Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7,1.8 or 2.0 cases
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
I know, stupid question, but there must be some differences.
Jake Raby
Nope, not really..

The 1.7 case is actually the stronget alloy of all -Thats why I used a 1.7 case for the 3 liter.

The 1.7 case is the weakest in the sump area, but after its beefed up a bit that case is pretty unbeatable...

The only real difference in any of the cases started in 1978 with the 2.0 Bus engine when they swapped to Hydro lifters... In those cases the oil pressure relief was quite different

The changes through the years of the 914 were minimal...

I really don't care what series the case is, they are all the same after some blueprinting.
Cap'n Krusty
Jake and I, as usual, share the same opinion. Allasame.............................................. The Cap'n
Jake Raby
Thats pretty scary....
No one ever agrees with me... smash.gif
davep
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 31 2005, 06:16 PM)
The 1.7 case is actually the strongest alloy of all

Were there alloy changes? When did they change that?

Did the early engines have the internal ribs to hold the sump baffles?
Jake Raby
The earliest "W" cases are the only aluminum TIV cases that don't have a slot for the windage tray... None of the Magnesium cases have them, but mag was only used for the earliest engines.

I noted that the "W" has it's own alloy and pretty much all the others have the "late" alloy.

Even Racer Chris' F production engine was based on a 1.7 "W" case :-)

Everyone raves about the GA case, but to me its not special at all.. Just letters and numbers.
cdmcse
While we are on the subject....

What about the rest of the internals? Is everything else different between engines except for the case?
McMark
All your questions shall be answered:

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/

Heheheh, I've had that URL memorized for about 4 years now. lol2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.