Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Balljoint wiggle...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
On my newly restored car I tried on my other wheels the other day and I noticed quite a bit of wiggle in the drivers side balljoint, the balljoints are new Lemforder ones bought from Pelican about a year and a half ago and I've only driven the car around the block twice so maybe a mile at the most.

https://youtu.be/1gPlFXrJoOQ

Here's a clip of the wiggle....not sure what would cause this on a new part?

anderssj
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Apr 28 2016, 01:51 PM) *

On my newly restored car I tried on my other wheels the other day and I noticed quite a bit of wiggle in the drivers side balljoint, the balljoints are new Lemforder ones bought from Pelican about a year and a half ago and I've only driven the car around the block twice so maybe a mile at the most.

https://youtu.be/1gPlFXrJoOQ

Here's a clip of the wiggle....not sure what would cause this on a new part?

Given that it's a new ball joint, the problem could be the bottom of the strut . . .

Is that an early pinch-bolt or later wedge-pin ball joint/strut? On my early car, the pinch-bolt on the strut wouldn't fully tighten on the shaft of the ball joint. Can't remember the fix--we may have ended up using a thin shim wrapped around ball joint shaft so the strut/pinch-bolt could get a better grip.

Hope this helps.

Steve A-
r_towle
If it's early, many times the bottom of the strut gets oval where the ball joint fits in.

I gave up after two sets of strut tubes and upgraded to the later trust tubes, rotors, brakes etc....it's a whole package
falcor75
Yes the struts are '69 911 struts, with the pinch bolt.

Would really suck if they were toast sad.gif
914fahrer
Hello,
I think this is an older Strut they have different ball joint s

Click to view attachment

for the newer this one

Click to view attachment

for the older strut is this ball joint.
The older one is secured with a normal M10 Bolt an not with the
special Bolt.

Ralf
Mikey914
Definitely a different manufacturer, at least different tool.
ThePaintedMan
It's difficult to see what the actual problem is in the video. It does look like the strut is moving independently from the top of the ball joint. I'd highly doubt the ball joint itself is worn out. But I hate to tell you this, but you need to separate the ball joint and the strut so we can actually see what's going on. Rich's explanation of the 'ovaling' makes sense though.
JamesM
It looks like the strut housing is not tight on the balljoint, I have had the same problem with the early ones as well. If the strut housing is starting to strip you will never be able to get the bolt tight enough to clamp on the ball joint. You could try to get a longer bolt and throw a nut on the back side of it in order to torque it down better. If that doesent work then the housing may be ovaled
falcor75
I woke up at 3 am with creeping suspicion, just checked back in my emails and I ordered the 914 '74 balljoints from Pelican (911.341.049.05) but I should have ordered the 901.349.049.04? Not sure if there's a difference since they look the same in the pictures.
914fahrer
Hello,
the correct Part number is 901-341-049-04 truh chassi number 4722919032 have
the cars the earlier strut.But I think the hole in your Strut is oval i would check this first.The only difference is the cut out for the bolt.

Ralf
falcor75
I have no idea what chassis number the struts are from but I've ordered as set of cheap -04 balljoints to test with. With any luck they'll work better. If the hole is ovaled then I'll just have to find a pair of better condition struts.
falcor75
New early type balljoints installed, wiggle completely gone.

Case closed.

drunk.gif
mepstein
beerchug.gif
914fahrer
Fine that this works. smile.gif

Ralf

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.