Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kind of Cylinders are these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
HansJan
The 1972 914 I bought is supposed to have 103mm Nickies (by LN-Engineering) with JE-forged pistons.

The car caught on-fire, so I had to remove the engine. After doing so I find that the cylinders are magnetic. Nickies are made from Aluminum, so this is suspicious.

Is any of you able to recognize the make of the Cylinders in the below pictures. There is one picture with some marking on it. I do not want to disassemble the engine any further then needed.

I only own this car for two weeks now, but going up a very steep learning-curve. very soon I will be able to help others. But for now I'm only asking questions.

Br,
Hans Jan
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Sorry to hear of your car. In regards to your question, I think you already know the answer.
rhcb914
Those are AA cylinders.

http://aapistons.com/
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif

At this point, I'd be willing to bet the pistons aren't JE's either. But no worries. That's why we're here. I saw the video - that sucks. You got taken by the previous owner, but you're certainly not the first one. It can all be rebuilt. Of course it takes more time and $$ out of your own pocket, but we'll help you figure it all out.
HansJan
Even though this is bad news, you guys are the best.
I have looked at the AA-website, but cant find the machine size for the register. If this register is bigger then 108.5mm the Nickies won't fit anymore.

Anyone knows the register size for AA-cylinders 103mm?
Valy
The orange silicon tells a lot about who built this engine. You don't want it there.
914Sixer
You will have to disassemble the engine to find out what you have. If it is running good just tell everyone you have a mystery engine.
Mueller
Nickies are machined, those are cast cylinders, I hope you didn't pay for Nickies!

Mueller
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 28 2016, 07:51 PM) *

You will have to disassemble the engine to find out what you have. If it is running good just tell everyone you have a mystery engine.

And if you sell it don't misrepresent the motor like the person you bought it from
rick 918-S
What video? What did I miss? Maybe not the engine it's supposed to be but if you had a fire you have way more on your plate now. If that engine runs good don't worry about it. Sort it out after you fed the car repaired. welcome.png
ChrisFoley
Those aren't 103s.
The case registers are probably unmodified.
jdm914
It might be worth while to have a long talk with the previous owner who miss represented the engine! Not only the piston cylinders not as advertised but you never never use RTV in building a 914 engine.
Mark Henry
If you paid nickies coin for that you have been hosed.
I'd be just a tad pissy about it.
boxsterfan
Who sold you the car and are they a member here on 914world?
iwanta914-6
More about this unfortunate event in this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=277029&hl=
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jdm914 @ Apr 29 2016, 11:18 AM) *

It might be worth while to have a long talk with the previous owner who miss represented the engine! Not only the piston cylinders not as advertised but you never never use RTV in building a 914 engine.

RTV is OK under the cylinders. Also a little RTV rubbed into paper gaskets (no excess) is OK as well.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 29 2016, 11:34 AM) *

More about this unfortunate event in this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=277029&hl=

blink.gif
Valy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 29 2016, 08:36 AM) *

RTV is OK under the cylinders. Also a little RTV rubbed into paper gaskets (no excess) is OK as well.

No, it's not ok at the registers. It means that when you torque the heads you actually measure the RTV elasticity. This will allow vibration in cylinders and heads worn the cylinders and create leaks when the RTV cracks.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 29 2016, 07:24 AM) *

Yes , about a $3000 difference plus machining costs..
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 29 2016, 12:03 PM) *

No, it's not ok at the registers. It means that when you torque the heads you actually measure the RTV elasticity. This will allow vibration in cylinders and heads worn the cylinders and create leaks when the RTV cracks.

rolleyes.gif
Over 25 years and hundreds of T1, T4, and /6 engines built, except for one cam/lifter related, no failures.
How many engines have you built?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 29 2016, 12:38 PM) *

rolleyes.gif
Over 25 years and hundreds of T1, T4, and /6 engines built, except for one cam/lifter related, no failures.

I know it's not a six thing, don't know about 4's.
jdm914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 29 2016, 08:38 AM) *

rolleyes.gif

There are better and more appropriate sealants available for engine assembly especially for air cooled Porsche as VW motors. Also there are locations where no sealant is better. (cylinder to case seal) BTW I have also built hundreds of four and six cylinder Porsche engines since 1973.
Mark Henry
Point is I've never seen a failure.
It was how Gene Berg did it, so that's good enough for me.

