Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator and starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
Dealing with a starter and Alternator that both work, however apprehensive about using them due to their age and years of dormancy. There is also the time to replace them if they fail.
iankarr
But both should give you some warning before they fail. If the engine is out, I'd rebuild or replace the alternator first. A bitch to swap with the engine in the car.
mepstein
We have a local place that rebuilds starters and alternators for $25-125 depending on parts and labor needed. I've been sending all of of them through that shop before they go on the cars since it cost less than having my techs pull a unit after the fact and install a second time. You probably have a place local that can offer the same service.
Mark, your one smart person, being proactive is better than having your techs redo or worse yet. Have an unsatisfied customer return wondering why these items were not address when car was in the shop.
Now that's a great proactive strategy.
Congrats with that forward thinking.
mepstein
QUOTE(396 @ May 1 2016, 01:48 PM) *

Mark, your one smart person, being proactive is better than having your techs redo or worse yet. Have an unsatisfied customer return wondering why these items were not address when car was in the shop.
Now that's a great proactive strategy.
Congrats with that forward thinking.

I became a genius after it happened a half dozen times headbang.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 1 2016, 11:25 AM) *

We have a local place that rebuilds starters and alternators for $25-125 depending on parts and labor needed. I've been sending all of of them through that shop before they go on the cars since it cost less than having my techs pull a unit after the fact and install a second time. You probably have a place local that can offer the same service.

There is such a place here in St. cloud MN.

They've got great service and reasonable prices.

Going to see what they can do for my Porsche
Amphicar770
Had my alternator rebuilt locally. Came back looking new.

For starter I went with a more modern gear reduction unit. Have used them in several other vehicles with good results.

Mine were both working but while I had the engine out ...
Gunn1
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ May 1 2016, 09:42 PM) *

Had my alternator rebuilt locally. Came back looking new.

For starter I went with a more modern gear reduction unit. Have used them in several other vehicles with good results.

Mine were both working but while I had the engine out ...

10-4, good points
porschetub
not hard to deal with from a diy perspective ,starters are mostly a strip down and clean ,polish the commutator and recut segments then google brush length,if worn replace if beyond specs.
Same deal with altenator but replace bearings at each end ,cheap to buy and use good ones ,end of the day Bosch stuff is good and reconditions well.
Not sure about those reduction starters? and really do we need them ?not like the T4 has high compression or even the early six 2.0 for that matter,I would expect to see them pull less current from the battery which is a plus,a little concerned about durability ,time will tell confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.