Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Junkster Arrives...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
CptTripps
The rust gods were smiling today as the 914 'parts car' I purchased showed up just a few min ago.

Here is the eBay auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4537974580

So I'm $306 into it right now. The bumpers were decent looking, so I figured for $300, I get a set of 916 bumpers that I can paint. Not too shabby.

I didn't want to spend a lot getting it up here, so I thought...AAA! First, I called the owner and asked him to throw the hood and steering-wheel on it, seats and guages inside, and push it onto the street. I called AAA an hour later, and they were on the way to get my 'stranded' car. biggrin.gif

It showed up at about 5:30 tonight. Would have been sooner, but 'Tim' couldn't find my street.

user posted image
CptTripps
We got her on the ground...and here's how it sits.

user posted image
CptTripps
Here's one of the 3 reasons I bothered. The 916 front bumper is damn-near perfect.

user posted image
CptTripps
Reason #2 - Rear 916 bumper...DECENT, not perfect, but VERY repairable. Just a small crack above the lic-plate.

user posted image
CptTripps
Both fenders seem to be in good shape.

user posted image

user posted image
CptTripps
Wipers....What the???

user posted image
CptTripps
Reason #3. I'm not sure if it'll run, but the 1.7 in it had these carbs attached. If it's re-buildable, I'll have fun with it. If not, O-Well.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
CptTripps
Interior is TRASHED. I love that it came with one fiberglass, and one metal rocker panel.

user posted image
CptTripps

Trunk full-o-crap
user posted image
CptTripps
Interesting spot for the antenna...

user posted image
CptTripps
Where EXACTLY did this mirror come from?

user posted image
CptTripps
Here is what I found in for a pass-side long.

user posted image
CptTripps
All 4 Empis are polished, and in pretty good shape.

user posted image
Aaron Cox
single barrel solexes...... 34mm irc?
CptTripps
So there you have it. That's what $400 worth of effort will net you in the mid-west.

Anything jump out at anyone as 'rare' or 'worth taking off the car'?

biggrin.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 31 2005, 08:17 PM)

No clue...I know they are single-barrel. 34mm seems about right.

Worth putting on eBay?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 31 2005, 06:19 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 31 2005, 08:17 PM)

No clue...I know they are single-barrel. 34mm seems about right.

Worth putting on eBay?

not really....
100 bucks or so if in good shape....
Joe Bob
Good score..... pray.gif
LongARM
Yup.... nice purchase.
smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
I did the AAA thing with a parts car a few years back....I just told them on the phone that the car just quit running.......driver noticed no engine/no transmission and was a good sport about it and towed it 90 miles one way......he could have told me to pound sand, but didn't mind the nice long drive....I tipped him for him taking the car smile.gif

looks decent, what are your plans???

just for parts??
CptTripps
It's without question un-restorable. The frame is COMPLETELY rotted. I can't even open the pass-side door because that's what is keeping it from sagging to the ground. I'm going to spend tomorrow yanking the bumpers off of it, the motor out of it, and I'll grab brakes and a few other things...just to have, but then were going to sawzall it into bags that I'll take to the office with me every day for a few weeks to 'dispose' of it.
skline
I am not a big fan of the front 916 bumper but it is in very good shape. I do however like the rear 916 bumper and it looks very fixable. The mirror looks like its off of a 1965 Ford. The glass looks usable from what the pictures show. I couldnt tell if there was a crack in the front windshiled or not. The only thing it will cost you now is time, your time.
CptTripps
The ultimate goal with my 'real' car is something like this..

user posted image

user posted image

The front glass is cracked, but the rest of it is good. Door skin is 'fair' but I think I'll keep what I have on mine. Todd wanted a door I think, so he can take whichever he wants.
SpecialK
Don't forget the bonus side-shifter tranny! beer.gif

Always good to have a spare. wink.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (Special_K @ Mar 31 2005, 09:11 PM)
Don't forget the bonus side-shifter tranny! beer.gif

Always good to have a spare. wink.gif

Shit...I didn't even think of that. I have a spare tranny now...and while I'm at it, I need the steering column out of it too...man, this thing is a gold-mine!

smilie_pokal.gif
Ctrout
I like the full set of engine lid letters that appear to be in good shape. I think that alone makes the deal worthwhile. Mine suck. Broken letter C, metal letter R that doesn't match the other plastic ones... I won't get around to them until I get all of the mechanical and more obvious cosmetic things fixed.
CptTripps
I'm going to be carefull with these. I may actually just paint this engine cover and hang it up in my office. biggrin.gif

We'll see...I'm not sure what's what yet. I know tomorrow is going to involve a LOT of trash bags, a wrench or two, and a sawzall! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
cdmcse
You should turbo the 1.7 burnout.gif

If you are willing to part with it, I could use that throttle cable setup on the engine. I need something better than the mickey mouse job I had before.

Good Deal though!
CptTripps
QUOTE (cdmcse @ Mar 31 2005, 09:59 PM)
You should turbo the 1.7 burnout.gif

If you are willing to part with it, I could use that throttle cable setup on the engine. I need something better than the mickey mouse job I had before.