Besides every builder has their favorites, some like curil-T, I've tried and think it's garbage. I have a couple unopened tubes if anyone wants it.
Three bond I like, but quit using teflon dope on the PR seals, because I could see it when I cut open filters, now I use dow 55 which is way better, etc.
Mark Henry
BTW just an FYI I've also used both Jake's and Supertec's sealant kits.
iwanta914-6
Well, this thread went a bit off topic... Turned into a battle of "how many engines have you built?"
Mark Henry
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 29 2016, 01:37 PM) *

Well, this thread went a bit off topic... Turned into a battle of "how many engines have you built?"

Whatever...someone had a different opinion based on internet knowledge. My point is there's more than one way to seal an engine properly.
Different builders different opinions.
jdm914
Good point... It is unfortunate that this new 914 owner started out with a very bad experience plus the fact that the previous owner misrepresented the car.
Puebloswatcop
I think we should all concentrate on finding the SOB that sold our 914 friend the car and have a bit of a chat with him about ethics and morals..... chair.gif ar15.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jdm914 @ Apr 29 2016, 02:41 PM) *

Good point... It is unfortunate that this new 914 owner started out with a very bad experience plus the fact that the previous owner misrepresented the car.

You're right and this is back on topic.
I've seen this and buying without a PPI, it happens so many times with the buyer leaving the hobby forever. I absolutely hate it. dry.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 29 2016, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 29 2016, 07:24 AM) *

Yes , about a $3000 difference plus machining costs..

flag.gif
Valy
@Mark: So did the guy that rebuilt that engine...
Many wrongs don't make it right.
And if you want bravery stories, I've rebuilt turboprop engines. How many of those did you rebuilt?
The VW engines are like tractor engines. They will take a lot of abuse before they fail.
But back to the point, RTV on the registers is wrong. I'm trying to help here not to show off the size of my balls.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 29 2016, 03:51 PM) *

And if you want bravery stories, I've rebuilt turboprop engines. How many of those did you rebuilt?
The VW engines are like tractor engines. They will take a lot of abuse before they fail.
But back to the point, RTV on the registers is wrong. I'm trying to help here not to show off the size of my balls.

This reminds me why I rarely offer any engine rebuild advice, not worth the bother, too many armchair experts. rolleyes.gif
Back to the sandbox where everyone is an asshole, but no one seems to be butthurt about it.
Valy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 29 2016, 01:27 PM) *

This reminds me why I rarely offer any engine rebuild advice, not worth the bother, too many armchair experts. rolleyes.gif
Back to the sandbox where everyone is an asshole, but no one seems to be butthurt about it.

Or is it because you don't find a Gene Berg answer for every question?
Copying is easy. Understanding why is a different story.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 29 2016, 04:27 PM) *

At least we can all agree that the sandbox is our home piratenanner.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 29 2016, 06:59 PM) *

Valy I apologize, I didn't realize I was arguing with a 14 year old High School girl.
Valy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 30 2016, 05:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 29 2016, 06:59 PM) *

Valy I apologize, I didn't realize I was arguing with a 14 year old High School girl.

You never do. KMA.gif
HansJan
Sorry. I havent visit the site for a few days, and was not aware that so many members got upset. Im the buyer, that only got to drive this car to the state inspector. It caught on fire on my way home.

Of course I am very upset to have bought a car with Nickies Cylinders, but recieved it with AA parts instead.

One of you mentioned that they are probably not even 103 mm. How can you tell?

Btw: the seller is a member of this site (Glenn Wright, calling his operation NineOneFourRacing).

Br,
Hans Jan
HansJan
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 29 2016, 05:56 AM) *

Those aren't 103s.
The case registers are probably unmodified.

This is a coincidence. I emailed you last night (asking about fuel supply tubing, to replace the hoses).

Please advise how you can tell that these AA cylinders are not 103mm.

Br
Hans Jan
r_towle
Well, the best way is to measure the piston diameter, or the cylinder.

If that won't work, or you don't want to take the head off ( might want to leave it alone for now) you could measure the outside diameter but down at the cylinder, not the cooling fins.....

