upgrade parts...
both for the 911 and the 914.6
it's too far for me to just sneak away tho...

i think we *all* need more than a nice car, although sometimes a nice car can make up for some of the other stuff - to an extent - for a while.

it's just a car.

things change, and we adapt, and we make it through the dark times.
sounds sappy but i have BTDT.
you have a support system here if you choose to avail yourself.
but we're not psychic and you can be a bit - ah - obscure at times...
let us know what you want, and what you need.

maybe not the whole group, but i think you know the people you can depend on to be straight with you...
ArtechnikA
during my dark and lonely times, one of my favorite songs was David Wilcox' "Eye of the Hurricane." i had this verse on my white board for a long time:

Tell the truth, explain to me
How you got this need for speed
She laughed and said
"It might just be the next best thing to love"

Hope is gone, and she confessed
That when you lay your dream to rest
You can get what's second best
But it's hard to get enough
redshift
Yes.

So noone is left in the dark, I have let my bad judgment rule my brain, and I need to let it go..

I have been dwelling on this car for 2 years, as of... maybe sometime around today. It's consumed many of my resources... time, for instance, and my obssesions with other things have compounded things, by leaving me less time to do something about it, as an unfinished plan, gone worse. My last self reinvention, has left me with far less time, and lots more concentration.

The sum is, I am mentally all over the map..

...and I know that made sense.

laugh.gif or not..

M
xitspd
Triangle, Square and Circle have more in common than RSR, 2.8 and CIS barf.gif It makes no sense at all! Be careful!
propricer
Have a 2.8L with GE80 cams and Webers which cost about $15K about 10 years ago ... put out probably 260-270HP.
Had in my 914-6 with 917 front brakes ... car was an absolute MONSTER - the ONLY thing that ever could come close was a 900CC Ninja !

Key, in my estimation, is the cams and smaller carbs !

Will be redoing as a twin plug and would expect closer to 300HP ... might go crankfire.

Hope that helps ... Ed
Root_Werks
Buddy of mine has a 2.8 with carbs and Solex spec cams (I think). I wager he is putting out around 240-250hp. Slightly bumped comp and a little porting on the heads. 40/36's on the carbs I think? It's in a 911, but it still just screams. I would love to have that engine in a 914!
nebreitling
sell your car, miles, and buy someone's finished /6.

start fresh.
redshift
All good stuff, nice advice..

I feel better today. My skill at my vocation are showing well, and I have rededicated myself to becoming the best at what I do..

Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead.

This place is great.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.