Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - A different kind of aircooled
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldog9
I used to do a fair bit of long distance riding, many IBA rides, 1000 mile weekends, etc. I've had my Yamaha FJR 1300 for 8 years now, it is an almost perfect bike, lightest of the modern sport tourers, and comfortable, but I almost never ride long distance any more, and have been itchy for a newer naked bike as a regular rider for a few years. I have several old Yamaha's but they are garage queens now with old chrome, etc. I'd like a (used) modern naked bike with some character and performance, midsize. Found this today.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcd/5560113731.html

Also like this, and am very familiar with the Bonneville. Performance lacks a bit, but is a nice bike http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcd/5558273669.html

I've got no experience with MG, other than admiring at a distance. Anyone have any experience? I'll probably go take a ride on Saturday, check out the Guzzi Triumph Bikes. Newer BMW's are too much $$
billh1963
Dr. Evil has several MG's...he can probably chime in.

From what I have read the modern MG's are reasonable robust.

I almost bought a Breva 750 a couple of years ago until I found a good deal on my BMW R1100R.

Click to view attachment
injunmort
i have had a few, i loved them. very dependable and comfortable. having said that, they have their quirks like bmw boxers. torque effect from crank the most obvious, but also effects from shaft. not as pronounced as bmw in my opinion but still there. i rode around the quirks and have missed my sp 1000 since i sold it. my friends that ride modern sport toured hated both my mg and bmw, totally different experience.
Bulldog9
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 29 2016, 09:41 AM) *

Dr. Evil has several MG's...he can probably chime in.

From what I have read the modern MG's are reasonable robust.

I almost bought a Breva 750 a couple of years ago until I found a good deal on my BMW R1100R.

Click to view attachment

A great bike. On my short list as well. There are also some beautiful older Airheads in my area, http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5542691984.html but I want something modern and tinker free, with little to no chrome to polish. I love my FJR, and as a 1st GEN is still fairly light for a full dress ST, but I miss the feel of my naked bikes, and just don't ride enough LD to justify it anymore.

snakemain
Click to view attachment

My 2011 version of the BMW RR series. I've changed the oil and kept air in the tires. The mirrors are the only chrome-like surface on it.
barefoot
Once you've heard the sound of a Duke, nothing else to consider:
http://www.ducati.com/hypermotard/versions.do
injunmort
there was a guy here in brooklyn ny that back in the 80's and early 90's built some monstrously fast mg road racers. i think his name was manfred hect. if you ever heard any of his creations raced in anger, you would remember, they were the best sounding bikes on the track. i think they went by name "raceco".
Bulldog9
QUOTE(barefoot @ Apr 30 2016, 06:53 AM) *

Once you've heard the sound of a Duke, nothing else to consider:
http://www.ducati.com/hypermotard/versions.do

Not a big Duc fan..... No skinny jeans botique jackets and pointy shoes for me av-943.gif lol-2.gif shades.gif
Bulldog9
Went and rode the Griso today. All I could think was "How have I never ridden one of these before" I really liked the bike. Had a very unique feel and look. Footpegs were a bit tight for this old chassis. The Dealer Moto International In Seattle has some killer deals on Moto Guzzi ($7000 off MSRP) on the Norge (down to $9999 and 3-5 K off on other models. The FJR with its 140HP inline 4 is a totally different animal, but I really enjoyed the MG. Again I'm asking "how have I never rode one of these before"

I'm gonna stick with what I have for now, but I really enjoyed the test rides today. MG is definitely in my future. Also rode the BMW Nine T or something like that. VERY Nice, but VERY espensive....

Darn it Darn it Darn it.... That Griso is calling my name, it a 2007 4V only had 9500 miles on it. He will basically take my FJR as a trade, a little extra in his palm and....
Andyrew
I rather enjoy my Triumph Tiger 955i, its a bit tall of a bike, but that distict tripple sound is pretty nice and 105hp is not bad. About as well rounded of a bike as I have ridden, big though.
Bulldog9
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 1 2016, 11:16 AM) *

I rather enjoy my Triumph Tiger 955i, its a bit tall of a bike, but that distict tripple sound is pretty nice and 105hp is not bad. About as well rounded of a bike as I have ridden, big though.

I had a Tiger 995, liked it, but never really used it for what it was made for.
Bulldog9
Well, I bought the Guzzi, and couldn't be happier. Air cooled riding once again.

I rode my 1979 Yamaha XS1100 from 1984 to 1996 with joy and love in every ride and no regrets. In 1996, I was doing all kinds of long distance riding, and was a bit of an Iron But addict, so as my precious Gem of a bike started to age, and got close to the 100K mile mark, the only thing that carried the water was the BMW K Sport Touring and Kawasaki Concours 10. I bought the Concours and loved it, put over 95K miles in 8 years. I sold it in 2003, and after my 2nd deployment to Iraq in 2005 bought a Yamaha FZ1 which I wrecked in my only motorcycle accident in 35+ years of riding. As a result I brought my faithful XS100 out of mothballs and rode it until I bought the FJR in 2008 after another deployment. Right out of the box the bike was the fastest most capable bike I had ever ridden, but I NEVER loved it, never connected with it, and only rode it because it was what I owned. I'm not a cruiser guy, not a sport bike, and the only Sport Tourer I liked was the FJR. So every year I look, and ride, but diddn't love...... Feeling like goldilocks, nothing was just right.

THEN I saw the Griso.......... Everything I wanted. Classic look, Unique, as stable as a power cruiser, as agile as a lightweight naked sport bike, as powerful as a muscle bike. A 3 way fully adjustable race suspension, Big Brembo brakes, Single sided swing arm, shaft drive, 90 degree air cooled V twin, comfortable upright seating position.....oozing character and spectacular fit and finish...... The footpegs are mounted sportbike high and tight, but a 3 minute swap out of 2" lower pegs makes the seating position neutral and comfortable for these old knees.

It was a simple financial proposition, my FJR for the Griso +$500...... Its a 2007 so it has the classic Guzzi motor (not like the later 8V cam in head models), only 9500 miles. Bike is spotless, too bad its gonna get dirty ;-). All the extras I have for the FJR that can be sold on fleabay will more than cover the cost of the bike and the few additions I am going to make, so it is a win win win.
Bulldog9
QUOTE(injunmort @ Apr 30 2016, 07:31 PM) *

there was a guy here in brooklyn ny that back in the 80's and early 90's built some monstrously fast mg road racers. i think his name was manfred hect. if you ever heard any of his creations raced in anger, you would remember, they were the best sounding bikes on the track. i think they went by name "raceco".

As a Queens/Long Island Native, Manfred rings a bell...............
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.