Let me take another look at your pics, it may be visible near the case....
r_towle
I think Chris is right, the 103's just about touch the studs and yours appear to have some room.
I have a set on my motor, but it is not something I could take a picture of at this point.

Maybe
McMark or Mark Henry could show you.....they both have/had 103 mm cylinders.

Rich
porschetub
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 3 2016, 10:55 AM) *

I think Chris is right, the 103's just about touch the studs and yours appear to have some room.
I have a set on my motor, but it is not something I could take a picture of at this point.

Maybe

Rich

Good spotting,no machining gone on there,just plain old AA 96mm kit,most likely has the original Chinese rings also sad.gif .

I use Loctite sealer around cylinder bases never had an issue,this is case/component sealer,never saw RTV in the label,nevermind each to their own,we all know what works for us.

Really hope the owner can sort this with the seller,fraud involved here ...no question.
HansJan
Good spotting,no machining gone on there,just plain old AA 96mm kit,most likely has the original Chinese rings also sad.gif .

Really hope the owner can sort this with the seller,fraud involved here ...no question.
[/quote]

This is breaking my heart. Not Nickies and now not even the right size. Then I probably won't have the 'custom' Camshaft and Crankshaft with 'performance rockers and lifters either.

It is the policy of this community not to defame its members. The seller is part of the 914world community. So... Lets leave it with that. Maybe I can report in a few months that justice has taking place.

Thank you all, for your support.
Br,
Hans Jan
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 2 2016, 06:55 PM) *

Maybe

Rich

Nickies would be silver aluminum, a magnet will not stick to them, they would also have ARP head studs with 12 point nuts.

IPB Image

This pic will give you an idea how much material is left when you machine for the 103 register.
IPB Image
Mueller
[quote name='Hans Jan' date='May 2 2016, 08:23 PM' post='2339412']

[/quote]

This is breaking my heart. Not Nickies and now not even the right size. Then I probably won't have the 'custom' Camshaft and Crankshaft with 'performance rockers and lifters either.

It is the policy of this community not to defame its members. The seller is part of the 914world community. So... Lets leave it with that. Maybe I can report in a few months that justice has taking place.

Br,
Hans Jan
[/quote]

Anyone with internet access can be a member here, there is no guarantee every member is going to be an outstanding pillar in their (our) community.

Best of luck, if it really is that craigslist person I think it is, I have doubts it'll be handled very well, hopefully I'm wrong.
HansJan
Thank you Mark.
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 2 2016, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 2 2016, 06:55 PM) *

Maybe

Rich

Nickies would be silver aluminum, a magnet will not stick to them, they would also have ARP head studs with 12 point nuts.

IPB Image

This pic will give you an idea how much material is left when you machine for the 103 register.
IPB Image

Boy, you even have the ARP case bolts too. Way too go .
Mark Henry
QUOTE(396 @ May 3 2016, 12:25 AM) *

Boy, you even have the ARP case bolts too. Way too go .

Thanks, she is a brute in a 1700lb beetle.

Made my my own heads as well, 44x38, SSI valves, dual springs with 12mm plugs...but then what do I know I use RTV.... confused24.gif

biggrin.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 29 2016, 09:07 AM) *

Point is I've never seen a failure.
It was how Gene Berg did it, so that's good enough for me.

Besides every builder has their favorites, some like curil-T, I've tried and think it's garbage. I have a couple unopened tubes if anyone wants it.
Three bond I like, but quit using teflon dope on the PR seals, because I could see it when I cut open filters, now I use dow 55 which is way better, etc.

The 2056 I picked up from Bruce, allegedly assembled by EMW had a good amount of orange RTV as well, I havent managed to blow the thing up yet and not for lack of trying. Seems you are not the only one that uses it with success.
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ May 2 2016, 08:23 PM) *

Br,
Hans Jan

I'm sorry of your misfortune. Buying an item represented one way and then receiving another would ar15.gif a lot of people. If you can pm me the individual involved so I can avoid this person's future f/s posting.
Thanks
rhodyguy
Late to the party. You can see the parting line that is visible running down the cyl fins. That's where the 2 halves of the mold came together when they were cast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.