Good Deal though!

That is EXACTLY what I wanted it for.

First I'll send it out to get worked on (that'll be a different thread) and then I'll move it to the basement and take my time fabricating the turbo for it. I picked up a garret off of a Saab I used to own. We'll see if we can make that work for me...

What part do you need exactly? I'll see if I can get it out of there for ya.
Grimstead
You found yourself one great bargin. ohmy.gif Looking forward to hear about all the usable stuff you get out of. smilie_pokal.gif

mueba.gif
cdmcse
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 31 2005, 10:03 PM)

What part do you need exactly? I'll see if I can get it out of there for ya.

This is the little jewel I need if you can part with it.

I would love to get an extra engine to play around with a turbo too. That would probably give the car the extra ooomph that it seems to lack.
CptTripps
PM me your address. It may take me a few days to get it all pulled and shipped, but I'll see what I can do.
tdgray
Looks pretty good Doug smilie_pokal.gif Nice score

I'll call you about Sunday, Hell I might even be interested in those EMPI's. Better than the steel wheels I've got now.

Drivers Door looks pretty good.

How are the door jambs, any good?

Talk to ya soon.
CptTripps
Sweet...It'll be here. =)

I can't get the pass-door open. I think it's keeping the car in one piece right now. There is NO pass-long. Zip, nada, notin' honey.

I'm going to pull the bumpers and the motor tonight. We'll talk about the empis. I'm sure we can work something out.
kafermeister
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Apr 1 2005, 09:50 AM)

I'm going to pull the bumpers and the motor tonight.  

Hmmm....I still need one more piece from behind the front bumper if you're interested in cutting a section out for me. ($25 + ship) I can post pics of what I need.

R
CptTripps
So after a day of monkeying around...here's what I've learned.

#1 - This thing is a REAL POS!

#2 - The reason the pass-door wont oopen ISN'T because it was stuck...the latch is holding that side of the car together.

#3 - The 916 bumpers MAY work for me...may not either. My exaust pipe is in a different place than his was. I may down-turn my exaust.

#4 - It was host to 16 wasp nests, 3 mouse nests, and there was a dog-turd in there...must have been a hell of a party!

Front hood it great, trunk lid is trash. I took the duck-tail off and I'll bet it there was 2lbs of debris under there. I jacked-up the pass side, and the door opened right up. I was able to get the aluminum thresholds out of there, and then closed it back up again.

I think I'll break even on parts, and have a few spares, so I don't think it was a waste of time/money.

Monday, I'm going to chop it up with the sawzall, and give her a proper burial...in a bunch of bags...in a bunch of pieces...and haul it to the curb for the trash-guy on Wednesday. biggrin.gif

I've got everyone's requests. If it's worth saving, I'll get it for ya.
GWN7
What did the wife say? biggrin.gif

Your still able to type, so I figure no broken bones? biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
you should get close to all your money back if not turn a bit of profit. check the locks and see if they're all keyed the same. how are the heat exchangers? even a fair set can be worth some money. assorted and rear tail light lenses. how's the targa bar pad? some shrewd selling, add in the "value" of the bumpers, and you can show the wife the money you made on this one. if you want to try the rear spoiler on your car, paint it to match when you do your car. no need to drill holes in the one you have. color match the trunk. nice grab. when you cut it up can i get the door sill support triangles from you?

k
CptTripps
Wife: "Oh dear....just get it out of here quickly" She's 100% cool with it. "Can you get the $120 for the tow out of the parts?"

Locks: Different.

Heat Exchangers: No clue. It's snowing again mad.gif so I'll have to look at those when I drop the engine out tomorrow.

Triangles: Done...shoot me a PM with your info, I'll ship them out next week.

bjorn jacobson
I'd be interested in the shifter and shift knob.
Thanks,
BJ
CptTripps
There is a chance I may need it, but if not, she's all yours. Just pay for shipping.

PM me your info...
jd74914
Make sure you save the relay board and cover (and all of the relays all over the car), and the headlight and wiper motors for your extra parts stash. They seem to be kinda pricy items that you might need at some time.
CptTripps
Here's a few more 'Glamour Shots' of the Junkster.

What hell hole?

user posted image
CptTripps
Here's the pass-long. Or...where it used to be. biggrin.gif

user posted image
CptTripps
You can see here, there is only about 6" of rusty metal holding the entire pass-side together.

Some in the mid-west would actually consider rebuilding this one...

user posted image
bd1308
did anybody get it?
CptTripps
Get what?

Read the whole thread dude...It's been in my driveway for 5 days now. wacko.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Apr 4 2005, 08:41 PM)
Get what?

Read the whole thread dude...It's been in my driveway for 5 days now. wacko.gif

the car man.....if it's still there i might take it off your hands
CptTripps
Aaah....

No, I'm going to chop it up this weekend. Todd Gray is coming up on Sunday and we are going to pull the engine, and then chop it up. If you want to come up on Sunday and yank parts, be my guest!
bd1308
engine a 1.7 or 2.0? if its 1.7 PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE gimme a good deal on a 1.7 MPS????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.