Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What engine would you have if you were JAKE RABY?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
cool_shades.gif
Last weekend Iwent to Road Atlanta to watch Chris Foley run the Tangerine Racing 914 through the curves and hills. As you have probably read , luck was not with Chris, and his car suffered an unexpected and peculiar failure of the #1 plug.
It was a shame. They had high hopes. The motor sounded good when he left, and Jake said it was pulling 186 on his dyno. It as really puzzling the way that plug failed- like you had filed a groove in it. Of course the head may have failed first. Len said he had milled those mighty thin- and that there was an area at the top of the combustion chamber that has a very thin wall to the spark plug gally. It was totally cool hangin with those guys and talking to 'em on a first name basis. Hell, they ain't gods, just motorheads. Literally. Too many hours in air-cooled VW motors. They know 'em better than I know my own di... (well, you get the idea). JAke let me climb under his car, take pictures, ask questions, stick my fingers in there and push & pull stuff. It was great. Same with Chris. The cars themselves are sorta, y'know, 15 footers. But if you know what you are looking at, there is a pearl in that rough exterior. Both pursue revised cooling (why didn't Porshe do this?). The DTM cooled one in Jake's is especiallly sweet to look at. There is allkinds of space in there once the cooling fan /shroud are moved. I guess I need to see his 912....(wishfull thinking).
SGB
Here is another of Jake under Chris's car. Too bad we didn't have time for a beer. beer.gif
TimT
Id have a 4 cam 3.8L flat 6

Jake Raby
Too many cylinders...

Real 4 cams have bevel gears anyway!

It was good to meet you too at the track.. SGB.

My car has been a work in progress for 3 years. I finally have all the mechanical stuff finished except the Nitrous install and the addition of the EFI. Both of those will be added by the end of April and it'll be time for paint. Chris added my cage while he was here so I can do the interior as well.

I typically give cars hell so I won't make a show winner out of it. It'll still get driven alot and living on a dirt road has its drawbacks if you have a nice car anyway...

When I was under Chris' car I burnt the hell out of my arms... That oil was HOT! I was so worried that he had absolutely destroyed it that I started tearing everything off that I could to see.

skline
I would still have a SBC Chevy no matter who I was.

Theres no replacement for displacement
Mueller
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 31 2005, 10:15 PM)

sounds like that would make a good slogan for a penis enlargment pill wacko.gif
Jake Raby

Yep there is...

Weight reduction.

redshift
lmao Mike...

Nice looking rig Jake!

M
Aaron Cox
twin cam 3.0 /4??? or a fatty 3.8 /6......

or a flat 12 or flat 8 laugh.gif
Jake Raby
To Jake there is no other engine than the TIV......

I practice what I preach 100%

The only other engine that I'd even consider now is a 547 4 cam.....
SirAndy
What engine would you have if you were JAKE RABY?

a 3.2L 911 six cylinder engine with fuel injection ...

hi jake wavey.gif
biggrin.gif Andy
kafermeister
I'd probably build myself a 3.0 Type IV. Then when it was done, I'd build a 3.2 Type IV. Then when it was done a Turbo Type IV.....and so on, and so on.

R
i love porsche
i agree with jake, a 4 cam carrera engine would be SWEEET in a stripped down 914, but overall, a 2056 is fine, as close as stock displacement as possible
fiid
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 31 2005, 09:15 PM)
I would still have a SBC Chevy no matter who I was.

There are lots of replacements for displacement.

as jake said - losing weight.

Also - turbos help a lot (hence how my 2.5L Subaru wagon can outrun a 5.8L Dodge Magnum (and get better fuel economy).

Chassis and suspension design help a lot as well - hence how I was able to chase down a Corvette at Sears point with a 1.7 914.

Jake Raby
My ultimate engine has been getting work done to it for almost 4 years...

92 stroke (already have the crank)
111.5mm bore( Charles is making one off Nickies just for it with encapsulated studs and etc more like a 911 cylinder)

Thats absolutely as big as a TIV can get using a stock case... I have plotted it at 480 ponies N/A with my MassIVe heads but its all a dream until I can make it happen.

I expect it to take at least 5 more years to complete since I literally have to make every part.

Mueller
Hey Fiid, here is a Subu motor for you:

Mueller
if I could have any engine, it would have to be something similar to a Ford Cosworth Indy/F1 engine MDB2.gif

dinomium
anybody got a Shoe horn?
Jake Raby
Those babies aren't aircooled though......

If it ain't aircooled I won't own it!
mattillac
QUOTE (dinomium @ Apr 1 2005, 09:44 AM)
anybody got a Shoe horn?

agree.gif drooley.gif that's the engine i would want if i were me.
Mueller
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Apr 1 2005, 10:52 AM)
Those babies aren't aircooled though......

If it ain't aircooled I won't own it!

yea, I like lawn mower engines also biggrin.gif wub.gif
dinomium
Three point zinger for Mueller!
Jake Raby
Hey! Briggs makes a bad boy!

The first performance engine I ever built was a Briggs 5 Horse with a Supercharger made from a Smog Pump from a 78 Chrysler!

It had a tendency to shatter connecting rods at idle though!

Bolted it on a snapper riding mower and gave it hell!
kafermeister
The Briggs engine in my lawn mower is aircooled and horizontally opposed. Does that count? biggrin.gif
mattillac
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Apr 1 2005, 10:56 AM)

The first performance engine I ever built was a Briggs 5 Horse with a Supercharger made from a Smog Pump from a 78 Chrysler!

dude, your a freak! laugh.gif thats a good idea! aktion035.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 31 2005, 09:19 PM)

Yep there is...

Weight reduction.

wub.gif A man after my own heart!!!!

wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.