Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pedal Cluster Bracket Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
I'm getting ready to weld the mighty pedal cluster bracket on to the floor pan. I've got the holes drilled and done several test fits with the pedal cluster in place. I had to basically fabricate all the sheet metal forward of the new floor pan section, from the master cylinder mount point to the passenger side on the other side, so I'm not 100% sure about fitment, but I think it's good.

Before I weld this thing to the floor pan, anything else I should think of? What purpose does the front "hole" serve on the bracket (in the picture below), and it seems like there's clearance between it and the floor pan. Is that correct? Looking at my other car, it seems like there is a gap, and I don't see that hole serving any obvious purpose.

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 30 2016, 08:36 AM) *

I'm getting ready to weld the mighty pedal cluster bracket on to the floor pan. I've got the holes drilled and done several test fits with the pedal cluster in place. I had to basically fabricate all the sheet metal forward of the new floor pan section, from the master cylinder mount point to the passenger side on the other side, so I'm not 100% sure about fitment, but I think it's good.

Before I weld this thing to the floor pan, anything else I should think of? What purpose does the front "hole" serve on the bracket (in the picture below), and it seems like there's clearance between it and the floor pan. Is that correct? Looking at my other car, it seems like there is a gap, and I don't see that hole serving any obvious purpose.

Click to view attachment

It doesn't. I can get you a picture later of a complete section cut out of a car. I would put the pedal set housing in there to act as a jig to align the part so the pedal set witch will align with the hole for the master cylinder.
mepstein
There is a gap. Scotty welded one on mine on the "Mepstein build thread" sounds like your good to go.
r_towle
I would cut off the front and seam weld that area so it won't fill up with dirt again, and rust again....but that is my and my non show car.
BeatNavy
So the hole serves no obvious purpose...a little like any one of my kids at any given time....

Excellent, thank you gentlemen. It's getting welded in today, and another "to-do" off my list. The PO had "repaired" this area with large gobs of fiberglass and bondo. It was awesome.
914werke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 30 2016, 09:13 AM) *

I would cut off the front and seam weld that area so it won't fill up with dirt again, and rust again....but that is my and my non show car.

Having done a few of these on full floor pan jobs I had the same head scratcher. idea.gif
My solution rather than cut off that loop or weld it up was to run a bead of Seam sealer
(pic) then weld it in place.
Once painted it'd be good for another 40 yrs
mepstein
Do you think the hole could have been used for fitting on a jig when the chassis was built.
bbrock
Just did mine last weekend: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2573496 I just put it back the way it came factory. I figure it won't be a daily driver and now I know it's a spot to keep an eye on and maybe clean out from time to time. I might apply some seam sealer around the front and inside of the hole to keep the factory look but seal it up. I would keep a weep hole though to let any condensation drip out. I also wondered if water from shoes could migrate through those bolts and into that cavity. I'm not going to assume it will stay dry inside there if it is sealed shut.

I brushed on two coats of epoxy primer inside the support and on the bottom of the floor to help protect the metal before welding on. I'll follow up with internal frame coating and cavity wax.

Mine was the same as yours. I had to rebuild the part below the MC mount in from of the repair panel. I think it turned out pretty well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.