Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ne14914
I just noticed a bad oil leak. It seems to be dripping down the oil filter. The oil filter seems to be tight. I tested it with my hand - I dont have a wrench.

What is above the oil filter that may be causing the leak? The car is running fine, no loss of HP.

Any suggestions before I start taking things a part?
DNHunt
If you just had the oil changed it could be the filter not being tight. If the filter has been on the car a while with no leaks it is probably the oil cooler seals. One other thing . Have you changed the oil pressure sending unit? It can leak if not tight.

Dave
ne14914
If you just had the oil changed it could be the filter not being tight. If the filter has been on the car a while with no leaks it is probably the oil cooler seals. One other thing . Have you changed the oil pressure sending unit? It can leak if not tight.

The oil was changed a month ago and there hasnt been any leaks. I havent changed the oil pressure sending unit. How can I tell if its the cooler seals or the sending unit?
Bleyseng
Oil cooler seals are a possibilty...

Geoff
ne14914
I took it to the Texaco station and had them put it on the lift so I could get a better look. it looks like the oil cooler is leaking. How difficult is it to replace?
need4speed
Oil sender has tapered threads, so if you over tighten it, it will leak forever after amen.

(disclaimer: *sigh* again, this is type 1 info. If this is not the case for type 4 engines, then that's just one more reason for me to ditch my current ride for a teener smile.gif

My bet is it's the oil filter though. let us know.
ejm
If the pressure switch is leaking it can look like the cooler from below. The switch is beside the distributor, follow the wire down. Remove the rubber boot and watch around the switch with the engine running. Use a good light and clean the area first if there's a lot of crud, clean oil may be hard to see.
ne14914
Keep the suggestions coming - I am taking off work tomorrow to see if I can resolve this problem.

I am hoping its not the cooler....
Curvie Roadlover
I had a leak a few months ago that appeared to be coming from the filter. I replaced the filter but that wasn't it. Next I replaced the oil temp switch. Still, not it. I descided to tackle the oil cooler seals. I was told that it can be done with the engine in the car but it's a royal PITA and you end up wishing you'd dropped the engine to do it, so that's what I did. I took the opportunity with the engine out of the car to clean up the engine compartment, totally clean up the engine, paint the sheet metal and intake runners, replace the impeller (broken blades), replace the alt. belt, adjust the valves, replace the shift linkage bushings, etc. The engine was out for about 2 weeks total, but now my engine and engine compartment are spotless (well, relatively spotless). Also, it was my first engine drop (for any car) and I got a pretty good feeling of accomplishment when I got it back in and it started, and best of all, it doesn't leak oil anymore. aktion035.gif
ne14914
Im hoping i wont have to drop the engine. I have never done it before, and quite frankly, dont look forward to doing it. And I am not going to pay someone to do it. So if I do, look for a post on .....

Cdyshk's first engine drop smilie_pokal.gif
Curvie Roadlover
As engine drops go, it's my understanding that 914's are relatively easy. It's nice that the engine, tranny, heat X changers, and exhaust all come out as 1 piece.
Andyrew
Ya, 914 engine drops are easy, compared to 944 turbo engine drops.. 2 hours, vs 2 weeks (or so it seems).

Andrew
TheCabinetmaker
there is an easy to read and easy to follow article on perlican parts tech articles. I used it myself two weeks ago. took about 3 hrs, and I had to go get a wrench for the cv's in the process( couldn't locate mine).

Curt[/COLOR]
Bleyseng
If you have no place to drop the motor you can pull off all the tin to get to the oil cooler and change the seals. It is way easier to do with the motor out.

Geoff
Joe Bob
QUOTE(need4speed @ Jun 18 2003, 06:49 PM)
Oil sender has tapered threads, so if you over tighten it, it will leak forever after amen.

(disclaimer: *sigh* again, this is type 1 info. If this is not the case for type 4 engines, then that's just one more reason for me to ditch my current ride for a teener smile.gif

My bet is it's the oil filter though. let us know.

Put a type IV motor in it..... rolleyes.gif
need4speed
QUOTE(mikez @ Jun 22 2003, 01:26 PM)

Put a type IV motor in it..... rolleyes.gif

Well, I used to have a 912 engine in it. It was a lot of fun to drive, but I'm told that the 912/356 conversion is technically a lot easier (and less "destructive" to the car, all modifications are fairly simple to swap out). A type 4 Ghia conversion is a bit more challenging, and I don't really feel as if the end result would be worth that effort - I think that the next car-conversion I want to do will be to put a flat-6 into a 914. smash.gif
Aaron Cox
no, thats already been done....how about a flat 6 in a notch back? total sleeper....thats what i would do....

or a monster V8 in an old honda...smoke them ricers fighting19.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.