Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire Size For 73 914 s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MotoJaxx914
Hi All

First time posting.

I am about to put tires on my 73 914 and i was told to get 195/60/15 as the performance will be better. My question is, will they rub?

The car is at the mechanic and he wanted me to get as he will mount so will be buying them at TIRERACK but wanted to be certain.

I was hoping to reach out to get feedback as to this or recommendations?

Thank You

Michael
Ian Stott
I run 205/60 15's, Bridgestone Potenza's, no rubbing. 1973 2.0, but I don' think the year or engine size matters when it comes to which tires will fit. Rims are important though, do you have original rims with the proper offset?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Dave_Darling
The year has some influence, as the early cars have a larger lip on the rear fenders. In later cars, the lip is narrower.

Rim offset is very important. VW Bug wheels will put the tires to far out in the wheel wells so that wider tires will not usually fit. Most of the time, the original-type 914 wheels will allow 195s to fit.

Why "most of the time"? Because 914s are often a little different from car to car. What fits on one car may not fit on another one--and that is before 40+ years of owner modifications. Usually one rear fender or the other is a bit tighter. The fronts are generally not a problem, though most 195s or wider will rub on the inner fender aft of the shock tower when the steering is at full lock. Most of us just live with that.

--DD
rhodyguy
What Dave said. Like buying a exhaust system. Depends what's actually on the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.